Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 11:47 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,362,278 times

Advertisements

With the artwork on Arizona's license plates unchanged since 1996 (despite the revision in 2008 to the flat characters and 7-digit format), I think Arizona's license plates are due for a redesign. The problem with the current artwork is that it is prone to cracking and peeling. Initially I thought that problem was exclusive to the 1996-2008 embossed versions of the plates, but more recently I am seeing this occur with some of the flat "A" series plates.

While many would like to see a return to the maroon plates, I just think that design looks a bit dated. My design would be based on the layout of the maroon plates, but would be in a more modern white/purple/teal color scheme (ADOT colors), modernized fonts, and would use flat characters for the serial and cactus. The design would feature an all-white background with "Arizona" on top and "Grand Canyon State" on the bottom in purple Highway Gothic letters, and the serial in teal letters/numbers, with a small teal cactus between the letters and the numbers. I think such a simpler design like I suggest would hold up better than the current design while still looking modern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 04:37 AM

8,277 posts, read 8,673,865 times
No pink?

Old 07-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No pink?
I am pretty sure everyone knows I love pink, but does pink really represent Arizona? I'm simply going with the ADOT color scheme. Plus, ADOT already has its breast cancer awareness pink ribbon specialty plates.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:07 AM

3,411 posts, read 4,645,471 times
I don't believe there are any states in the country that have standard license plates in purple, would be a good idea. Maybe the old D-back color scheme from the late 90s in teal/purple. Design the license plate with a purple background, white font for 'Arizona', 'The Grand Canyon State' and teal saguaro cactus. The current font style is fine in my opinion and easy to read.

Something similar, replace star with saguaro, TX state logo with AZ and Lone Star State with The Grand Canyon State.

What ADOT needs are more vanity license plates branches of the military besides the US Marines such as Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, etc. I've mentioned it several times in other threads.

I suggest we go this route how TX does it.

https://www.myplates.com/

Old 07-05-2019, 09:09 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,277,821 times
I totally forgot about the maroon plates but now I'm remembering my black truck with the maroon plate back in the 90s.

I had a vanity plate one year--the AZ sunset which looked nice in a gold frame on my coppery-orange car. I just didn't want to pay for it every year (along with personaized characters) so I went back to the standard plate.

I wouldn't mind a standard plate with a background color other than white (I really like purple and teal but I'm not crazy about the current plate).

Old 07-05-2019, 05:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,376,832 times
How about just taking the Arizona flag and do the numbers in white or yellow? That would look pretty cool

Old 07-05-2019, 07:03 PM

126 posts, read 105,429 times
I'll probably be in the minority in this, but in terms of license plates, less is more. Arizona should keep the current design of their standard plates, or use a simple white or light background with dark lettering. The specialized plates can be of any design people can think of (within reason).

For the record, I like the current design for the standard plate. I think other states have made some questionable changes just for the sake of change. Arizona does not have to be like that (at least, not for their standard plate). "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

BTW, Arizona already has at least 50 different kinds of specialty plates. Link below shows many of the designs:

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/ve...lateChoice=090

Last edited by Roadwarriors79; 07-05-2019 at 07:12 PM..

Old 07-05-2019, 07:14 PM

What about this design? I'd change the brown text to purple and make it 7 digits.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarriors79 View Post
I'll probably be in the minority in this, but in terms of license plates, less is more. Arizona should keep the current design of their standard plates, or use a simple white or light background with dark lettering. The specialized plates can be of any design people can think of (within reason).

For the record, I like the current design for the standard plate. I think other states have made some questionable changes just for the sake of change. Arizona does not have to be like that (at least, not for their standard plate). "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

BTW, Arizona already has at least 50 different kinds of specialty plates. Link below shows many of the designs:

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/ve...lateChoice=090
Remember, the problem with the current plate design is that over the years many of them start cracking and peeling. A simpler design might hold up better.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Remember, the problem with the current plate design is that over the years many of them start cracking and peeling. A simpler design might hold up better.
Go back to the maroon plate with some changes, 7 digits, embossed, 3 tone colors (white, maroon, black). Doing so won't clash with as many vehicle exterior color unlike the current design.

alternate version

alternate version 3 (without the AZ flag on lower right corner)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona