Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:51 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,820,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Stop voting for anyone who wants 'new projects' or any sort of 'budget increases' or 'bonds' (bonds are taxes in disguise) and give a thumbs up for anyone who can find money being already squandered. Plenty of that.
CUT THE FAT! We don't want AZ ending up like many, many other wasteful states. Too easy to spend cash when it isn't yours to spend!
That is not a sustainable policy. Fact is, AZ is a growing state and people are moving in from all over. Growing means more spending is needed on infrastructure, police, fire, schools, roads, etc.. which all requires more money whether it'd be bonds, taxes, or federal funding, or some combination of all.

Unless you're dead set on turning AZ into a San Francisco-style prison cell with LA traffic... then that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 12:08 AM

6,353 posts, read 4,965,332 times
Interesting that this thread started only a week ago now that everybody is waking up to the impending $32 surcharge for vehicle registrations in 2019.

Nobody was hollering about it 6 months ago when it first started getting press.

There are more than 5,000,000 licensed drivers in Arizona. Assume one car for each driver and you get at least 400,000 people discovering the $32 surcharge in their January registration renewals.

Maybe then there will be enough of an uproar to make the politicians run for cover.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Interesting that this thread started only a week ago now that everybody is waking up to the impending $32 surcharge for vehicle registrations in 2019.

Nobody was hollering about it 6 months ago when it first started getting press.

There are more than 5,000,000 licensed drivers in Arizona. Assume one car for each driver and you get at least 400,000 people discovering the $32 surcharge in their January registration renewals.

Maybe then there will be enough of an uproar to make the politicians run for cover.
My understanding was that originally, the legislature floated the idea of raising gas taxes accounting for inflation to today's prices and not 1995 or whatever it was last raised. I thought that was perfectly reasonable to do so as it is not a tax "increase" per say, but I saw it as "cost-of-living-adjustment" but apparently it never gained traction over the potential uproar that it is a tax increase numbers-wise.

But in the end a $32 surcharge isn't much. People in general spend wayyyyyyyyyyy more than $32 on frivolous things anyways but will always complain about the government taking $32 to spend it on public works/safety. When was the last time we actually critiqued each other's spending habits as a society in day to day talks (for the purposes of bettering both parties that is)? Very rarely... cause money topics are taboo in American social interactions. We care about how fancy of a car you have and how big of a house you got and not the money you owe and at what interest rate.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:34 AM

923 posts, read 1,433,608 times
An Arizona state lawmaker wants to repeal a new $32 annual public-safety fee on vehicle registrations that proved to be larger than anticipated.

https://kvoa.com/ap-arizona-news/201...istration-fee/

Old 12-09-2018, 09:06 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,892,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
But in the end a $32 surcharge isn't much. People in general spend wayyyyyyyyyyy more than $32 on frivolous things anyways but will always complain about the government taking $32 to spend it on public works/safety.
Because the government won't "spend it on public works/safety"... and in a few years, they'll come at us for still more and cross their hearts hope to die, they promise it'll get done. It won't.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,990,519 times
Let’s give DPS $32 more so that they can give us all more tickets! Win/win

Old 12-09-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Because the government won't "spend it on public works/safety"... and in a few years, they'll come at us for still more and cross their hearts hope to die, they promise it'll get done. It won't.
I wouldn't say "won't" directly... because state troopers as it is right now don't work for free. They are people too just like you and I. So they are getting paid, some way or another. If state troopers aren't getting paid, I could bet you that they wouldn't be working. Whether that extra $32 is really necessary is really up for debate.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:47 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Let’s give DPS $32 more so that they can give us all more tickets! Win/win
...and purchase more of those intimidating grey and black police vehicles.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:16 AM

192 posts, read 134,488 times
I certainly don’t want to see the COL rise in AZ, but when everyone is demanding higher pay, e.g. teachers and government workers and minimum wage, where do you think the money will come from? The costs of everything go up as a result. I would much rather see it spread to everyone in the form of a small car fee than singling out one segment or class of society. The pain needs to be shared equally, not pushed on to someone else which most people selfishly want to do.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:09 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,314,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn-on View Post
I certainly don’t want to see the COL rise in AZ, but when everyone is demanding higher pay, e.g. teachers and government workers and minimum wage, where do you think the money will come from? The costs of everything go up as a result. I would much rather see it spread to everyone in the form of a small car fee than singling out one segment or class of society. The pain needs to be shared equally, not pushed on to someone else which most people selfishly want to do.
What needs to happen is make the ones who use these services pay all or most of the costs themselves ... a user fee if you will. Education is a good example. The cost of schools is outrageously expensive, and education is the most costly expenditure for the state of Arizona (and most other states as well). Teachers definitely deserve a raise, but shouldn't the cost be the responsibility of the ones who use the schools? Same with roads and public safety: make the users of the highways/freeways pay a fee instead of the entire public. I'm not personally in favor of the extra $32 added to my registration, but I'd much rather have this instead of a tax hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona