Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I move from SoCal to AZ?
Yes 6 20.69%
No 23 79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,837,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's because the job situation in NM might be the worst in the USA, actually. That state seems to be perpetually poor and not getting better as time marches on. I used to take the train from CHI to Flag to enjoy the back country scenery. It was splendid until we hit NM... every town we passed through or by was like something out of a horror movie. Sadly, a lot of it was on reservations, but the stuff I saw in NM was nightmarish.
Arizona is just like New Mexico outside of Phoenix. Ever visit Tucson lately? We shouldn't act like Arizona is that much better off. Phoenix--I mean Paradise Valley-- is where all the wealth is. Tucson is one of the poorest cities in the nation. Our GDP is poor especially compared to other cities the same size of Phoenix (like Seattle). Arizona really isn't in that great of a position either. Especially in comparison to California where this person is coming from.

New Mexico does have its problems but what this person wants is outside of Phoenix anyway (because its too hot). So at that point there's little difference for jobs, crime, or economy. Albuquerque is still better on the job situation than Tucson is, and it has the weather the OP is looking for. Tucson and Phoenix don't feel that much different in my humble opinion in terms of heat (other people have mentioned Tucson due to the fact its cooler and yes there is high end shopping in the foothills). But every degree counts, I suppose. Albuquerque and Santa Fe especially (especially Santa Fe lord) have lots of high-end areas and spas.

Only cities that are hotter than Phoenix are Yuma and Palm Springs and maybe Vegas. It doesn't get much hotter than Phoenix. Phoenix is one of the hottest and sunniest cities in the country. If they want something more mild close to California weather but not California with a bigger city I stay adamant that it's New Mexico or bust. Still dry as heck but not as hellish. El Paso comes close but it's kinda funky and it's not as big. Denver snows too much.

New Mexico is the 6th poorest state in the nation, the first one that isn't in the South. Arizona is the 20th poorest state. Phoenix's median household income (same variable) is about 55k a year which is just under the US average and 4000/year more than the rest of Arizona (coming to about 50k/year for the average Arizonan household). New Mexico's median household income? About 45k. So if housing is significantly cheaper in NM, which it is, I don't view that 5000 a big difference.

Tennessee is 9th poorest state but Nashville is doing pretty ok I think. North Carolina is 10th and the Research Triangle is doing ok. Florida is 13th and they are doing ok. Michigan is the 18th and Detroit isn't doing that well. Nevada is the 22nd poorest state, is Nevada really better off than Arizona?

New Mexico's per capita income: 23k a year. Arizona's is 25k/year. I don't think they are that much different here. So again economically... not much different... Phoenix helps but only so little at the end of the day... and to think Phoenix helps a lot when you are looking outside of Phoenix for jobs...? Nope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 PM

97 posts, read 135,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
I mean no disrespect, but one of the charms of Phoenix that drew so many of us here is that the people are down to earth and friendly. Your requirement of upscale retail and spa may explain why, at this juncture in your poll, you have 15 no and 0 yes votes. If image is everything to you, you will probably be better off staying in Cali as it is not a priority here (except in a few isolated neighborhoods that you can't afford on your budget).

Just an FYI. That is where I would find my clientele. It's not an image things just to be clear. I need to make a living. High end retail and spas for work not play. When I said that's the industry I'm in, that means work in. I understand coming here asking questions I would find some judgmental people but I take it with a grain of salt.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsellsazhomes View Post
The cooler temps in Phoenix are out of question. However, you can find homes in the 300-400k price range in North Phoenix. In this area, you could be less than 20 minutes away from any high end shopping/retail areas. Some communities to consider would include Tatum Ranch and Desert Peak. There are also homes in need of renovation in this price point in north Scottsdale and Phoenix bordering Paradise Valley. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you I will check it out!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsellsazhomes View Post
The cooler temps in Phoenix are out of question. However, you can find homes in the 300-400k price range in North Phoenix. In this area, you could be less than 20 minutes away from any high end shopping/retail areas. Some communities to consider would include Tatum Ranch and Desert Peak. There are also homes in need of renovation in this price point in north Scottsdale and Phoenix bordering Paradise Valley. If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.
What are your thoughts on buckeye? Varrado area?

Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
North Scottsdale is your only choice, really. And while its a few degrees cooler than downtown PHX, its still hotter than Satan's butthole.
LOL! This literally made me laugh out loud!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm from Orange County CA as well and the suburb that reminds me the most of OC is Chandler, which is also where I chose to live here. It has more grass, palm trees and water than most areas of the valley, doesn't really "embrace" the desert like Scottsdale and North Phoenix do (I'm not really a fan of desert and rocks) and has lots of communities built around water, similar design elements and street names like Newport which will remind you of home . I don't know if it's a "cooler" suburb but it does seem cooler with all the grass and water but still very hot. As far as spas go, they're like Starbucks in my area, seemingly 2-3 on every corner, too many really. Speaking about the South Chandler area specifically. This area also has a larger Asian population which is reminiscent of OC.
Thank you!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,788 times
so, we bought in northwest phoenix, right along the Peoria/Phoenix border, just west of Stetson Valley; tons of nice homes out here in the 300k-1,000,00.00, range, lots of high end shopping all around here, and I think its exactly what you are looking for; its cooler at night, but everywhere in this area is hot during the day..
We live in a nice gated community, and lots of houses in here are in the 300-400k range. We are right next to a multimillion dollar development called Gold Mountain, so I know this area of Stetson valley/Northwest Phoenix/Northeast Peoria is loaded with people with money; the explosion of shopping and high end housing out here is incredible...

Camelot Homes Gold Mountain Preserve - Gated Custom Home Phoenix

Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Prescott cooler and not affordable ,, Prescott valley is ok but so cool...
High-end shopping? No.

PV is a big box nightmare.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,101,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
I mean no disrespect, but one of the charms of Phoenix that drew so many of us here is that the people are down to earth and friendly. Your requirement of upscale retail and spa may explain why, at this juncture in your poll, you have 15 no and 0 yes votes. If image is everything to you, you will probably be better off staying in Cali as it is not a priority here (except in a few isolated neighborhoods that you can't afford on your budget).
"You must spread some Reputation around more before giving it to Dewey59 again"

Old 09-23-2017, 03:26 PM

576 posts, read 834,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around more before giving it to Dewey59 again"
Thanks for trying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona