Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pending Permanent Daylight Saving Time - Good or Bad For Arizona?
Create a new time zone for Arizona? 5 18.52%
Comply with the new pending permanent Mountain Daylight-saving Time for Mountain time zone? 15 55.56%
Other? 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 02:36 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times

Advertisements

Arizona should NOT be part of PST, we are a mountain state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 02:42 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Arizona should go with the rest of Mountain Daylight Time states like Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc. Otherwise, just abolish savings time nationwide and do standard time year-round.
Although abolishing DST would be nice, I don't think it'll ever happen.

Since Arizona is on permanent Mountain Standard Time and we're in the Mountain Time Zone, I don't think most Arizonans would like going with the rest of the Mountain states when and if this takes effect next year, since the majority of Arizonans live in the lower desert elevations in the Phoenix and Tucson areas (below 3,000 feet ASL), and daylight hours in the summer months are long enough anyways, so there's no reason to make them longer.

New Arizona residents probably wouldn't care, but most of us native Arizonans want to see the sun set at the earliest possible time in June, July and August. It probably wouldn't bother you if you lived in the higher elevations to have an extra hour of daylight in both the fall and winter months, and it would be good for us desert dwellers too, but I don't know about the summer months, you won't find too many of us doing yard work when the sun is setting or at dusk, on some days it'll still be above 105 degrees outside after sunset.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:45 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Although abolishing DST would be nice, I don't think it'll ever happen.

Since Arizona is on permanent Mountain Standard Time and we're in the Mountain Time Zone, I don't think most Arizonans would like going with the rest of the Mountain states when and if this takes effect next year, since the majority of Arizonans live in the lower desert elevations in the Phoenix and Tucson areas (below 3,000 feet ASL), and daylight hours in the summer months are long enough anyways, so there's no reason to make them longer.

New Arizona residents probably wouldn't care, but most of us native Arizonans want to see the sun set at the earliest possible time in June, July and August. It probably wouldn't bother you if you lived in the higher elevations to have an extra hour of daylight in both the fall and winter months, and it would be good for us desert dwellers too, but I don't know about the summer months, you won't find too many of us doing yard work when the sun is setting or at dusk, on some days it'll still be above 105 degrees outside after sunset.
They could just include southern AZ as part of pacific daylight time, northern AZ will be with MDT.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:48 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's not how I read it. We will be like UT (above us to the North).
No, because when UT jumps to daylight savings time in 2023, AZ doesn't, because they are excuded, therefore AZ will be with California time permanently.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:26 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,727,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
So the country will be protecting sunshine, but at the expense of no longer saving daylight
Public policy is always about sacrifices.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:40 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Morning people got the short straw on this.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:18 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Ooops.. I messed up, I selected the wrong option, I wanted to select the option that allows Arizona to create our own time zone.. Unfortunately CD doesn't allow us to change our selection. Oh well.

Creating a new time zone that's specific to Arizona would probably be the best option, and that would be to stay on our year-long MST, which if this new legislation passed, our time zone would no longer be compliant with the MST, we would be one hour behind the pending new Mountain Standard Time, and we'll be on the same time zone as the states of California, Oregon, and Washington, Pacific Daylight-saving Time.
It makes no difference to me. I'm just happy to be living here. I wasn't going to vote but after reading your comments I voted for Arizona to create its own time zone for you.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:55 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Crap! IMO, then AZ needs to do a single, one-time change to become MST. Because that aligns with other states north of us. Potentially, pride is going to get in their way and they don't want to change. I bet the topic will be discussed. In the end, I doubt they will change it. Considering our current events, who knows if will even matter. 2023 seems like a long time away.
LOL no. We move our clocks back, it will be getting dark before 4:30pm in the middle of Winter. The local junior high kids don't even get off the bus until 4:45. No thanks. We keep our time the same and let others change as they see fit

Old 03-16-2022, 07:05 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
Quote:
AZ needs to do a single, one-time change to become MST
Umm.. I thought AZ already was MST??

Old 03-16-2022, 10:09 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Arizona should go with the rest of Mountain Daylight Time states like Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc. Otherwise, just abolish savings time nationwide and do standard time year-round.
Politicians should quit passing these stupid bills to "save the sunshine", and just abolish DST all together. DST is unnecessary, outdated, and ridiculous. Are there any benefits for longer daylight hours for Arizona? Absolutely not. If there's one thing this state doesn't need, it's additional sunlight. We get more than enough as it is, and the summer heat & intense sun are the reasons Arizona doesn't observe DST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona