Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:44 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Maybe you need to step into the shoes of someone who was convicted of a DUI for say, sleeping in the back seat of their car in the bar parking lot. There are only something like 300 deaths a year nationwide due to drunk driving yet 100s of thousands of arrests.
What an arrogant response . . .

Even though I question your feeble "300 deaths a year" claim, how do you know how many more deaths there would have been if not for those "100s of thousands of arrests"?

Also, I have never heard of someone getting a DUI for sleeping in the backseat of a parked vehicle except maybe if they had the keys in the ignition which is considered having full control of the vehicle. Public Intoxication or something similar yes, but not a DUI for taking a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,062,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
What an arrogant response . . .

Even though I question your feeble "300 deaths a year" claim, how do you know how many more deaths there would have been if not for those "100s of thousands of arrests"?

Also, I have never heard of someone getting a DUI for sleeping in the backseat of a parked vehicle except maybe if they had the keys in the ignition which is considered having full control of the vehicle. Public Intoxication or something similar yes, but not a DUI for taking a nap.
Apparently you need to read this below. The poster you are quoting is correct. " It doesn't matter if the car is yours or that the keys weren't in the ignition or you were just waiting for your friend to come back. You could be arrested, charged and then face a burden at your trial to show you didn't sit in that seat to drive the car. I find it comes as a surprise to many"

Drunk in the Backseat of a Car? You Could Get a D.U.I.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:55 PM

7,059 posts, read 6,326,497 times
A person I knew did get a DUI for sleeping in her car. Just because you're not driving doesn't mean you can't or aren't planning to.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
A person I knew did get a DUI for sleeping in her car. Just because you're not driving doesn't mean you can't or aren't planning to.
So now we're supporting jailing people based on what they MAY do? How absurd.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:17 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,371,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
People do not realize that you can get a dui for anything.
Just look at Tiger Woods, he blew a 0.00, but was taking enough prescription drugs to kill a horse!

Old 07-06-2017, 09:17 PM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I met someone at a bar, one night, who got a DUI sleeping in his car. He knew he had too much to drink, wouldn't drive home, so he called his wife to pick him up. While waiting, he fell asleep at the wheel of his car in the parking lot of the bar.

Someone was delivering soda to the bar, early morning, saw the man sleeping at the wheel, called the police, and he was arrested. His big error: he didn't leave the keys with the bartender, or put them into the trunk of his car, or throw them under the car?

Americans are never happier when they're on a witch hunt, all started with the witch hunt in Salem, and they go from one witch hunt to another. From the Communist witch hunt of the 50's to Sex Offenders to Deadbeat Dads to, most recently, the obese. And there is no stopping them! And down the road, who will be the next to be witch hunted?

But one witch hunt you won't see is witch hunting workaholics!

Old 07-06-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Just look at Tiger Woods, he blew a 0.00, but was taking enough prescription drugs to kill a horse!
As I posted before, you can get a DUI with no alcohol or drugs in your system. I used to be very strong pro DUI enforcement until being harassed myself when I don't drink or do illegal drugs. I still support harsh punishment for anyone who is drunk or drugged heavily and creating a danger for others. That is what DUI laws were originally for. I do not support destroying someone's life for having a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. .15 was the original DUI bac limit. Then it got lowered to .10, then again to .08. Now they want .05. Even the founder of MADD does not support what is happening with DUI laws. I agree with her in what she said in the article below.

https://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram...egal-bac-limit

Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,371,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
Judging by the comments in this thread, a lot of people in this thread are supportive of a totalitarian police state. I am not one them.
So you think the BAC limit should be raised back up to 0.15?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:23 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,524,843 times
I can see why people in some areas just drive.

Works for me. The day I summon up Uber or Lyft for a ride is the day I...decide ta stop at the bar after the Mariner's finally win the World Series. I'll down about 8 beers and dial up Lyft for a ride.

Yeah, right. How about skip the beers and pop a Foghat CD in the player and just enjoy the drive. Go Mariner's!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
So you think the BAC limit should be raised back up to 0.15?
Yes, and raise the penalties for anyone who exceeds it. As it has said before, it is the people with the really high bacs that are causing the problem. I am 40 years old, and I remember in high school being taught in the text books that .15 was the level you were legally drunk and are not safe to drive, yet the legal limit at the time was .10 for a dui. Now I hear that any alcohol in your system is too much. The limit in Nevada is not .08. It can register .01 and you can get a dui. I checked and that is the case in Arizona too. The legal term is "impaired to the slightest degree." .08 or above is a second charge in addition to a DUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona