Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:41 PM

6 posts, read 30,832 times

Advertisements

We've been following posts regarding relocating to Show Low, Pinetop and surrounding areas; some of the original posts are from a few years ago, so I'm hoping we can get some current advice.

The Hubby and I will retire and downsize in the next year or so. We love the beauty of the Mogollon Rim, White Mountains and surrounding forests, as well as the diverse terrain and weather. We've been considering Heber-Overgaard, Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside, etc. Although we liked Payson, the options are limited and expensive, and the summers hot. So we've decided to focus on the areas around Show Low. We've been there with boots on the ground and will return again as often as we can, but we have a lot of long-distance homework to do in the meantime. We spend a great deal of time researching online, but can't seem to find much info about outlying areas such as Vernon, Linden, Pinedale, White Mtn Lake, etc. We know each area is unique, and it can be difficult to discern the differences unless you live there. So we'd appreciate advice from those who know the area.

In a nutshell: we're in our mid-50's, small-town folks, outdoorsy, conservative, neat & clean, friendly yet private. We mind our own business and aren't looking to change anybody. We don't rely much on others, but we'd be there in a heartbeat for a neighbor in need. I'd like to think we'd fit in pretty well. Hubby is retiring from a municipality; he's a motor head and a tinkerer, and can fix just about anything. I work part time for a County Ag Dept. We live modestly and, if all goes well, we won't have to work. We're looking to live outside of town, lots of elbow room, critters okay. But it has to have reliable, good water and power. We appreciate the reasons for a HOA, but we don't want strict CCR's. We know that there are lots of potential areas that fit the bill, but we don't know enough particulars to narrow it down.

Although it's good advice, The Hubby doesn't want to do the "rent-while-you-get-familiar-with-the-area" thing. He's of the mind that we do as much preparation as we can in advance, visit as often as possible, and then make a leap of faith. So we'd greatly appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

*Please note that we're not online 24/7, but we check back in as often as we're able*

Steely Dove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 03:53 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDove View Post
We've been following posts regarding relocating to Show Low, Pinetop and surrounding areas; some of the original posts are from a few years ago, so I'm hoping we can get some current advice.

The Hubby and I will retire and downsize in the next year or so. We love the beauty of the Mogollon Rim, White Mountains and surrounding forests, as well as the diverse terrain and weather. We've been considering Heber-Overgaard, Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside, etc. Although we liked Payson, the options are limited and expensive, and the summers hot. So we've decided to focus on the areas around Show Low. We've been there with boots on the ground and will return again as often as we can, but we have a lot of long-distance homework to do in the meantime. We spend a great deal of time researching online, but can't seem to find much info about outlying areas such as Vernon, Linden, Pinedale, White Mtn Lake, etc. We know each area is unique, and it can be difficult to discern the differences unless you live there. So we'd appreciate advice from those who know the area.

In a nutshell: we're in our mid-50's, small-town folks, outdoorsy, conservative, neat & clean, friendly yet private. We mind our own business and aren't looking to change anybody. We don't rely much on others, but we'd be there in a heartbeat for a neighbor in need. I'd like to think we'd fit in pretty well. Hubby is retiring from a municipality; he's a motor head and a tinkerer, and can fix just about anything. I work part time for a County Ag Dept. We live modestly and, if all goes well, we won't have to work. We're looking to live outside of town, lots of elbow room, critters okay. But it has to have reliable, good water and power. We appreciate the reasons for a HOA, but we don't want strict CCR's. We know that there are lots of potential areas that fit the bill, but we don't know enough particulars to narrow it down.

Although it's good advice, The Hubby doesn't want to do the "rent-while-you-get-familiar-with-the-area" thing. He's of the mind that we do as much preparation as we can in advance, visit as often as possible, and then make a leap of faith. So we'd greatly appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

*Please note that we're not online 24/7, but we check back in as often as we're able*

Steely Dove
There's a rattlesnake charmer by the name of Earp who haunts these forums and who purportedly lives in Pinetop. He is one who could give you some pretty decent advice on that general area. Unless he's currently indisposed, he will eventually come on board and respond to your Original Post and your queries.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:30 PM

Thank you, Colt Cassidy; I appreciate your response! Yes, I've read quite a few of Earp's postings. I like his sound advice and hope he chimes in at some point. Thanks again for the input, best wishes to you!

Old 06-26-2017, 04:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Some friends of mine just retired to that area, took their horses up there from Buckeye. Sounds like you were both basically looking for the same thing. I will see her when she comes down tomorrow, and try to get some advice for you.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:53 PM

Thank you, observer53; that would be great! We look forward to hearing what your friends have to say. I appreciate your help!

Last edited by SteelyDove; 06-26-2017 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: I listed the wrong name when I thanked observer53 for their reply to my post

Old 06-26-2017, 07:52 PM

120 posts, read 166,487 times
In my experiences that whole area is similar enough that you won't notice a ton of differences. Beautiful area, good folks and that live and let live American spirit. Nice choice!

Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Well, I just read this before I have to run to work. Depends on what you want. Tall trees or near the tall trees. Tall trees: Heber, Show Low (most of), Pinetop. Heber though is a ways from decent shopping. White Mountain Lakes is out of the tall trees and near Silver Tweak Estates (Silver Lake Estates), so there are some of 'those' out there, though they are trying to clean it up. Linden is pretty good, Vernon is also out of the tall trees, not quite as much as White Mtn lakes. White Mtn lakes do have CCR's (part of the effort to clean it up, I'm sure) but I do not care for them either.

More to come . . .

Old 06-27-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
In my experiences that whole area is similar enough that you won't notice a ton of differences. Beautiful area, good folks and that live and let live American spirit. Nice choice!
That's good to hear, Hrothgar; thanks!

Old 06-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Well, I just read this before I have to run to work. Depends on what you want. Tall trees or near the tall trees. Tall trees: Heber, Show Low (most of), Pinetop. Heber though is a ways from decent shopping. White Mountain Lakes is out of the tall trees and near Silver Tweak Estates (Silver Lake Estates), so there are some of 'those' out there, though they are trying to clean it up. Linden is pretty good, Vernon is also out of the tall trees, not quite as much as White Mtn lakes. White Mtn lakes do have CCR's (part of the effort to clean it up, I'm sure) but I do not care for them either.

More to come . . .
Hi there, Teddyearp; it's great to get your input!

We can go either way tree-wise. Hubby says that tall pines are okay, as long as the house isn't buried in them. I like the areas where the trees aren't dense, but enough to provide some privacy, sunshine and views of the beautiful area. We always end up compromising. What's really important is the mindset of the neighbors; we don't want to be where there's a lot of drug use. Of course you can't avoid it 100%, but we'd be very grateful if you can warn us about certain areas, like you did above.

We know that it's very popular vacation area; how crowded does it get?

Thanks for your advice!! Look forward to hearing more, if/when you get the chance...

Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
No problem at all. Just remember though, that Arizona is a terrible place™️, lol!

Not knowing where you are moving from, and not really asking, but for the most part I don't think you'll find areas even in the tall pines where your home would be buried in them. But they do provide some shade and I prefer that and the fact that it is a bit cooler up in Pinetop than the rest of 'the mountain'. So, if you want just privacy, then you would probably be just fine in the area some locals call 'the cedar country'. Mostly Shaggy (Utah) Junipers which will grow up just enough to give your home privacy and depending, great Arizona views.

Open your Google map and draw a sort of triangle east of Show Low along US 60 towards an imaginary line that ends about at Concho (which is actually on SR 61 past the "Y") which includes Vernon and White Mountain Lakes, etc.; then west of Concho along the Concho Hwy to Snowflake and then back down SR 77 to the origin. That is the 'cedar country'. Hmm, maybe not a triangle, but roughly here:

https://goo.gl/maps/sKiMDyZ2LGD2

You will find a lot of property out there, some very remote to the point you will be 'off grid' and the access rough, to others that do have utilities either right there or nearby enough to not break the bank. Some properties there will also have little to no trees, but many will have the trees I mentioned, and maybe even a few smaller pines. However, do KNOW that that is the area where you will find the pockets of tweakers here and there. But it's Arizona, just buy a gun. Or three or four or . . . . And pockets is very true. Not knowing your budget (which again is none of my business), but you may find some very good deals out there as well.

Politically, you will surprised to find that most of the local politicians are Dems, but it seems as though you could almost call them DINO's as much as you could call some Repubs RINO's. I like to think that here, we vote for the person, and not their party affiliation.

Socially, yes we pretty much live and let live. But there is also a fairly stronger sense of 'community' here with most residents. Stronger than similar sized and even smaller towns that I have lived in during my life (I'm about your ages). Randle WA with a pop of about 700 or so didn't have it, at least for me even after 12 years. On the down side of that, as you may have read, it may take a while for many to warm up to you. Some threads here blame it on the very heavy LDS presence here and never looked beyond it. I am not LDS. What I think it really is is that they want to make sure you're going to be 'mountain'. Just like Phoenix and those who move there and move away after one summer because of the heat, folks up here see many move up here, just to move away after one or two winters. For me, I first moved here in '97, moved to WA in '04 and returned last fall. Most folks realize that I know enough about the area to realize I am back home and 'mountain'.

Well, I've already told WAY too many secrets of this part of terrible Arizona, SHHH! Don't tell anyone, hehe. If you have more questions, I'll answer. If you have questions about locations of specific properties, if you'd rather, ask me via a PM, since neither of us want to get that specific in public do we?

Oh, you also asked about how crowded it gets. D'oH! As you can imagine, ever since Memorial Day the traffic along 260 is more, especially on weekends. More than I remember, but that is to be expected. Numbers? Heck, I don't know. Most of us try to drive with courtesy, but you will always spot the few that aren't. It is just part of the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona