Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:39 AM

700 posts, read 918,919 times

Advertisements

You appear to be well on your way to unearthing all the great info about Tucson cycling, but let me just add the following link, further clarifying our place in the cycling world; this appeared in one of the Economist publications recently.

https://www.1843magazine.com/travel/...s-in-the-world

Quote:
The seven best rides in the world.

Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, Arizona

Tucson ranks in the top ten sunniest places in America, which has helped make it the country’s premiere go-to winter cycling destination. For a sprawling city, it is surprisingly bike friendly, and one could spend days riding gorgeous desert loops in the eastern section of Saguaro National Park, or joining up with the city’s legendary “shoot-out”, a punchy Saturday group ride. But the city’s real draw is Mt. Lemmon. It is not the country’s highest or toughest climb by a long shot, but what it offers, across several dozen miles and some 7,000 feet of elevation gain on the Catalina Highway, is a wonderfully curving, generously shouldered, steadily rising (4-6% average grade) route from the hot desert floor into cool, thickly timbered ski country – with endless Cinemascope views and eerie rock formations the whole way. It is two hours of flow-state-bliss on two wheels. Just be wary of the desert: I did not drink nearly enough, and paid mightily for it the following day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:37 PM

114 posts, read 204,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jenver View Post
I'm considering spending 5 months in Arizona during the winter months (November through March, 2016-17) for the sole and exclusive purpose of road biking. I will eat, sleep, and bike ... and that's it. Pretty basic. I plan on renting a house or duplex for the 5-month period.

For safety reasons, I prefer biking on paved recreational trails (bike trails) that do not allow motorized traffic. In addition to asphalt/tar paved surfaces, crushed stone (such as limestone) or similar smooth surfaces would also suffice.

I'm focusing on Arizona primarily because of the warm winter weather, and I realize that there are other states with superior biking trails. For example, San Diego has better trails, and equally good weather, but it also has more crime and more congestion ... and it's considerably more expensive than AZ. My goal is to be able to bike in reasonably warm weather (e.g., 60's and 70's degrees) with lots of sun and no snow.

So far, the only city I've looked at is Tucson, which seems to have one newly-built biking trail system called "The Loop" (around 100 miles in total distance). Tucson weather looks ideal, with average December temps around 68 degrees. Tucson is also very affordable. All things considered, Tucson seems like a solid choice.

I'm not a fussy person ... I'm just looking for a reasonable recreational experience ... so I'm wondering if anyone can offer insight(s) into Arizona's offerings for winter bike enthusiasts. I'm an AZ newbie (I've never been to AZ), so I'd appreciate any insight and suggestions.
Arrived in Tucson (Oro Valley actually) a couple of hours ago from Ohio. Business travel took me all over FL, AZ & CA. When it came time to buy a 2nd home, I chose OV for the weather, the cycling and the hiking. I don't have much use for "The Loop" but understand why one would. On road cycling is big beginning with the "Shootout" ride each Saturday morning where you and 60+ others can line but next to wintering pros and top amateurs. There is also the "Senior Shootout" that departs 15 minutes earlier but if you want to hang with the group you ought to be equivalent to a Cat 5 racer. Next to that is the "Bicycle Ranch Shop" ride, also Saturday mornings. A bit less intense with a B/C group that departs a couple of minutes prior to the A group (Google these terms for more info). Join "GABA" which organizes rides a couple of times a week. This week there is a climb up Kit Peak and a route that takes you over Gates Pass from the Mercado. Join "Cactus Cycling Club" which has 4-5 rides from around the area each week. I understand why you want to ride on the bike path but riding in a group I have found to be a safe option (other than a couple of notable exceptions through the years). If you are in the Tucson area, you must climb Mt Lemmon. Wide berm on which to ride. Work your way up. Start with a goal of a rest stop early/mid mountain and then eventually go to Summerhaven but note there is no water other than at the Pallisades at about mile 20. There are at least 100 cyclists who ride the mountain each day, some days well over 200. Have fun and g

Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jenver View Post
I'm considering spending 5 months in Arizona during the winter months (November through March, 2016-17) for the sole and exclusive purpose of road biking. I will eat, sleep, and bike ... and that's it. Pretty basic. I plan on renting a house or duplex for the 5-month period.

For safety reasons, I prefer biking on paved recreational trails (bike trails) that do not allow motorized traffic. In addition to asphalt/tar paved surfaces, crushed stone (such as limestone) or similar smooth surfaces would also suffice.

I'm focusing on Arizona primarily because of the warm winter weather, and I realize that there are other states with superior biking trails. For example, San Diego has better trails, and equally good weather, but it also has more crime and more congestion ... and it's considerably more expensive than AZ. My goal is to be able to bike in reasonably warm weather (e.g., 60's and 70's degrees) with lots of sun and no snow.

So far, the only city I've looked at is Tucson, which seems to have one newly-built biking trail system called "The Loop" (around 100 miles in total distance). Tucson weather looks ideal, with average December temps around 68 degrees. Tucson is also very affordable. All things considered, Tucson seems like a solid choice.

I'm not a fussy person ... I'm just looking for a reasonable recreational experience ... so I'm wondering if anyone can offer insight(s) into Arizona's offerings for winter bike enthusiasts. I'm an AZ newbie (I've never been to AZ), so I'd appreciate any insight and suggestions.

Paved recreational trails are rare here. I suggest using a road bike on roads that include cars (just go out early), or using a mountain bike on the miles of dirt trails that parallel the canals, or dirt trails throughout the state.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:03 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Paved recreational trails are rare here. I suggest using a road bike on roads that include cars (just go out early), or using a mountain bike on the miles of dirt trails that parallel the canals, or dirt trails throughout the state.
When you state "here" . . . are you referring to Tucson, More Rock?

I believe THE LOOP, the fully paved and exceptionally well maintained Recreational Walking / Bike Trail, is now well over 100 miles in length in and around Tucson.

I frequently bike along the Rillito from First Avenue West to I-10 (at least 5 to 6 times a week) and am always impressed with the high level of maintenance. It is not uncommon to witness a Pima Country Road Crew picking up debris, etc immediately after a big storm.

If only the Streets of Tucson were as well maintained.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:45 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
This was decades ago but used to manage a bike shop in Tucson (the one that puts on the "Shootout"). Used to see a lot of Euro-Pros who would hang out in Tucson during the winter. Guys that would get mobbed in the street for autographs in Europe can walk around with their families in plain sight in Tucson and be left alone. So that guy riding up Mt Lemmon in January wearing a pro kit is probably really on the team.

Tucson has a long cycling history as well, it's always been the center of road cycling culture for the state. Racers like Greg LeMond and Davis Phinney started their careers with early season races in southern Arizona back in the 70's.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:11 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
This was decades ago but used to manage a bike shop in Tucson (the one that puts on the "Shootout"). Used to see a lot of Euro-Pros who would hang out in Tucson during the winter. Guys that would get mobbed in the street for autographs in Europe can walk around with their families in plain sight in Tucson and be left alone. So that guy riding up Mt Lemmon in January wearing a pro kit is probably really on the team.

Tucson has a long cycling history as well, it's always been the center of road cycling culture for the state. Racers like Greg LeMond and Davis Phinney started their careers with early season races in southern Arizona back in the 70's.
Very true. But we're also seeing a boom of pro teams in the Valley as well. IIRC, United Healthcare Pro Cycling Team recently relocated to Scottsdale from CA.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:44 PM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
When you state "here" . . . are you referring to Tucson, More Rock?

I believe THE LOOP, the fully paved and exceptionally well maintained Recreational Walking / Bike Trail, is now well over 100 miles in length in and around Tucson.

I frequently bike along the Rillito from First Avenue West to I-10 (at least 5 to 6 times a week) and am always impressed with the high level of maintenance. It is not uncommon to witness a Pima Country Road Crew picking up debris, etc immediately after a big storm.

If only the Streets of Tucson were as well maintained.

I stand corrected about Tucson.

I just assume bicyclists are mountains bikers, because mountains bikers allow all terrain.

I don't want paved on my crotch. Hard pack dirt is the best for long trips, or any serious distance.

Like the canal trails up from Chandler to Mesa, or along the Phoenix AZ canal.

Or that trail along the southside of South Mountain.

Etc.

(And that's why I left SF for Marin Headlands fireroads).

Old 11-03-2016, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,609 times
Default Winter Biking

I live in Sierra Vista, which is about 70 miles south and east of Tucson. In the past few years the city has put in bike trails all throughout the city which are entirely separated from traffic if that is what you are looking for. There is great road riding with ample shoulders and what I would consider to be very bike friendly car traffic. Sierra Vista to Bisbee is about a 70 mile round trip with impressive, but not killer elevation changes. Hereford Rd, Moson Rd, Charleston Rd, are all great rides that can be as little as 16 miles or as long as 60 depending on how you ride it. FYI I can ride on Moson road and Charleston road and may only have 1-2 cars pass me in the hour + I am out. There is an avid riding community if you enjoy riding with others. I prefer to ride on my own but will often start out on my own and will meet up with others as the time goes by. There is 2 great bike shops here ( I prefer M&M) and they are really helpful.

In terms of lifestyle, SV is much smaller than Tucson but has every amenity you would require for a five month stay. Nice people, a slower pace, low crime. Plenty of Sunshine, warmish days, cool to cold evenings. Great views with Mtns. ringing the whole valley. I imagine that housing would be less expensive as well.

Good rides from here include SV to Tombstone about 40 miles rt.
SV to I10 about 60 miles more traffic, but VERY generous shoulders the whole way.
SV to Sonoita about 60 miles. Nice ride but shoulders are narrow from Whetstone to Sonoita
SV to Palominas about 40 miles most of it on 2 lane roads.

There is many other rides including nice single track trails, dirt roads, off beaten paths etc.
The ride from SV to Parker Canyon lake through the back entrance to Ft Huachuca is delightful.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 PM

700 posts, read 918,919 times
Update; received this today in the city's daily email newsletter.

Quote:
Tucson Recipient of National Biking Award
Posted January 25, 2017

Tucson will receive the equivalent of $200,000 a year in technical support from PeopleForBikes to support the development of bike infrastructure and programs that encourage biking in a given neighborhood. Tucson is one of 10 cities chosen by the national bike foundation to "radically reimagine their bicycling infrastructure, propelling communities nationwide into a better future for biking."

The new initiative, called the Big Jump Project, aims to double or triple bike ridership in specific neighborhoods over the course of three years.

Tucson's focus areas include the City of South Tucson and the Rose, Fairgrounds, Menlo Park, South Park, and Pueblo Gardens neighborhoods.

The winning cities all demonstrated ongoing commitments to improving transportation, housing, and redevelopment, with both leaders and residents mobilized toward change.

Over the past four years, the PeopleForBikes initiative has produced a quadrupling of protected bike lane projects in cities.
Handy links:
https://www.tucsonaz.gov/newsnet/tuc...l-biking-award (permalink)

BIG NEWS! Tucson Selected for National Big Jump Project

PeopleForBikes launches the Big Jump Project | PeopleForBikes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona