Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:06 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to get all in a tether over one incident. Nothing is fool proof. Including humans. "In 2015, 5,376 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in the United States. This averages to one crash-related pedestrian death every 1.6 hours. Additionally, almost 129,000 pedestrians were treated in emergency departments for non-fatal crash-related injuries in 2015."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Can anyone tell me what these paths on the median are for? I have never seen these anywhere before. They are marked No Pedestrians, but they also have a curb, so they don't look like they are for cars or bikes either. According to the reports this is the area she was crossing from.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's not like we're talking about a wanted fugitive. How do you suggest people that have made mistakes earlier in life support themselves now?

Hey, Ted Nugent Detroit Native - are you supporting this guy if he was smoking pot in the autonomously-driven vehicle? See how these things go? We need people who are sober driving, and, though you don't admit saying you support other types of drivers, whenever I expressed my viewpoint on the need for drivers to be sober, you and several others on the Arizona city-data board shot me down in flames. This guy was texting to an excess and/or stoned on something or just a crappy driver himself.

Why do we even need self-driving cars? For those unable to drive a car that want ta get around, or what? I will drive my own car as long as I can get a driver's license and buy and operate legally my own car. I am not interested in this technology at all, and this guy was totally asleep at the wheel. She was walking her bike off to the side of the street. Bad deal here for her, bad deal for the driver, Uber and the people of Arizona and the U.S. This one needs close examination and changes made as a result of it.
What are you talking about? The reports I read stated that intoxication was not a factor. Where did you see otherwise? You read that the driver was smoking pot in the vehicle? I'm not sure why you are so fixated on something seemingly fabricated. Of course drivers should be sober.

I wonder if you read the reports though. Everything I read stated that she seemingly jumped out from the shadows and whether a human or otherwise was in control, it wouldn't have mattered as there was zero time to react.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Can anyone tell me what these paths on the median are for? I have never seen these anywhere before. They are marked No Pedestrians, but they also have a curb, so they don't look like they are for cars or bikes either. According to the reports this is the area she was crossing from.
I don't really get it either, but maybe for service trucks working on the lights, landscaping, etc. It wouldn't be much to go over the curb.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
What are you talking about? The reports I read stated that intoxication was not a factor. Where did you see otherwise? You read that the driver was smoking pot in the vehicle? I'm not sure why you are so fixated on something seemingly fabricated. Of course drivers should be sober.

I wonder if you read the reports though. Everything I read stated that she seemingly jumped out from the shadows and whether a human or otherwise was in control, it wouldn't have mattered as there was zero time to react.

I'm not saying the driver was stoned, I'm just wondering what happened and need the information. Need careful drivers. Uber and the whole autonomous driving industry thing need to examine this one closely. I'm hoping they'll adjust where necessary, but I agree, she might've been a dip that was Britney Spear-sing on her phone, we don't know. Need a 60 Minutes show on the whole idea. Or something.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying the driver was stoned, I'm just wondering what happened and need the information. Need careful drivers. Uber and the whole autonomous driving industry thing need to examine this one closely. I'm hoping they'll adjust where necessary, but I agree, she might've been a dip that was Britney Spear-sing on her phone, we don't know. Need a 60 Minutes show on the whole idea. Or something.
Then your whole bizarre rant on the driver being stoned and the need for sober drivers was irrelevant. Until a report comes out that says otherwise, let's deal in facts.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:10 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
OK, as long as you and many, many Arizonans that support potsmokers driving can continue to toke up at will, everything is just fine.

This is yet another signal that things are not all right. Go ahead and stick your Detroit head in the Arizona sand, man.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
OK, as long as you and many, many Arizonans that support potsmokers driving can continue to toke up at will, everything is just fine.

This is yet another signal that things are not all right. Go ahead and stick your Detroit head in the Arizona sand, man.
Dude, are you high? What in the heck are you talking about? What is your obsession with bringing up marijuana when completely irrelevant? It's a really odd fixation that's completely off-topic. No one is in support of inebriated driving in AZ, no matter how many times you say otherwise.

What is a signal that things are not all right? What things? I think you may be reading way too much into an unfortunately common pedestrian/vehicle accident to the point that you're making things up. I just don't see your point. Again, in no reports of this incident has anything been mentioned about marijuana use.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
There is a camera on the driver at all times. So we will know whether or not he was attentive. The Police have seen both the external camera shots and the internals. They have said it appears no fault on UBER's side.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Fascinating picture from the NY Times. It true it raises all sorts of questions...
//pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

It suggests that the lady crossed over two or three lanes before being hit. That would make it very difficult to understand how she could have been missed by the sensors. As someone earlier noted the damage was to the right side of the vehicles front...so she was apparently almost across the lane when hit.

The plot thickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona