Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pending Permanent Daylight Saving Time - Good or Bad For Arizona?
Create a new time zone for Arizona? 5 18.52%
Comply with the new pending permanent Mountain Daylight-saving Time for Mountain time zone? 15 55.56%
Other? 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 11:02 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times

Advertisements

Before I start, this has nothing to do with politics.

There's a legislation that was approved by the U.S. Senate to make Daylight Savings Time permanent in all time zones that comply with it, which excludes us and Hawaii. It's still pending approval of the U.S. House [of representatives] and the executive branch, and it's believed that it will pass and take effect next year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...nent-rcna20158

This is a benefit for all states that observe Daylight Savings Time so that the clocks won't have to be reset in the spring and fall, but I don't know about us in Arizona. Are there any benefits for longer daylight hours for Arizona? There are obvious benefits in the fall and winter months, but I'm not sure if Arizona would benefit from it in the summer months

What do you think?

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 03-16-2022 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 11:37 AM

As an Arizona native, from what I understood in the past, Arizona complied with MDT in the summer months but we did away with it in 1968, I was still in my childhood so I can't remember the reason(s) but from what I heard, it was because Arizona's residents in the lower elevations were not happy with the longer daylight hours in the summer months, they wanted the sun to set at the earliest possible time, which supposedly saves on energy use because people got home from work later in the summer months, as opposed to 1 hour earlier, which increased energy use.

Another reason I heard for staying on MST, it benefitted drive-in movie theaters, MDT would have forced them to operate starting at a later time in the evenings, 9:00 or 10:00 PM as opposed to 8:00 PM. I don't know about the rest of Arizona, but there aren't as many drive-in movie theaters in the Phoenix and Tucson areas.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:48 AM

Ooops.. I messed up, I selected the wrong option, I wanted to select the option that allows Arizona to create our own time zone.. Unfortunately CD doesn't allow us to change our selection. Oh well.

Creating a new time zone that's specific to Arizona would probably be the best option, and that would be to stay on our year-long MST, which if this new legislation passed, our time zone would no longer be compliant with the MST, we would be one hour behind the pending new Mountain Standard Time, and we'll be on the same time zone as the states of California, Oregon, and Washington, Pacific Daylight-saving Time.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:48 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Default Sunshine Protection Act

The Senate passed this bill and it now goes to the House. If they pass it, the President will have to sign it into law. I'm guessing most people here would want to stay on the current time instead of shifting more sun later into the evening. The passage of this bill would help us in that live sports and other programming wouldn't change twice a year. Thoughts?
https://www.12news.com/article/news/...e-39a8954bf907

Old 03-16-2022, 11:55 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
The law would not impact AZ in that we would stay on MST year round (maybe we would call it PST then). I like it that CA and NV are on the same time in summer and would like to see that year round. That is the main travel destination for Zonies.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:16 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The law would not impact AZ in that we would stay on MST year round (maybe we would call it PST then). I like it that CA and NV are on the same time in summer and would like to see that year round. That is the main travel destination for Zonies.
It still impacts AZ some. When the rest of the country moved their clocks to daylight savings, It pushed a three-hour difference from AZ to the East coast. Therefore, a business that makes calls out East had to adapt with more coverage or risk missed business. Even things like airline flights make an impact. Losing or gaining 3 hours can be a big deal forcing people to adapt.

I don't know about you, but then I'm constantly thinking about exactly what time zones other States are in. A small PITA. In summary, I'm all for it! And what's even more amazing was it passed with 100% in favor of the bill. I wonder when the last time that happened!

Old 03-16-2022, 12:26 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
... And what's even more amazing was it passed with 100% in favor of the bill. I wonder when the last time that happened!
I was literally shocked that it passed unanimously, that very rarely happens LOL. Let's hope it does the same or come close in the House, if Nancy puts it up for a vote quickly.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
Let me get this straight. AZ will be a MST state, but instead of being on the same time with the other MST states, they will be with the PST states. Right?

Old 03-16-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I was literally shocked that it passed unanimously, that very rarely happens LOL. Let's hope it does the same or come close in the House, if Nancy puts it up for a vote quickly.
It's going to pass. I'm happy that AZ is MST. I love CST the best. PST is a small PITA for me.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Let me get this straight. AZ will be a MST state, but instead of being on the same time with the other MST states, they will be with the PST states. Right?
That's not how I read it. We will be like UT (above us to the North).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona