Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 05:52 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,382,850 times

Advertisements

We inherited a vehicle from a relative out of state who unfortunately passed. The tags just expired in October. We plan to drive the vehicle back to Phoenix and then register it in Phoenix.

I was looking at the 3 day temp tag, the 30 day tag, and the 90 day tag.

Which one can we use to drive a vehicle that is currently titled in the relative's name, from out of state to AZ, with expired tags?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 06:53 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
If you have a clean title and bring it to the AZ MVD they will transfer it and give you a temporary license plate and registration. The metal plate, tab and reg. will be mailed. I didn't even need to fill out the title at all since it was in may name already. More importantly you will probably need some special documentation to show that the previous owner has given the car to you, since the seller cannot fill out the Seller portion of the title.

Also, be aware that you need an appointment to get into the MVD for title work, drivers license, etc - you cannot walk in. I must've called a dozen times over the course of 2 weeks before I was able to get through, and even then the appt was about 10-14 days out. Call 602-255-0072. You can ask questions to the person who schedules the appointment about your particular situation, since they will screen you for what exactly you need to do and will explain what documentation is required to bring.

I just transferred a title from out of state a couple of weeks ago. If you read the MVD website, it says you need to surrender the old out of state license plate and registration but they did not ask me to do that. You may want to bring those things just in case or ask (see above). I'm not sure exactly how long the temp plate is valid, 30-45 days? It only took a week to get the tab in the mail, since I already had an old obsolete AZ license plate and just reused it. They did say 2-3 weeks is the approx time to receive a plate in the mail, but this was before the election so maybe mail delivery is quicker now.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 11-09-2020 at 07:55 PM..

Old 11-11-2020, 08:15 AM

811 posts, read 621,552 times
You can get a temp permit online for your trip. No need to visit a MVD office for that.

Apply for the longest period that the site allows. Candidly if you’re making your trip soon LE typically allows wiggle room. Expired Oct tags probably won’t even get their attention.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:26 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Also...rather than dealing with the MVD, take the title etc. to any of our third party MVD agents in the state. Sure it will cost you a convenience fee but you won't have to wait around for the MVD to get back to you.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:42 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
We inherited a vehicle from a relative out of state who unfortunately passed. The tags just expired in October. We plan to drive the vehicle back to Phoenix and then register it in Phoenix.

I was looking at the 3 day temp tag, the 30 day tag, and the 90 day tag.

Which one can we use to drive a vehicle that is currently titled in the relative's name, from out of state to AZ, with expired tags?
Just get a 30 day tag. But not sure if you need it titled in AZ first to do that. You can do a 3 day without titling it.

This is assuming the vehicle has AZ tags? Otherwise why not just get a temporary tag in the state it is registered in?

Old 11-19-2020, 11:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,382,850 times
Thanks all for the replies!! I was able to contact AZ MVD and get a temporary registration for the car to transport to AZ. Your replies were very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: