Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM

551 posts, read 694,348 times

Advertisements

It's a luxury tax people. If you can afford a new car, you can pay the fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 07:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,659,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
It's a luxury tax people. If you can afford a new car, you can pay the fees.
No it’s not. Are crappy used cars exempt?

Old 02-13-2019, 07:37 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,815,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
No wonder Phoenix never meets its emission quality goals. Too many junk cars on the road due to high sales taxes.
It's not high sales tax. The sales tax is the same rate whether you purchase used or new (for a given jurisdiction).

The difference is in the registration fee (vehicle license tax - VLT), that taxes based on the value of the vehicle calculated by the formula on ADOT's website. Hence, making new vehicles much more expensive to register than older vehicles.

It's in a sense a, progressive consumption tax. The higher value of a good you buy, the more you pay.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,234,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
It's not high sales tax. The sales tax is the same rate whether you purchase used or new (for a given jurisdiction).

The difference is in the registration fee (vehicle license tax - VLT), that taxes based on the value of the vehicle calculated by the formula on ADOT's website. Hence, making new vehicles much more expensive to register than older vehicles.

It's in a sense a, progressive consumption tax. The higher value of a good you buy, the more you pay.
It is a high sales tax...in other places I've lived sales tax on cars is less than the sales tax for other goods. It is normal to pay a couple percent sales tax on cars. I just purchased a car and paid the same sales tax that I pay on every other item I purchase.

Not to mention, sales tax on a newer more expensive car is going to be higher (in total dollars) than it would be on a cheaper used car.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,490 times
Default sales tax on cars

The sales tax only applys to cars bought at a dealership and depending in what city and county will determine your tax . I think the $975 quoted is an error and author meant to say 9.75 % of the purchase price . If you buy from a private party there is no sales tax no matter the age of the car , just the normal registration fees that go down with the age of the car beause of depreciation . My advice is to buy used but only from a private party and eliminate having to pay any sales tax .

Old 03-08-2019, 04:39 PM

47 posts, read 65,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesden View Post
I think the $975 quoted is an error and author meant to say 9.75 % of the purchase price.
Thank you wesden. That explanation makes sense.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:13 AM

732 posts, read 391,685 times
This seems like a good place to ask.

What's the current situation for sales tax on used car sales?

Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
This seems like a good place to ask.

What's the current situation for sales tax on used car sales?
What do you mean by “current situation”? There’s nothing new.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:55 PM

732 posts, read 391,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
What do you mean by “current situation”? There’s nothing new.
OK. to simply the question.

What do Arizona residents pay when they buy a used car in terms of taxes? 'Current' implies what is happening in March of 2019.

Thank you for your input.

When I grew up there, there was no such thing so far as I know. With the influx of Californians, God knows what the tax situation is.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
OK. to simply the question.

What do Arizona residents pay when they buy a used car in terms of taxes? 'Current' implies what is happening in March of 2019.

Thank you for your input.

When I grew up there, there was no such thing so far as I know. With the influx of Californians, God knows what the tax situation is.
Dealer sales are taxed, private party sales are not. I don’t think that’s a situation that’s subject to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: