Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:50 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times

Advertisements

IMO, your budget will severly restrict your options for locating anywhere in the Tucson metro area. You might google: Benson, AZ real estate for sale....see what pops up.....or Sierra Vista, AZ real estate for sale. Both are close enough for a day trip to Tucson, which has a vibrant nightlife....again, IMO. Sierra Vista is a military town, so employment opportunities will be better than finding something in Benson, however Benson is commute distance to Tucson.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Benson to Tucson is a quick 40-mile trip on I-10. I'm keeping Benson in mind come retirement time. It's a quiet, small town with standard housing available and a train that runs right alongside 4th Ave. for a while. Seems to be a decent, little town, though my living experience was 40 miles east of there in Willcox. I just like Benson's close proximity to Tucson.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:34 AM

108 posts, read 100,220 times
Yes I've noticed only a handful of houses within the City in that range..We have been saving up for awhile to even afford that. I was thinking as close to Tucson as possible but still able to afford a detached home. Just wanting suggestions on towns that are large or subdivisions with a park and some form of water within a 1 hour driving distance [we kayak almost daily in the summer]. I haven't researched the job market much outside of the city, thank you for the insight. I will check out Benson that was on the list to visit

Old 11-01-2016, 09:50 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,645 times
I'm just going to throw this out there since you want views and water....have you considered far east Mesa or Apache Junction? The views of the Superstitions are fantastic, Saguaro and Canyon lakes are minutes away as is the Salt River and housing is much cheaper than most of the valley. Also, all the big city a amenities are not far away.
Just giving you some options.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:11 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
For lake kayaking, Parker Canyon Lake just west of Sierra Vista is an easy trip thru Ft Huachuca with an available permit. If you are experienced and adventurous you can try kayaking the San Pedro River (just east of Sierra Vista) during the monsoon season. Most of the time, with the exception of a short stretch, the river is either dry or under the surface, but during monsoon, it can be thrilling....and dangerous. During high water flow periods, the river is not for the casual lake kayaker.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-22-2016, 03:18 AM

10 posts, read 11,454 times
What Maverick974 said. Very practical, and very doable.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:31 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
I agree with Maverick. I know you want rural, but Apache Junction has easy access to the Superstition mountains and its corresponding lakes. Tucson is not a bad option either as it has a lower cost of living.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:39 PM

Thanks all! We are fully booked for the trip. Exploring as much as possible until we return during the heat. Apache Junction area down throughout Tucson are on the list this time around.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:24 PM

A HUGE thank you to everyone for all the posts replies and other threads! AZ is not what I pictured but I loved it. We drove from the Gateway Airport through Tucson and down to Bisbee. Stayed in Catalina, Tombstone, and Mesa. Loved Tucson entirely. It was a little cold? 55-60 and now it claims its in the low 70s. Lucky you, its currently 28 and snowing out my window. Will be making the much needed trip during the HEAT next year! Locals I met seem to love it but a lot originally from the East Coast or Midwest..I was kind of surprised.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
A HUGE thank you to everyone for all the posts replies and other threads! AZ is not what I pictured but I loved it. We drove from the Gateway Airport through Tucson and down to Bisbee. Stayed in Catalina, Tombstone, and Mesa. Loved Tucson entirely. It was a little cold? 55-60 and now it claims its in the low 70s. Lucky you, its currently 28 and snowing out my window. Will be making the much needed trip during the HEAT next year! Locals I met seem to love it but a lot originally from the East Coast or Midwest..I was kind of surprised.
Thanks for the update and glad you had a nice trip during our "winter!" I'm curious, what did you picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona