Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 PM

20 posts, read 20,527 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I want to move back to OR, but how can I get a job if I'm currently living in AZ ? Seems staffing agency's aren't interested in you unless your in the state where you want to work. Not only that, but how can you rent an apartment if you don't have a job?-do they consider unemployment viable income? Can I collect unemployment in OR? I've been working in AZ for the last year & if I quit my job, as opposed to being fired, can I still qualify for unemployment? So many question's! Sounds like a viscous cycle to me. I want to work, but I can't work because im not residing in that state & I can't rent an apartment because I don't have a job. grrrrr Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 06:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
If you have a job here, you need to stay here and save the money to move. If you have friends or family to help you up there while you are looking for work, that would help- since you say you want to move back, that implies that you've lived there before and know people there. In any state, employers prefer people who are already there and can report for work immediately.

Quitting your job entitles you to unemployment only in relatively rare and specific circumstances, so that's not a good idea. I'm no expert at all on the multistate situation, but your claim would be an Arizona claim, not an Oregon claim.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
You can't collect unemployment if you quit a job. Unless you have family or a friend to stay with, it will mean a motel of extend stay hotel, which means $$ unfortunately. Hopefully you have job skills which are in demand. Having local references should help the job search, assuming you do. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2016, 06:50 PM

ugh, I wish I would have never moved here! now it just seems impossible to get back home. The break-lease fee where i rent now is $1600. so the best notice I could give a new employer is 30 days. But when my lease is up in Oct, i will be signing a month-to-month lease, so if I do find a job in OR while living here, I could leave before the 30 days is up as long as I pay my rent. All I can do at this point is hope someone will hire me while residing in AZ. I do have relatives that live in OR, but they wont have room for my son & I, as well as a dog, so that's not an option. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Why is going back home so important, Luddeckens?

More often than not we tend to remember only the good points of back home and rarely remember the bad points, especially the bad points that prompted us to leave originally.

Be very careful that you are not going back home for all the wrong reasons.

Good Luck.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:59 PM

I understand what your saying, but it's just too hot in AZ for me. Im spending most of my time indoors..the heat is unbearable & I miss the flowers & being able to dig in the OR soil. I miss the 4 seasons... I came here because of a job situation & didn't feel I had anywhere else to go. My parents live here, so I moved in w/them temporarily. Now i'm working & out on my own, but I really want to go back home. I'll find a way to get there eventually. I guess if you want anything bad enough, it will work out..thank you

Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddeckens View Post
I understand what your saying, but it's just too hot in AZ for me. Im spending most of my time indoors..the heat is unbearable & I miss the flowers & being able to dig in the OR soil. I miss the 4 seasons... I came here because of a job situation & didn't feel I had anywhere else to go. My parents live here, so I moved in w/them temporarily. Now i'm working & out on my own, but I really want to go back home. I'll find a way to get there eventually. I guess if you want anything bad enough, it will work out..thank you

Heading into cooler weather, so you have time to make some plans that make sense. If there's someone in OR that will let you use their address (and if you still have an OR cell phone?) that might help with jobs. But, if they want an in person interview, you have to get there.

The summer heat here is no secret, nor is the desert soil. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Quote:
Have you looked into Colorado? The state has 4 seasons and isn't cloudy a lot compared to the Pacific Northwest.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Have you looked into Colorado? The state has 4 seasons and isn't cloudy a lot compared to the Pacific Northwest.

The issues in the OP's post would be the same whether the OP moves back to OR or moves to CO, except that the distance is less. The OP knows the OR weather and still wants to go back.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:03 PM

455 posts, read 388,663 times
Quote:
ugh, I wish I would have never moved here! now it just seems impossible to get back home. The break-lease fee where i rent now is $1600. so the best notice I could give a new employer is 30 days. But when my lease is up in Oct, i will be signing a month-to-month lease, so if I do find a job in OR while living here, I could leave before the 30 days is up as long as I pay my rent. All I can do at this point is hope someone will hire me while residing in AZ. I do have relatives that live in OR, but they wont have room for my son & I, as well as a dog, so that's not an option. Thanks for the feedback!
I feel you're pain but here's the bright side, it's cooling down in AZ so you have a few months to get your self together.

first - as soon as the lease is up, move to a cheaper place if you can. You have to reduce as many expenses as possible NOW and save it.

second - get rid of as much stuff as you can, sell it or give it away because moving stuff is expensive.

Third - If you are a professional, start sending your resume with your families address so you look local and see what the climate is.

It could be a risk but if you get first and last month's rent for a new place saved up you might be able to deck it out. There are good roommate possibilities too that could work for a less expensive short term option.

Lastly, I agree with other's unemployment probably won;t work but here's the deal, it's not meant to replace income. I would guess that it would barely cover utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona