Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,155 times

Advertisements

I am looking at taking a job at Ft Huachuca in the near future, and I am at an impasse of where to live.

I will be moving there with my wife, and we are hoping to start a family soon. From what I've read so far, SV doesn't really have much in the way of medical services. The local hopsital received scathing reviews. So, that's worrying. If she would go into labor, I don't think driving 60-80 minutes to Tuscon is really a viable option.

Also, how difficult will it be to buy things like furniture and home furnishings in SV? Are there some good furniture stores there?

I would greatly value the reduced crime rates of SV, the reduced traffic congestion, and most of all the greatly reduced commute. I've driven 50-70 minutes each way for the last two years and it's slowly killing me.

So... what is your recommendation? Are my fears regarding quality, accessible medical care unfounded? If we have access to decent ob/gyn & maternity care in SV and won't have trouble buying stuff for our house, I'd really prefer SV for its proximity to base and small-town atmosphere.

Last edited by lredman; 03-17-2018 at 01:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 07:34 AM

700 posts, read 919,537 times
There was a med-evac chopper operating in southeastern Arizona to U of Arizona's Level 1 trauma center (or also even Phoenix metro); but I heard some years back there was a funding issue, and I never heard whether that was resolved. Maybe someone knows...

Old 03-17-2018, 12:28 PM

558 posts, read 972,591 times
I worked on a project at the Fort back in the early 90's and visited a few times. At that time there was a bus that took commuters back and forth to Tucson. Don't know if they still operate a service like that but at least you can read or sleep during the long commute.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
I winter in Benson. I go to Sierra Vista for a big town experience without the traffic of Tucson. There are advantages to both, but with the commute it is a no brainer to live in Sierra Vista.

Medical care in the winter is tough just due to the number of snowbirds, but I suspect as a local that will be less of an issue. Only one experience with medical care in Sierra Vista and it was at the satellite clinic in Tombstone. There were great. Sample of one, which means nothing in statistics.

Not sure what you mean by good furniture stores...that is a one time purchase. I would buy in Tucson and have it shipped to Sierra Vista.

I would live in Sierra Vista. I like Tucson and Sierra Vista....Sierra Vista is more of a small city, whereas Tucson is really a metro area.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:18 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I winter in Benson. I go to Sierra Vista for a big town experience without the traffic of Tucson. There are advantages to both, but with the commute it is a no brainer to live in Sierra Vista.

Medical care in the winter is tough just due to the number of snowbirds, but I suspect as a local that will be less of an issue. Only one experience with medical care in Sierra Vista and it was at the satellite clinic in Tombstone. There were great. Sample of one, which means nothing in statistics.

Not sure what you mean by good furniture stores...that is a one time purchase. I would buy in Tucson and have it shipped to Sierra Vista.

I would live in Sierra Vista. I like Tucson and Sierra Vista....Sierra Vista is more of a small city, whereas Tucson is really a metro area.
That's what I'm thinking unless it's a person that craves city action, SV is a no-brainer.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lredman View Post
Also, how difficult will it be to buy things like furniture and home furnishings in SV? Are there some good furniture stores there?
Not sure why you asked this question but besides Sears, Target, Walmart and Big Lots, there's also a Discount Furniture and Sparks Furniture. I know Sparks handles Ashley furniture because I bought my dining table there.

I haven't used the hospital so I don't have personal experience to answer.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:15 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
At the risk of alienating those who absolutely love Tucson, or those who prefer Sierra Vista to remain a secret, I'd select SV over Tucson for a number of the reasons which have already been stated above -- at least for your particular needs.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:45 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I haven't had the need for a hospital visit but everyone at the clinic was great. As for furniture, if you don't find what you want, order it on-line. I haven't been to Tucson yet but really like Sierra Vista.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:20 PM

344 posts, read 643,128 times
The new Hospital is excellent. The ER has saved several lives of G I's injured on post. I made it to the ER by 5 minutes and suffered a Left Ventricle attack, I flat lined but the Cardiologist on the scene put a needle in my artery and blew it open. I was dead for 1minute 27 seconds.
My wife had a terrible A/fib attack and the Chief Cardiologist who was a teaching Doctor at the U of Utah saved her life. She was in Intensive care for 5 days.
Pima Heart now has a Cardiologist in Sierra Vista full time.
I did my rehab at the S Vista Hospital and the NEW equipment and P T's are very good. My son who is a rehab trainer for a MLB team was the advisor for which equipment they shoud use.
The new Hospital cannot be compared to the old one.
I suggest Lenzner Medical to be an outstanding Clinic, we have Dr. Jeff Wilde as our Doc.

The Mall is sufficient. If you are military the P X and Commissary are being rebuilt.
The school system up to the High School level is excellent. The High School caters to the advanced level students, (5-6 appoints to the Military Academies each year) The U of AZ South is growing very fast so you should be able to advance in your chosen field.
We live in an area called Town and Country which is near Post but fairly good scale. My neighbors include a retired Special Forces Colonel, at least 2 neighbors who work for some kind of Intel organization. I'm retired but own a Firearms Training Company, we have the training vendorship for all of the Pima County Parks and Rec.

If your wife is a dancer Sierra Vista Ballet is one of the really established dance groups and puts 3-4 students in the U of A and other University level dance groups.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:40 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
I first came to AZ with Army service in the mid 1960s. SV has changed a bunch since then. Back then if you wanted a car or much of anything you drove to Tucson (there were no car lots in SV when I first got there and there was only one bus out or into town at 2:30 daily)
SV has almost everything you could want today. We just visited there a few weeks ago.
Driving to Tucson will get old really quick and wear out your vehicle too. And cars are not cheap to replace of course. Ask yourself if you really want to spend an hour or more daily in a car each way back and forth to Tucson?
The WX is also cooler than the Tucson area by some 10-15° on a hot summer day.
I lived in SV in the 1960s and came back with my wife's job and lived just outside SV in Hereford on property in the 2000 era for about 10 years. Just wanted to get away from the border and problems that went with it living rural in the area.
After having had experiences living in both Tucson and the SV area, if I were working at the Fort there is no way I would consider Tucson for residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona