Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 07:53 PM

15 posts, read 53,812 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at land in Wilcox and would like any information we can get.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 AM

73 posts, read 330,378 times
Wilcox, is very small maybe 5000 people...the area is flat surrouned by mountains...it gets pretty hot in the summer +105...the good thing is your are only about an hour from Tucson and about 2.5 to PHX...if I were you, I would visit before I bought land there...sorry to say, but not much going on in Wilcox unless you like wide open space and the schools are not the best.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:11 PM

17,833 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Lived in Willcox about 20 years ago for a bit. My backdoor neighboor is from there as well (here in Oklahoma). Willcox is about 4000 feet so it is not as hot in the summer as Tucson or Phoenix, but it can get a bit nippy in the winter. I was through there about 2 months ago and it hadn't changed much.

The town is pretty dumpy but the mountains surrounding the town are some of are great. Chiricauhuas are spectacular, Mt. Graham is great, and the Dragoons and Dos Cabezas have some nice spots.

Land should be pretty cheap there relatively speaking. There are orchards going in there these days. I think Willcox is ok since the climate isn't bad, but it certainly isn't any garden spot. I

Old 03-03-2007, 05:48 PM

15 posts, read 53,812 times
What do you mean that it is dumpy?

Old 03-04-2007, 03:32 PM

17,833 posts, read 13,750,003 times
There are really not any nice neighboorhoods in Willcox. Almost all of the housing inventory is well over 30 years old.
Because it is high desert it doesn't have any of the palm trees that lower desert towns have. It is too dry for a lot of trees or grass. Willcox just seems barren.

the little downtown isn't all that well kept up although there is some new construction (retail) at the I-10 junction and Rex Allen Blvd.

I actually considered staying there when I lived there because it is nice and peaceful and it is not too far to Tucson (beatiful drive as well).

It is definately nicer in the summers because it doesn't get that much over 100 degrees that often. When it is that dry, 100 degrees isn't too bad. But 110 degree is bad (Tucson).

The winters aren't balmy like Tucson but it is usually 55-65 degrees. I remember some days of highs in the low 40's (which is rare in Tucson).

Also Willcox gets down in the 20's and teens at night in the winter more often.

I like it there but it reminds more of an old west Texas town than it does anything else (fortunately it is surrounded by those georgous mountains).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona