Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times

Advertisements

Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian
By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHIMARCH 19, 2018

A woman in Tempe, Ariz., has died after being hit by a self-driving car operated by Uber, in what appears to be the first known death of a pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle on a public road. The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the Tempe police said in a statement. The episode happened on Sunday around 10 p.m. The woman was not publicly identified. Uber said it had suspended testing of its self-driving cars in Tempe, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Toronto.

Entire Article At: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/t...-fatality.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 12:53 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
I don't know the particulars in Arizona but in California you can legally cross from corner to corner across the street even if there is no painted or signed crosswalk.

If this is also true of Arizona and the Uber software engineers were counting on street markings, they've got a lot to answer for.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:04 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
She was jaywalking which is illegal here. AZ has a high percentage of jaywalking incidents. Jaywalkers looking at their cell phones or just not paying attention bring these problems upon themselves.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:29 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
This is not about people bringing this "upon themselves" its about the safety of computerized cars which need to be able to handle these situations and those like it. We all do illegal things some of which could cause us injury. I would call anyone who posts here and says they 100% of the time obey the speed limit, always signal when they change lanes and never drive when they are really tired a liar.

I do wonder about the person who was the Safety Driver of that Uber if they were paying any sort of attention they should have seen the person themselves and had time to react unless that pedestrian just jumped in front of the vehicle(very unlikely). You hear many stories that these drivers spend their day reading books or some such which kind of defeats the purpose of a "safety driver". One thing for sure i am sure the Lawyers are already lining up.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:39 PM

656 posts, read 814,300 times
I worried that this would happen eventually. I don't understand why authorities are allowing unmanned cars to drive around.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
Quote:
Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian
Artificial Intelligence can only do so much.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,883,088 times
I knew this was going to get worse before it gets better... the operator of the vehicle has a criminal record. Uber has a bit of problem with their pre-hire screening.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...lon/440501002/

Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I knew this was going to get worse before it gets better... the operator of the vehicle has a criminal record. Uber has a bit of problem with their pre-hire screening.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...lon/440501002/
I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's not like we're talking about a wanted fugitive. How do you suggest people that have made mistakes earlier in life support themselves now?

Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,883,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's not like we're talking about a wanted fugitive. How do you suggest people that have made mistakes earlier in life support themselves now?
Yeah, people can get their lives together after prison, bla bla bla - that happens occasionally. But I still would prefer not to get in a car with someone convicted of armed robbery.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times

Hey, Ted Nugent Detroit Native - are you supporting this guy if he was smoking pot in the autonomously-driven vehicle? See how these things go? We need people who are sober driving, and, though you don't admit saying you support other types of drivers, whenever I expressed my viewpoint on the need for drivers to be sober, you and several others on the Arizona city-data board shot me down in flames. This guy was texting to an excess and/or stoned on something or just a crappy driver himself.

Why do we even need self-driving cars? For those unable to drive a car that want ta get around, or what? I will drive my own car as long as I can get a driver's license and buy and operate legally my own car. I am not interested in this technology at all, and this guy was totally asleep at the wheel. She was walking her bike off to the side of the street. Bad deal here for her, bad deal for the driver, Uber and the people of Arizona and the U.S. This one needs close examination and changes made as a result of it.

Last edited by elkotronics; 03-20-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona