Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times

Advertisements

I get a new truck every 12-15,000 miles (family owns a rental company) I've lost three OEM windows in as many years. It's all the size of the rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They shouldn't have put all those rocks next to the freeway.
And in the desert!

Old 01-24-2017, 09:45 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I saw a sign today on the freeway that a glass company said We'll give you $50.00 to replace your windshield. So the fraud is still prevalent. And they still try to push you into their cheap glass replacement instead of OEM safety glass that is much better. The markup on glass replacement is out of this world, the reason for competing for your business.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
For what it's worth, State Senator Karen Fann of Prescott, who introduced the bill, received contributions from 6 different auto insurance companies totalling $7350 during her 2016 campaign.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I get a new truck every 12-15,000 miles (family owns a rental company) I've lost three OEM windows in as many years. It's all the size of the rock.
Had several large rocks hit and no cracks with OEM. Tiniest rock would crack my replacement glass windshield. You won't convince me to get anything but OEM glass.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Chips can be fixed/stopped it's not a scam.

Also I don't think this coverage is included in low end/liability only policies.

I think it's actually a good law just because of without it how many more people will be driving who can't see. It's just a fact.
The policy only really benefits the insurance companies. That being said, people with comprehensive coverage will likely elect to purchase glass coverage anyway. The people with low end policies never glass coverage to begin with so things aren't going to really change.

Chips can be fixed but why bother. It won't take long before it spreads to warrant full glass replacement so you might as well ride it out until it spreads. It doesn't even have to spread that much to warrant getting it replaced. And they don't verify the crack to warrant replacement any how. The glass company just wants their money and soon as they get authorization to replacement the windshield, it's gone.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:40 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
As you see "Get Up To $150 Cash Back With Insurance Windshield Replacement!", is still a problem here in AZ. See Home - SafePro Auto Glass . There are others.

As a side note, SOME lease companies mandate OEM glass on their lease return. Like any products, there will be quality differences between different manufactures. So nothing says OEM glass is superior. But if you don't want to think about it, mandate OEM glass which is generally manufactured to high standards.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:47 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,590 times
Very interesting discussion. Never stopped to think about the possibility of the OEM glass being that much higher quality but the fact is, my 2013 F150 went 50k miles before its first windshield damage occurred. I went with one of the big national replacement companies advice on saving money with an "equivalent product." That windshield has now lasted less than 10k miles and has a good size star in front of the passenger and an ever-growing crack coming down from the top center.

And no, I didn't get any rebate because it was a cash purchase for my fleet owned truck. Tried to save the company a couple hundred bucks by going generic but I'm thinking that was a mistake. Will go with Ford factory glass installed by the Ford dealer this time.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,431 times
Thanks for the advice about OEM glass. I'll be sure to ask for it next time.

I've had a couple windshields replaced on cars in recent years, the first time it was installed improperly and leaked like crazy in the rain or when washing the car. Made them come back and fix it and had no problems.

You do have to figure it's never going to be installed as perfectly as when it first came from the factory.

I have a historic vehicle with its original-from-the-factory glass. It's got some chips and a few pockmarks but no big cracks or lines in it after several decades.

People are always trying to convince me to let them replace it but I can't imagine the glass made today would hold up for decades so I'm holding out. :-)

Old 01-25-2017, 11:54 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The policy only really benefits the insurance companies. That being said, people with comprehensive coverage will likely elect to purchase glass coverage anyway. The people with low end policies never glass coverage to begin with so things aren't going to really change.

Chips can be fixed but why bother. It won't take long before it spreads to warrant full glass replacement so you might as well ride it out until it spreads. It doesn't even have to spread that much to warrant getting it replaced. And they don't verify the crack to warrant replacement any how. The glass company just wants their money and soon as they get authorization to replacement the windshield, it's gone.
the policy benefits me by the incentive for others to get their windshields fixed and see better. We share the road I want them to be able to see.

If a chip is fixed right it is fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona