Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,289 times

Advertisements

Good morning, folks.
I live in the Scottsdale area and am looking for a strict, bible-based Lutheran Church.
I was raised Catholic and have had enough of this "political machine" and their lies and child abuse.
I need to be in a Lutheran Church who stick with Scripture, celebrate, pray and practice the Liturgy, believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and support the laity in pursuing their spiritual gifts. I have a wife who may not be interested in becoming Lutheran. She is big-time Irish Catholic.

I really appreciate any response.

Walter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,268 times
There are a few LCMS churches in Scottsdale.
Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod - Locate A Church

Old 05-28-2019, 10:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Here is a link that will work. Sorvin's link above is not live, because he or she is a new member. For what you are looking for in a Lutheran church, Missouri Synod would be most appropriate, though I am not sure about the "supporting the laity in pursuing their spiritual gifts" part as to whether that is a fit. There are several other Lutheran churches in Scottsdale. You might consider Casa de Cristo Lutheran Church on Bell Road.

Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod - Locate A Church

Old 05-28-2019, 11:26 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
I believe the Wisconsin Synod is even more conservative than the Missouri Synod.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:35 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter M View Post
Good morning, folks.
I live in the Scottsdale area and am looking for a strict, bible-based Lutheran Church.
I was raised Catholic and have had enough of this "political machine" and their lies and child abuse.
I need to be in a Lutheran Church who stick with Scripture, celebrate, pray and practice the Liturgy, believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and support the laity in pursuing their spiritual gifts. I have a wife who may not be interested in becoming Lutheran. She is big-time Irish Catholic.

I really appreciate any response.

Walter
Phoenix is large enough that you should be able to find a congregation. I had friends from HS who were Lutheran in rural AZ. Some of them moved to Phoenix so they could attend ALA - Arizona Lutheran Academy. As for me, I am Catholic. I understand your disappointment with the Catholic Church. I had disappointing experiences (in some ways) as well. I have dealt with racism and ageism. I also found Catholic dating and marriage to be unrealistic - most Catholics these days marry Non-Catholics. So, I gave up on that and found far more interest from Southern Protestants in the Bible Belt - the southern belles. I had a southern blonde girlfriend who taught me to appreciate Chick-fil-a - lol. The white southern women are not supposed to date a brown Catholic from rural AZ. So, some of them will do it. The forbidden fruit angle works. Go figure.

I still am Catholic though. I would suggest (with all due respect) to reconsider. There are actually good Catholic priests and Nuns. Since Memorial Day was this week, I would point out the sacrifice of Father Watters in Vietnam to save wounded soldiers while he was unarmed. He was killed by friendly fire - RIP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_J._Watters

Old 05-29-2019, 04:26 AM

700 posts, read 918,325 times
My sister-in-law is an Episcopalian who made short work of converting my brother (Church of Christ/Christian Church) to her church. They are terrifically involved in their church which seems very active from what hear from them. Her father was an Episcopalian priest. They seem to do a lot of the things Catholics do also. As I am not religious, I am curious if this church would satisfy your requirements...? How do they compare, in your opinion.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:45 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I would check out two churches with the same name, I've been to both. Have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for.

Christ's Church Anglican on 20th Street north of Camelback, just a bit too high church for me. But conservative and theologically sound. The other church I attended frequently when I still lived in Phoenix was Christ's Church Lutheran on Indian School and 40th Street and it is LCMS.

Solid preaching at both churches.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:31 PM

306 posts, read 335,615 times
I personally am an atheist (who grew up Catholic), but I appreciate your switch away from Catholicism. I wish more people would leave. Supporting an organization that is so decidedly corrupt is difficult to understand.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
By "Conservative" do you mean they follow scripture exactly? Good luck with that.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:16 PM

421 posts, read 390,615 times
I'm LCMS member after being raised Methodist and then marrying into the church. I would just prefer to not be LCMS... just my two cents. I prefer not to degrade women from being pastors, holding positions in the church hierarchy and even ushering in some instances. Just pretty appalling to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona