Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,992 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
Mtnbkrdr98 and I are looking for a new mountain town. Boise has out-priced us and has pretty much been ruined by greed.
Before we make a decision there are a few questions we have, so any info from locals is very much appreciated!
We like to hike and bike and enjoy the outdoors, he is an avid mountain biker, I am learning, and prefer fire roads or less technical trails with low exposure. Boise has been fun and the wilds are out the back door, which we have loved, hoping to find similar locale.
What can we expect as far as parks, trails, hikes and accessibility?
What kinds of wildlife are encountered most often?
What is the cactus situation?
We like four seasons, or at least spring, summer, fall, don’t know what to expect in a monsoon, please advise. I have always been puzzled about monsoon in AZ, I thought drought was the norm…
Cost of living in terms of what to expect of utilities, food, medical care?
Yes, we’re doing research like on best places.net, but local knowledge is important.
Basically, he “escaped” a beautiful remote, but way overcrowdedCalifornia years ago,
but it followed him here where we met, and now we need to escape Boise.
I work for United Healthcare remotely, and he’s looking for work now, so I’ll be bringing my job with me, and he
may or might have to find one there
Weather for growing a vegetable garden?
Any restaurants besides Mexican? We like Mexican food, but variety is nice too!
What about safety? Ladies, do you feel mostly safe walking alone?
Are there problems with homelessness?
Not trying to start a fight, but how are politics views in SV?
Thank you in advance for all responses!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 06:30 PM

108 posts, read 94,517 times
Sabas_girl;62842913
Hi All!
Mtnbkrdr98 and I are looking for a new mountain town. Boise has out-priced us and has pretty much been ruined by greed.
Before we make a decision there are a few questions we have, so any info from locals is very much appreciated!
We like to hike and bike and enjoy the outdoors, he is an avid mountain biker, I am learning, and prefer fire roads or less technical trails with low exposure. Boise has been fun and the wilds are out the back door, which we have loved, hoping to find similar locale.
What can we expect as far as parks, trails, hikes and accessibility?
Quite a few dirt trails in the mountains- for all skill levels- quite a few MB in the area too.

What kinds of wildlife are encountered most often?
rattlesnakes

What is the cactus situation?
EVERYTHING has thorns, stings or bites.

We like four seasons, or at least spring, summer, fall, don’t know what to expect in a monsoon, please advise. I have always been puzzled about monsoon in AZ, I thought drought was the norm…
For about a month it will pour down rain in buckets about an hour or two a day... wash-outs are common.

Cost of living in terms of what to expect of utilities, food, medical care?
Tucson is the closest decent care your gonna find outside Phoenix... local for the small stuff.

Yes, we’re doing research like on best places.net, but local knowledge is important.
Basically, he “escaped” a beautiful remote, but way overcrowdedCalifornia years ago,
but it followed him here where we met, and now we need to escape Boise.
I work for United Healthcare remotely, and he’s looking for work now, so I’ll be bringing my job with me, and he
may or might have to find one there
Weather for growing a vegetable garden?
Need a shade house and water... soil is either silty clay or rocky so plan accordingly.

Any restaurants besides Mexican? We like Mexican food, but variety is nice too!
A korean place near main gate is good, a couple others but mostly chains.

What about safety? Ladies, do you feel mostly safe walking alone?
Don't go to town at night... stay away from border areas... use common sense..

Are there problems with homelessness?
There are panhandlers everywhere... there are tents in the desert everywhere...

Not trying to start a fight, but how are politics views in SV?

was pretty conservative, so don't bring your liberal ideals and feelings... but Tucson rules that area and it is blue to to the bone... so if you ate the red pill, come'on down we need the support.

Thank you in advance for all responses!!

Old 02-07-2022, 05:01 PM

33 posts, read 46,535 times
I moved down here from SLC and I love it. It's untapped, unparalleled outdoor access with no crowds. PM me if you need anything specific
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona