Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 02:46 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,864,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Did you know that pretty much ALL public transportation is a money loser and needs public subsidies to stay afloat? Even the NYC Subway system loses money every year and that is located in the densest metro area in the US. Nobody creates a public transportation system to make a profit, nobody, best case scenario you might break even or you lose only a few million dollars each year.

XpressWest was a spoke and wheel design, I guess my wording was wrong. There would be three different routes all radiating out from Las Vegas. The first spoke would have been Vegas to LA, the next Vegas to Phoenix and the third and final spoke would have been Vegas to Salt Lake City, then eventually Salt Lake City to Denver. That would have been interesting to see the SLC to DEN segment, with a bullet train going through the Rockies, I assume lots of tunnels!
Airlines are barely profitable. Have you heard this joke? "You want to become a millionaire? It's easy! Be a billionaire, and then open an airline".

It's partially because human beings are too spread out and we have varying schedules and preferences (for an example when I can I do red eye flights versus day flights), making it difficult to collect enough people on whatever it is, an airplane train or bus even, to make it profitable. Hell even carpooling which is subsidized by HOV lanes and even some companies are rarely used.

Now public transportation isn't that cheap, but when you compare the individual cost of cars (gas, loans maybe, maintenance) plus the public cost needed for cars (interchanges, freeways, surface roads, their maintenance and expansion) private transportation is much more expensive. Public transportation's costs are just as open to the public because it isn't being transferred to the individual.

We should start changing this mentality. In many places in the world public transportation IS profitable. Or at least breaks even. For example nearly every other first world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 07:30 PM

2,927 posts, read 3,116,312 times
I'm just going to say that there is no such thing as a public transportation being profitable.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,396,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I'm just going to say that there is no such thing as a public transportation being profitable.
It's one of those sad but true realities. Many probably think, how can buses (probably the cheapest to construct and run as compared to heavy/line rail) not make a profit, but they would probably have to charge $20+ for a one way fare, on most routes, for them to make money.

I found this interesting blog/website of someone who really likes statistics and numbers that complied every public transportation agency in the US to see how many, if any, were profitable, the numbers are from 2013, so obviously they are different now and you can go state by state to see how your state does:

Do city buses in the US make a profit?

Old 11-05-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Public transportation creates an economic benefit that isn't direct. Creating light rail stations and heavy rail commuter stations raise land value and encourage higher density, which raises the income from property taxes. It also encourages more offices to move there, as it provides an easier time for commuters to get to the office.

It would be interesting to compare property taxes and GDP of a small area around a recently added light rail or commuter station, and compare the before and after, to see if it actually helps to weigh out the cost.

But, public transportation does not make enough money from fares alone, which is why it is handled by the government and not private companies.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 AM

2,927 posts, read 3,116,312 times
So basically we all have to pay for it, whether we like it or use it or not. Raises property values? Most folks do not want these stations built near their homes for the exact opposite reason I thought.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:29 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times
Quote:
So basically we all have to pay for it, whether we like it or use it or not. Raises property values? Most folks do not want these stations built near their homes for the exact opposite reason I thought.
I love living right off a light rail station, I use it to commute to work, as well as to go out for fun on the weekend

Old 11-06-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
And if driving weren't being subsidized (mainly with "free" roads), I guarantee that mass transit would then look much better. The problem is that driving has been made too cheap

Old 11-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Last I checked people view their home as investments that have increasing value. Wouldn’t it be a good thing if your home increased in value on the market?

Old 11-07-2017, 12:41 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,747,814 times
Quote:
Profit? Break even is unobtainable.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Profit? Break even is unobtainable.
If we tolled all roads, making drivers pay the true cost, rather than subsidizing it like we do now, I guarantee rail would be more popular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona