Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:07 PM

70 posts, read 149,493 times

Advertisements

Hi Arizonians,

My wife and I will be taking a drive from California to Texas in late December and we're both fans of avoiding the freeways and taking the more interesting routes to see the scenery and small towns of the southwest. We know that winter weather can be tricky in northern parts of Arizona and so the plan is thus:

(A) If winter weather is threatening easy passage, we'll go south on I-10 and take the southern route through the state.

(B) If weather isn't an issue, we'd rather go through the rural routes through the state, and that's where we need advice. Where would be some of, in your opinions, the neatest routes to take across the state in terms of scenery and less traveled 2 lane roads. We're not opposed to windy, though paved is a must. We're also not opposed to taking a few stretches of Interstate to get to the most unique parts.

Also, we're coming from Northern California, so we'll likely enter AZ near Needles, but we can adjust.

Your thoughts appreciated

Last edited by Transitory; 08-28-2016 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 05:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitory View Post
Hi Arizonians,

My wife and I will be taking a drive from California to Texas in late December and we're both fans of avoiding the freeways and taking the more interesting routes to see the scenery and small towns of the southwest. We know that winter weather can be tricky in northern parts of Arizona and so the plan is thus:

(A) If winter weather is threatening easy passage, we'll go south on I-10 and take the southern route through the state.

(B) If weather isn't an issue, we'd rather go through the rural routes through the state, and that's where we need advice. Where would be some of, in your opinions, the neatest routes to take across the state in terms of scenery and less traveled 2 lane roads. We're not opposed to windy, though paved is a must.

Your thoughts appreciated
Well, basically, if you want to go through AZ non-interstate, start by taking CA 62 to the state line between Vidal, CA and Parker, AZ. CA 62 becomes AZ 72, keep going until US 60. Take US 60 all the way to Globe. Then take US 70 the rest of the way through the state. The only problem area will be on US 60 between Superior and Globe. The road goes through the mountains up to 4,600 ft, so could see snow. The rest is below 3,000 ft and is usually below the snow line.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:18 PM

70 posts, read 149,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well, basically, if you want to go through AZ non-interstate, start by taking CA 62 to the state line between Vidal, CA and Parker, AZ. CA 62 becomes AZ 72, keep going until US 60. Take US 60 all the way to Globe. Then take US 70 the rest of the way through the state. The only problem area will be on US 60 between Superior and Globe. The road goes through the mountains up to 4,600 ft, so could see snow. The rest is below 3,000 ft and is usually below the snow line.
Thanks for that idea! I should mention we're not opposed to sections of Interstate, but we'd like the majority to be rural 2 lane roads.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:18 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:

Not a bad idea. The road between Superior and Globe rarely if ever has snow. And it's a very pretty drive indeed, through Queen Creek Canyon (there's even a tunnel!)

Old 09-01-2016, 06:07 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Done all above. Nice rides.

You don't state where in Texas that you are going. Fredericksburg Texas is a neat little town. Took Route 290 across that part of the state.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Cut off the 10 in Commiefornia on whatever the road is to Parker. Then take 95 north through Havasu, join Rte 66 through Oatman, Kingman and Seligman, then take the road from Seligman through the pinion pines to Sedona and or Prescott. From there drive up to Payson through Heber to Show Low, on to Snoflake and Alpine, then south past the enourmous Morinci copper mine on a road with a thousand (it seems)turns and eventually back to the 10.

From there it's just a couple hours to El Paso.

Or you could go through Globe too then cut east to Morinci.

Shouldn't take over a week!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Cut off the 10 in Commiefornia on whatever the road is to Parker. Then take 95 north through Havasu, join Rte 66 through Oatman, Kingman and Seligman, then take the road from Seligman through the pinion pines to Sedona and or Prescott. From there drive up to Payson through Heber to Show Low, on to Snoflake and Alpine, then south past the enourmous Morinci copper mine on a road with a thousand (it seems)turns and eventually back to the 10.

I guarantee there will be snow through half that route in December. You start getting up in the mountains here THERE WILL BE SNOW. I will never forget about 15 years ago driving through camp verde ON THE FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND. It was 60 degrees outside and SNOWING. We had to pull over, not because of the snow, but because as soon as it hit the ground it turned to steam/fog/cloudy and we couldn't see. Camp Verde is only about 3,000 feet.

You're talking 5,000-6,000 ft. If OP is playing it by ear, that's one thing, but If trying to plan it out to avoid the snow, that's way too questionable to be trying to avoid in December. Your warning would be the news or less.

OP, I only take I-10, but if you end up on I-10 just east of the 1-10/I-20 split is a little state park/camp site (with rooms too) Balmorhea, TX.
world’s largest spring-fed swimming pool. It really is kind of right in the middle of that long stretch between el paso and Kerrville.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/balmorhea

Also, last year, I was coming from TX to AZ just before new year. There was a surprise rain storm, that got so cold at night it froze on the road and caused about 2 inches of ice. I had been driving for several hours by the time I got to this point and ended up getting stuck behind a 1/2 mile long line of cars. After a couple hours we started moving faster than a crawl. When we got to the front of the line, we saw there were two semi trucks that stopped and parked right in the middle of the lanes completely blocking traffic. Over the next 5 miles or so I ended up seeing about a dozen cars that had spun out over night, and behind us was the first fire truck that was checking on people. When I later got to my first stop to get gas and food I saw the news how they had shut down the highway right behind us. Everyone who was heading the other direction couldn't get through because for them the ice was covering the highway uphill, and NOBODY could get through. After sitting there for several hours, they closed the highway and made em turn around. The nearest town was 2 hours back the way they came. I'm just saying I couldn't imagine how bad that could have been for people if they were on a road that was barely traveled, especially when everyone was trying to stay off the roads.

Last edited by adriver; 09-01-2016 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: NOT I-40, firebirdcamaro1220 pointed out its I-20

Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I guarantee there will be snow through half that route in December. You start getting up in the mountains here THERE WILL BE SNOW. I will never forget about 15 years ago driving through camp verde ON THE FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND. It was 60 degrees outside and SNOWING. We had to pull over, not because of the snow, but because as soon as it hit the ground it turned to steam/fog/cloudy and we couldn't see. Camp Verde is only about 3,000 feet.

You're talking 5,000-6,000 ft. If OP is playing it by ear, that's one thing, but If trying to plan it out to avoid the snow, that's way too questionable to be trying to avoid in December. Your warning would be the news or less.

OP, I only take I-10, but if you end up on I-10 just east of the 1-10/I-40 split is a little state park/camp site (with rooms too) Balmorhea, TX.
world’s largest spring-fed swimming pool. It really is kind of right in the middle of that long stretch between el paso and Kerrville.
Balmorhea State Park

Also, last year, I was coming from TX to AZ just before new year. There was a surprise rain storm, that got so cold at night it froze on the road and caused about 2 inches of ice. I had been driving for several hours by the time I got to this point and ended up getting stuck behind a 1/2 mile long line of cars. After a couple hours we started moving faster than a crawl. When we got to the front of the line, we saw there were two semi trucks that stopped and parked right in the middle of the lanes completely blocking traffic. Over the next 5 miles or so I ended up seeing about a dozen cars that had spun out over night, and behind us was the first fire truck that was checking on people. When I later got to my first stop to get gas and food I saw the news how they had shut down the highway right behind us. Everyone who was heading the other direction couldn't get through because for them the ice was covering the highway uphill, and NOBODY could get through. After sitting there for several hours, they closed the highway and made em turn around. The nearest town was 2 hours back the way they came. I'm just saying I couldn't imagine how bad that could have been for people if they were on a road that was barely traveled, especially when everyone was trying to stay off the roads.
I think you meant the 10/20 split, 10 and 40 don't meet

Old 09-01-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

This route would be HORRIBLE in winter. Especially in December, which can be volitile weather wise in the high country. Alpine is at 8,000 ft and that road (191) between Alpine and Clifton goes over 10,000 ft crossing the White Mountains. That road isn't even recommended between Nov and Apr!!!

Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
I think you meant the 10/20 split, 10 and 40 don't meet
Yes that's it. I knew it was the split to dallas/san Antonio. Thanks.

I just edited it in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona