Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:59 AM

124 posts, read 147,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Do you mean like most of us? Most people are liberal in some areas and conservative in others. We also change our views as we grow older. We experience more things and meet different types of people.

No.
What I meant by the comment is that McCain was wishy-washy and often didn't stick to any principles or values but did whatever was politically convenient. That's probably why he was ranked the third most unpopular senator in America.

https://morningconsult.com/2018/04/1...ular-senators/

Also, McCain was a part of the deep-state swamp that needed to be drained
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 07:34 AM

15,254 posts, read 13,053,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
This week long mourning period with four services and another tomorrow is ridiculous. I wonder how much the taxpayers are on the hook for this nonsense? I read that he planned this all himself...if so I think less of him than I already did. While I respect his military service, the rest of his career he was addicted to the unfortunate power and money that comes with being a public servant.

All this pomp and circumstance for a non head of state is way over the top. He should have planned a memorial in Arizona and then been buried wherever he wanted just like the rest of us. Dragging this on and his not inviting the President and Sarah Palin, regardless of their background, shows the true person he was.

Good riddance.
I think the country dodged a bullet when he lost the election. Can you imagine what kind of First Family the McCains would have been?

Old 09-02-2018, 09:19 AM

2,809 posts, read 3,195,758 times
If the speakers and audience at my funeral turn my dead corpse to a hate fest for the president or any other person, then don't give me a funeral at all.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:29 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,265,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
If the speakers and audience at my funeral turn my dead corpse to a hate fest for the president or any other person, then don't give me a funeral at all.
John McCain laid the ground work for that very thing by not inviting the President. Your funeral should not be the time to settle political scores.

Prior to this week I simply didn't agree with McCain's politics. After this week I see what an egotistical and shallow person he was. He used his death to get one more jab at his political enemies and it cost the taxpayers a ton of money. This shows that he put himself above the people he said he served.

I feel this week was not a positive at all for McCain or Arizona as this thread suggests. I for one am glad he no longer represents Arizona.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
John McCain laid the ground work for that very thing by not inviting the President. Your funeral should not be the time to settle political scores.

Prior to this week I simply didn't agree with McCain's politics. After this week I see what an egotistical and shallow person he was. He used his death to get one more jab at his political enemies and it cost the taxpayers a ton of money. This shows that he put himself above the people he said he served.

I feel this week was not a positive at all for McCain or Arizona as this thread suggests. I for one am glad he no longer represents Arizona.
In any case this completes the president's control over the GOP members of congress. Gov. Ducey will select a Trump acolyte and the other never-Trumpers are retiring and also being replaced by forever-Trumpers. Trump's endorsement is now a must-have for any GOP candidate. In two cases this primary season the president's endorsements overrode a 20%+ poll disadvantage.This is reminiscent of FDR's sway over the Democratic party in the 1930s.

Last edited by Potential_Landlord; 09-02-2018 at 12:03 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 03:06 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times
Quote:
This week long mourning period with four services and another tomorrow is ridiculous. I wonder how much the taxpayers are on the hook for this nonsense? I read that he planned this all himself...if so I think less of him than I already did. While I respect his military service, the rest of his career he was addicted to the unfortunate power and money that comes with being a public servant.
I wondered also why so much attention was given to McCain compared to other national figures, and my guess is that he was a sitting Senator when he died, which is a rarity. When Goldwater died in 1998, he didn't get anywhere near the attention that McCain has gotten, but he had already retired about 12 years earlier. The way this is being carried out so long does seem to be overdone, but I still respected the man regardless.

As for how much taxpayer money has gone to all the services: it's a good question, and I doubt if it has been entirely calculated. But considering how much taxpayers already spend on health care ($1+ trillion), all the federal welfare programs ($600+ billion), defense ($500+ billion), and other expenses like education ($60 billion each), I'd be willing to bet the cost of McCain's services amount to a fraction so tiny that it doesn't even register on the radar.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:

I think what McCain wanted by excluding the President is to not have Trump overshadow his own funeral. Boy, they disrespected that final wish. The fake media, his friends and even his own family utterly disrespected his final wish. Instead, his funeral became another media Trump circus like they make up out of everything. However, them abusing a funeral and disrespecting the Senators own final wish for this is a new low. Hard to imagine, but they lowered their standards even more just to get cheap shots at the president. They truly stop at nothing fake.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,708,159 times
This thread has become an alt-right echo chamber (with nearly unintelligible grammar).

Old 09-02-2018, 06:53 PM

2,400 posts, read 2,748,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
He seemed to me not very intelligent and volatile and was so small minded he blamed his defeat on his VP choice, not a fan and never was. At the end, he gave a big F you to the people that made his a life of power and wealth...so in conclusion, I have the opposite view.
Do you have any actual evidence - for instance, in interviews with him, or anything he wrote - where he blamed Sarah Palin? My impression is that he never did, except in private, and even then, not necessarily that he blamed her, but that he regretted the choice.

And I rather doubt that the problem was any lack of intelligence with his choice, but rather that he might have overly trusted aides - which happens to all politicians.

I was never a fan, either, but I'm fine in admitting that I began to warm slightly to him a few years ago, and I was also impressed by things more recently.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,265,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This thread has become an alt-right echo chamber (with nearly unintelligible grammar).
You really need to quit with the grammar police comments in every thread. It lessens anything you have to say.

It is very poor form in a discussion forum and is worse than anyone's grammar mistakes.

Last edited by LBTRS; 09-02-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: