Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 05:46 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The problem with this curfew is: many businesses are closing early, particularly restaurants. Good luck getting a meal for dine in or carry out after 6 or 7 PM at any restaurant that's reasonably healthy. After 7 PM, fast food grease pits are pretty much the only choice. So yes, you can go to any private business, but only during a certain timeframe, and not after the sun goes down.
I agree it was poorly written. I am not sure if there is some protocol regarding curfews and how the have to be written. And because of that lots of businesses decided to just close early even though they could stay one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Businesses have pretty much been forced to reduce their hours thanks to Ducey's kneejerk reaction to the looting problems. And where did the rioting & looting take place? Only in downtown Phoenix and at Scottsdale Fashion Square. A statewide curfew is too intrusive. The more reasonable approach would have been to leave it up to individual Mayors & City Councils to decide what would be best for their own cities. For instance: Gallego could have imposed a strict curfew in downtown Phoenix where most of the trouble was, and perhaps a less strict one for the rest of the city.

It all comes down to one major point: some of us are fed up with having to adjust our way of life all because of a few pathetic losers who have nothing better to do than vandalize and steal. Same thing applies to the COVID 19 situation: all of us shouldn't have to alter our lives just because approximately 1% of the population has contracted the virus, and a fraction of that percentage unfortunately didn't survive.
I agree with you. If anything the curfew should have been just Maricopa county. And the covid 19 orders should have been voluntary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 05:49 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Words have meanings and the order is clear on what it allows and it spells out every exemption. We as citizens don’t get to add in our own “common sense” exemptions and again, a portion of our population doesn’t seem to get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to leeway with law enforcement. Just because you’d likely get away with it or believe that common sense dictates otherwise, you need to quit pushing your spin on it, because the actual words contained within the order are all that actually matter.
I would suggest that any person who does not feel comfortable out during the curfew time should stay home. But if someone is not overly concerned and is going out to do something on the long list of exceptions or items covered by Ducey's spokesperson they should be fine.

Did Ducey do a horrible job on this, yes. Should he have corrected the curfew to add in items they apparently forgot to include in the first place, yes of course. Is it possible that you could be out walking your dog at 10pm and get stopped by a cop not aware Ducey said you could do that, sure that is possible.

My point once again is that the curfew was just make it easy to stop protesters and looters. Anyone not engaging in those activities should be fine.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-07-2020 at 06:00 PM..

Old 06-07-2020, 06:26 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
There is now a photo circulating on Twitter that shows the governor and his wife having dinner at a sushi bar around 9 PM last night. People who don't understand the terms of the curfew are using it as an excuse to shame the governor and accuse him of hypocrisy. Of course, some of the same people are also shaming him for not wearing a mask without answering the question I now ask for the millionth time: How the hell is anyone supposed to eat with a mask on? Also unanswered by the shamers: Wouldn't the person taking the photo also have been out past curfew? My point here: The shamers are wrong, but this incident also underscores the widespread confusion about this clumsy curfew. Thankfully, it expires in 12 hours unless something goes wrong tonight.

Last edited by exit2lef; 06-07-2020 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-07-2020, 07:27 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Look, if the police want to pull you over they will find a way. They certainly don’t need a curfew for that. A few years ago my wife got stopped on her way into work. The officer asked her what she was doing on the streets at such an early hour. She responded that she was going to work. Then on and on with the questions. He walked around the car with a flashlight, and checked the roadway around the car for anything that might have been tossed. All in she was delayed more that 15 minutes.

So I’ll say again, there really is no need for businesses to close, as operating a business is a very explicit exemption. Anyone who is that afraid of the cops should honestly never leave home, curfew or not.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:56 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
So...I assume the curfew is over now?

Old 06-08-2020, 08:14 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
So...I assume the curfew is over now?
Yes, the curfew ended at 5 AM today.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:51 PM

88 posts, read 85,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Unless they choke you to death, of course
"unless BLMantifaCrats™ throw a Molotov cocktail at you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona