Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 05:05 PM

17 posts, read 18,102 times

Advertisements

@Adamson520

Well specifically I am looking for a little bit of space and more peace and quiet. It would all depend on where I can get another healthcare job, also. I wouldn't want to travel more than 30-40 minutes from a job, or grocery stores (I like Sprouts, Trader Joes's, Whole Foods.) I dislike towns that are just mini mall after mini mall. Would be nice to be in a town with some mom and pop restaurants instead of chains. I don't mind a bit of cooler weather or even a mild amount of snow- but Flagstaff would be too cold for me. I love areas like Scottsdale- where I often go to hike- but it is very expensive there. Someone suggested Oro Valley- but I have read that it is a traffic nightmare to get in and out of there. Prescott is a possibility. There is so much conflicting information on these message boards that it is very confusing when I try to research an area. Since I don't know Arizona well- it is difficult to weed through all of the information on such a big state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 05:20 PM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
If Sprouts, TJ's and Whole Foods are on your must have list, you are stuck with the major metro areas, although Yuma now has a Sprouts.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-12-2021, 05:28 PM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamflickchick View Post
@WK91

I am renting in Goodyear at the moment. I don't feel unsafe here- I was just asking for recommendations on low crime areas outside of Phoenix Metro. I know that Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley and North Scottsdale are very nice areas. But I don't think I can afford them! I love going over to Scottsdale to hike. Thank you for the advice!
Goodyear is mostly fine, except some areas around I-10. But yea, if you want to live in safe areas outside of Phoenix, it’s gonna cost you. I think it’s worth the extra cost to live in those places, though.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
East valley is better. I’d stay in these 3 places: Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley, and N Scottsdale, near or beyond the 101. The further away, the better, is my motto.

Is anywhere truly safe anymore? Not really, always arm yourself and be ready for anything. Don’t just get a weapon, fire it regularly so you don’t freeze up when needed. It’s only going to get worse. No need to go into all the reasons why crime is on a serious uptick in the Valley, we all know why.

When you say you lived in the West Valley and need to find a lower crime area, what are we dealing with here? Maryvale? Avondale? Tolleson? I wouldn set foot in any of those areas without being armed and ready.
OP, take this level of paranoia with a grain of salt. Most aren’t like this and the fearful prepper mentality is way over the top and completely unnecessary. Won’t “step foot in Avondale without being armed and ready”! Come on. Deep breath.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
OP, take this level of paranoia with a grain of salt. Most aren’t like this and the fearful prepper mentality is way over the top and completely unnecessary. Won’t “step foot in Avondale without being armed and ready”! Come on. Deep breath.
I consider crime to be moderately high in Avondale. Not as bad as Maryvale or Tolleson, but still high enough that I wouldn’t want to live there and I don’t care to visit, either.

Perhaps you are ok with being a victim and will gladly hand over your possessions if it happens to you someday? That’s just not me, I can’t accept that without at least doing all I can to prevent it. If it then happens to me, as no person can prevent every crime, at least I can tell myself I honestly tried.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:05 AM

Not "must-haves." Just stores I like. Must-haves are low crime, quiet, less population and traffic.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:08 AM

@WK91- Yes- and I rent near the I-10. My rental complex has very....interesting characters. Definitely an element that I want to get away from.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I consider crime to be moderately high in Avondale. Not as bad as Maryvale or Tolleson, but still high enough that I wouldn’t want to live there and I don’t care to visit, either.

Perhaps you are ok with being a victim and will gladly hand over your possessions if it happens to you someday? That’s just not me, I can’t accept that without at least doing all I can to prevent it. If it then happens to me, as no person can prevent every crime, at least I can tell myself I honestly tried.
No one wants to be a victim of crime but that doesn't justify the borderline agoraphobia. Chances are very high that you'll never need to shoot anyone in Avondale, to the point that it's not even worth mentioning.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamflickchick View Post
@WK91- Yes- and I rent near the I-10. My rental complex has very....interesting characters. Definitely an element that I want to get away from.
I don’t blame you for wanting to relocate from that area. But since you aren’t new to the area anymore, you have a better sense as to what to look for and what to avoid.

The problem is that housing prices have skyrocketed, people are flooding into the area bringing crime and overcrowding, so it’s not so easy to find the perfect, affordable place anymore.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:38 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
Just throwing this out there, the commute from Oracle or Catalina to the hospital in Oro Valley would be 20-30 minutes and avoiding most of the nasty Oracle Road traffic in Oro Valley during rush hour. Oro Valley has most of the amenities you'd be looking for like Target, Home Depot, Sprouts and such. Both communities are slightly higher in elevation and would be 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer than the Phoenix area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona