Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 06:23 AM

17 posts, read 18,128 times

Advertisements

Hi- I moved to Arizona 7 months ago from the East Coast. Took a year rental to see if I liked the area- and quickly realized that the West Valley was not for me. WAY too busy with nothing but chain restaurants and chain stores. I am trying to decide if I want to stay in Arizona or look elsewhere.

I love the Southwest for its beauty and climate (minus the summer months.) I do have reservations about the water situation in the future. I am about 15 years from retirement and I am thinking long-term. I work in healthcare. It is just my husband and I- no children. I love nature and hiking and a quieter lifestyle.

I am looking for somewhere quieter, low crime, and a reasonable distance (1/2 hour) to stores.
Preferably somewhere with a lower population, less traffic and not super-expensive (I realize that home prices have skyrocketed everywhere.) Ultimately looking to buy a smaller home (around 1500-1600 sq. ft.) and not on top of the neighbors. Also not looking at anywhere known to have a lot of meth-heads.

Any thoughts on Wickenburg? Williams? Pros and cons? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 04:15 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Water issues aside, which most of AZ is faced with, look into Sierra Vista, or if you don't mind snow, Show Low.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-10-2021, 05:48 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
Catalina and Oracle outside of Tucson would fit the bill as well.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:22 PM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamflickchick View Post
Hi- I moved to Arizona 7 months ago from the East Coast. Took a year rental to see if I liked the area- and quickly realized that the West Valley was not for me. WAY too busy with nothing but chain restaurants and chain stores. I am trying to decide if I want to stay in Arizona or look elsewhere.

I love the Southwest for its beauty and climate (minus the summer months.) I do have reservations about the water situation in the future. I am about 15 years from retirement and I am thinking long-term. I work in healthcare. It is just my husband and I- no children. I love nature and hiking and a quieter lifestyle.

I am looking for somewhere quieter, low crime, and a reasonable distance (1/2 hour) to stores.
Preferably somewhere with a lower population, less traffic and not super-expensive (I realize that home prices have skyrocketed everywhere.) Ultimately looking to buy a smaller home (around 1500-1600 sq. ft.) and not on top of the neighbors. Also not looking at anywhere known to have a lot of meth-heads.

Any thoughts on Wickenburg? Williams? Pros and cons? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Both are nice places. Wickenburg is Phoenix level hot and Williams is Flagstaff level cold.

If you don't mind Phoenix level hot then there is Casa Grande and the towns around there.

Cottonwood, Payson, Verde Valley are a little more isolated from the big city but are nice and a bit cooler.

Tucson area... a lot of people are moving to the Sahaurita/Green Valley/Continental area as well as the areas mentioned previously (Catalina, Oracle) and you can add Oro Valley and Marana to that.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:30 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
She said no Meth-heads so that would leave Payson-Star Valley out.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:24 PM

558 posts, read 973,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmarlin39a View Post
North of Prescott. Chino Valley, Paulden. I moved here from the East coast 21 years ago. I’m now retired, and love it here.
I second this. Prescott has all the shopping you would ever need, plus decent restaurants and amenities and far fewer chain stores and franchise restaurants. Paulden may be more than 1/2 hour from Prescott but Chino Valley seems to be the sweet spot for real-estate affordability and distance from shopping. And the climate is not brutal, summer or winter. This area is great for outdoor activities like hiking.

And you're close to the Prescott airport, with jet flights to LAX and Denver.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:05 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
I moved from Oregon 10 years ago.
I spent 3 years researching where I fit best in Arizona. I needed close proximity to big city stuff like malls and a wide variety of restaurants, but I also need to be close to nature. Mountains, lakes, rivers and such. I picked east Mesa and I couldn't be more pleased with my choice.
Plenty of shopping, great restaurants all around, Saguaro and Canyon Lakes are minutes away and if I want to escape the valley, I can be up in the pines in Payson in just over an hour and Strawberry about 15 minutes past that.
Jobs are plentiful around these parts, specially in the medical fields.
Queen Creek is also an up and coming area and not too terribly far from Phoenix.
Anyway, the east valley has a lot to offer so it might be worth a look
Good luck.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:07 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamflickchick View Post
Preferably somewhere with a lower population, less traffic and not super-expensive
If you're in the PHX metro area, everywhere else in AZ will be smaller, cheaper and have less traffic. Could you be a bit more specific? There's a lot of range between Tucson (for example) and Pine (for another example).

Old 09-12-2021, 04:09 AM

6,126 posts, read 3,351,401 times
East valley is better. I’d stay in these 3 places: Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley, and N Scottsdale, near or beyond the 101. The further away, the better, is my motto.

Is anywhere truly safe anymore? Not really, always arm yourself and be ready for anything. Don’t just get a weapon, fire it regularly so you don’t freeze up when needed. It’s only going to get worse. No need to go into all the reasons why crime is on a serious uptick in the Valley, we all know why.

When you say you lived in the West Valley and need to find a lower crime area, what are we dealing with here? Maryvale? Avondale? Tolleson? I wouldn’t set foot in any of those areas without being armed and ready.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:46 PM

17 posts, read 18,128 times
@WK91

I am renting in Goodyear at the moment. I don't feel unsafe here- I was just asking for recommendations on low crime areas outside of Phoenix Metro. I know that Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley and North Scottsdale are very nice areas. But I don't think I can afford them! I love going over to Scottsdale to hike. Thank you for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona