Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:34 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,640,765 times

Advertisements

Good news, received some afternoon t-storms today in Yavapai county. Hope to get some more tomorrow as we greatly need the moisture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 10:15 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Good news, received some afternoon t-storms today in Yavapai county. Hope to get some more tomorrow as we greatly need the moisture.

Be careful what you wish for! Living there you know there can be some pretty powerful storms in the summer. I've always been amazed that there's not flooding sometimes. Always worry that a storm will come along and REALLY dump on you guys. When I lived there I can remember driving in some that I had to get off the road because I just couldn't see well enough and the thunder and lightning felt right on top of me. Scary but exciting. lol

Nothing much in Cottonwood. It did get very cloudy and actually cooled down a bunch late this afternoon. Around 7 PM I was at work and somebody said it was raining. I looked and it was 'sorta' raining, more like a heavy mist and didn't last long. At any rate, when I got off at 8 PM the parking lot was totally dry but, boy, is the humidity UP! Wraps itself around you like a damp wool blanket!

The smell of rain is something I've always loved and I sure smelled it today. Too bad we didn't get more.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:15 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,096,740 times
Well, for what it's worth, I saw a bit of wet roads yesterday as I drove through Show Low on my way home to Lakeside. Looked like nothing happened in Lakeside yesterday either. Today looks to be a bit of a dud for now as well. I work in Taylor and it seems to be the dry hole of the mountain when it comes to monsoonal moisture/storms. BooHoo.

But besides the other things I pointed out, I do love the lightning shows when they happen.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:56 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,096,740 times
Huh. I wrote too soon. The thumbling started soon after my previous post and now it has been dumping very good up here in Lakeside. Couple of flashes here and there, but not too close. Rain. Rain. Rain. Nice.

A couple few more days like this and the fire season will be certainly over for this year.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,978,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Language police here....please pull over!

Those "violent" and " awesome and frightening" things you were experiencing were called thunderstorms!

The Monsoon is always singular, as it is just a change in the predominant air current and weather pattern. The thunderstorms and moisture are only a result of that change, but not the change itself.

If you are describing something monsoon-related, then the proper term would be "monsoonal", i.e. "monsoonal thunderstorms".

I'm not trying to pick on you, this is just a pet-peeve of mine that gets activated every Monsoon season.

If I was submitting a college paper on the weather you would be fine to grade me down for the above...but I'm not.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:28 PM

7,050 posts, read 6,308,485 times
Yay! The sky is dark, the wind is blowing &, dare I say, there's thunder

Old 07-07-2018, 08:34 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,978,315 times
In the spirit of the 4th of July and exercising my freedom to use terms correctly or incorrectly as I see fit, looking at you kttam186290, we got hit by some monsoon activity today at the Grand Canyon. Lot's of hail which was starting to worry me as it was gumball sized, and then rain, in total about 30 minutes of rain/hail today. Some thunder and lightning but not much, which until things get greener is a good thing. Looking at the humidity and the weather predictions, looks like daily monsoons out for the foreseeable future. Loving the temperature dips.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:34 PM

Yup. It's raining.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:36 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Yup. It's raining.

Yay for you guys! Rain in the Verde Valley today but not on me! I could see it coming down all around us though. Sheets of it over Sedona and southeast. I got some sprinkles yesterday and all it did was mess up my dusty car windows!

Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 AM

It didn't last long. Oh well, maybe next time.

What it did though was bring out some ugly little bugs, which swarmed my stoop. And this morning there was a huge spider out there. Tried to find out what it was but couldn't find the exact thing when I googled spiders. Never saw anything like that in Minnesota. Big body, black or dark brown. The legs were smaller than the body.

Anyway, I sprayed the little bugs last night & the spider this morning. The huge died, the spider disappeared in the crevices. Hope it dies & doesn't retaliate.

Normally I let outside things be unless they invade my space, but this was an invasion on my patio.

I hate bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona