Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:01 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Just an fyi it's Kaahkeez and you're talking accents (and Bahston is the way actors pronounce Boston when trying to do an accent). Now try pronouncing Worcester.
HA...I was going to mention Worcester...I was on a plane and they announced how long we were from "Wu-stah" and I honestly thought I was on the wrong flight.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,629,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
It is really changing anything? Its just not doing what a subset of people do to feel like they are living the wild west lifestyle. Boy, if we are going back to wild west slang as the accepted vernacular we are gonna have a hell of a interesting time.

I have seen no evidence at all of it being correct to say Preskit other then the fact old timers started calling it that at some point in time. Which goes back to my theory that its a subset of confederate flag pickup truckers at some point in time that started putting that wild west slang on the word. They then spit their tabacky into a cup im sure.
Hahahaha... Isn't there a place around town that's called Press Skeet, for club skeet shooting?

Old 05-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Wow...some of you must be a HOOT at a party.

So just so we have this straight...you move to a place, associate within your echo chamber of local transplants, decide that EVERYONE is mis-pronouncing the name of the place you moved to and then insult everyone that uses the correct pronunciation by calling them uneducated, red neck, jacked up truck racists to try and make them kowtow to your will. Sounds like a typical social agenda I have seen somewhere.

Got it...

Last edited by KurtAZ; 05-05-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 AM

17,779 posts, read 13,673,847 times
In my newbie days I was quickly corrected on the PressSCOTT-PressKIT issue and I hadn't hit town for an hour or so before I was corrected on the TEMPe-tempPEE thing.

After living for a time in Scottsdale I then moved to Tucson as a student at the UofA. In Tucson Prescott was still Presskit but the occasional hard core wildcat fan would refer to Tempe as "Tempiss".............

It was then when I realized this UofA/ASU thing was kind of a big deal. Probably big enough that some sportswriter from Prescott will bring his press kit to cover the ball game.

These days living out of Arizona I hear "Cott" all the time but if I hear "Kit" I know I'm talking to a true Arizonan.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:24 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Wow...some of you must be a HOOT at a party.

So just so we have this straight...you move to a place, associate within your echo chamber of local transplants, decide that EVERYONE is mis-pronouncing the name of the place you moved to and then insult everyone that uses the correct pronunciation by calling them uneducated, red neck, jacked up truck racists to try and make them kowtow to your will. Sounds like a typical social agenda I have seen somewhere.

Got it...

Old 05-05-2019, 12:56 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Mispronouncing it, regardless of spelling, is more likely to make one sound ignorant and lacking education. There are many words that aren't pronounced phonetically. Do you also pronounce the L in salmon to prove your smarts?
Agreed, there are MANY cities and town names that are pronounced other than the way they would seem to be.

And who cares about calling freeways "the 40" or "the 17", that's not just how it's done in CA, it's that way in Canada and many other places too.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Agreed, there are MANY cities and town names that are pronounced other than the way they would seem to be.

And who cares about calling freeways "the 40" or "the 17", that's not just how it's done in CA, it's that way in Canada and many other places too.
Exactly. Suggesting that every word must be pronounced as it’s spelled is one of the most poorly thought out arguments that I’ve heard. Taking it a step further and denigrating those that pronounce it in the common manner just takes the cake.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:15 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Exactly. Suggesting that every word must be pronounced as it’s spelled is one of the most poorly thought out arguments that I’ve heard. Taking it a step further and denigrating those that pronounce it in the common manner just takes the cake.
You mean saying it that way doesn’t mean you’re an inbred hick with a lifted truck and a confederate flag? I was told otherwise by educated outsiders who learned me otherwise.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:20 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I'm going to visit 'Whiskey Row' up in Press-cott next week. It is what it is.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:38 AM

Well...the City says otherwise:

This must be one of the oldest arguments in Arizona. Many people think you're going to sound like a moron if you go to Prescott and start talking about PRESS-cot. It's PRESS-kit, right? Not so fast. We've seen several Prescott residents who insist it's PRESS-cot. That includes a local research historian, who claims all the people who know Prescott history call it Press-cot.

We decided to get a definitive answer from City Hall.

"It is Press-kit," city spokesman Pete Wertheim says. "You best not say Press-cot when you're in Press-kit!"

-Arizona New Times FEBRUARY 3, 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona