Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Arizonans would love to pay taxes for teachers, but their money is all tied up in building a gun collection.
I wouldn't. And I don't own a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 12:58 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
For the same reason property taxes are lower there. I remember a big reason we relocated to CA vs. AZ was the school system. But you'll have to pay more taxes my Phoenix friends shrieked. Yeah but you get what you pay for...

Old 08-16-2019, 01:03 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
For the same reason property taxes are lower there. I remember a big reason we relocated to CA vs. AZ was the school system. But you'll have to pay more taxes my Phoenix friends shrieked. Yeah but you get what you pay for...
but how about the poor schools in the other 99% of the state, where taxes are still a ripoff?

Old 08-17-2019, 04:55 AM

390 posts, read 306,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Answer: Teachers don't choose to teach because of the pay. I certainly didn't. And for everyone dogging teachers, I am in a school leadership position in a very challenging area and my teachers are some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. Our leadership team is as well. Those of you with an opinion need to spend a week shadowing a teacher.
It is very concerning and heartbreaking to read some of these comments and see how poorly teachers and the field of education are regarded. Teachers are very hard-working individuals and I don't think many of these people dogging teachers would last the week if they had to step into a teacher's shoes.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:24 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
I read through all of the posts, and I don't think anyone was really "dogging" teachers. The only thing getting "dogged" was the educational system.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:26 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
It is very concerning and heartbreaking to read some of these comments and see how poorly teachers and the field of education are regarded. Teachers are very hard-working individuals and I don't think many of these people dogging teachers would last the week if they had to step into a teacher's shoes.
There are plenty of "very hard-working individuals" out there that get paid the same or worse...not saying they don't deserve a raise (and they have gotten/are getting one)...I don't see why that makes a difference? Many teachers wouldn't want to step into an EMT or SRP Lineman's shoes either.

Besides...the OP is absolutely wrong. The average Teacher Salary (State) in AZ is $50,375 per ADE's latest figures:

http://www.azed.gov/finance/files/20...-20180905.xlsx

Old 08-17-2019, 12:55 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:

As others have said nobody is dogging the teachers. To me, they are in the same boat as the students: getting dumped on by ineffective educational bureaucracies at every level (local, state and federal) that continuously claim they have the answer if they can just get a little more money.
The sad thing is, when voters, parents and some pols attempt to do the supposedly right thing and get more money to the classroom, the funds miraculously dry up by the time they reach the teacher/student on the ground.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:09 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
No one said they weren't hard working. So are baristas at starbucks, clerks at Circle K, attorneys, CEOs, construction laborers.

What's your point?

Old 08-17-2019, 03:35 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Public schools are a losing proposition when taking into account investment vs quality. Private schools smack Public schools in terms of outcomes and do it for cheaper.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:36 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
California Public schools are some of the worst in the country. What exactly are paying MORE for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona