Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pending Permanent Daylight Saving Time - Good or Bad For Arizona?
Create a new time zone for Arizona? 5 18.52%
Comply with the new pending permanent Mountain Daylight-saving Time for Mountain time zone? 15 55.56%
Other? 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 12:52 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's not how I read it. We will be like UT (above us to the North).
No. The bill specifically states that Arizona and Hawaii, the only other state that has a permanent time zone, would be allowed to remain on their current standard time. Arizona has had a permanent time zone since 1967. So when everyone else moves to permanent daylight time as they did this week, AZ will have the same time as CA and NV year round.

Quote:
(2) STATE EXEMPTION.—Such section is further amended by—

(A) redesignating subsection (b) as subsection (c); and

(B) inserting after subsection (a) the following:

“(b) Standard Time For Certain States And Areas.—The standard time for a State that has exempted itself from the provisions of section 3(a) of the Uniform Time Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C. 260a(a)), as in effect on the day before November 5, 2023, pursuant to such section or an area of a State that has exempted such area from such provisions pursuant to such section shall be, as such State considers appropriate—

“(1) the standard time for such State or area, as the case may be, pursuant to subsection (a) of this section; or

“(2) the standard time for such State or area, as the case may be, pursuant to subsection (a) of this section as it was in effect on the day before November 5, 2023.”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 12:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's not how I read it. We will be like UT (above us to the North).
I don’t think that’s right:

Since the Pacific coast states move to Mountain Standard Time during daylight saving time, which is Arizona's permanent time zone, Arizona would always be aligned with those states instead of being an hour ahead of them during the winter months if the bill is signed into law.

Because the bill states that Arizona and Hawaii would be allowed to remain on each state's standard time and the bill is meant only for states that observe daylight saving time, Arizona is not directly affected by the bill.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:59 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
This is just plain stupid.
"From now on, noon will be 1pm."
In a few years, will 1pm become 2pm?

Why can't businesses or states or whatevers that want DST just tell workers to come in at 6am instead of 7? There's no reason to change the clocks at all.

There's never been a good reason for DST to begin with, least of all the old story that it benefited farmers. Were we supposed to think that twice a year, the chickens suddenly changed their schedule? (I'm sure they do change with daylight length, but it would be gradual, not abrupt, and probably more than a single hour.)

Old 03-16-2022, 01:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

Why can't businesses or states or whatevers that want DST just tell workers to come in at 6am instead of 7? There's no reason to change the clocks at all.

There's never been a good reason for DST to begin with, least of all the old story that it benefited farmers. Were we supposed to think that twice a year, the chickens suddenly changed their schedule? (I'm sure they do change with daylight length, but it would be gradual, not abrupt, and probably more than a single hour.)
It's rather arbitrary in the first place. I mean what is "standard" time but just some decree about when a day begins and ends. In the upper midwest, DST is quite pleasant - in summer anyway. The higher latitude means longer daylight hours so losing one from the front end and putting it on the back end makes for a more pleasant use of time if you will with an added hour for outdoor activities after work. Here in the Phoenix part of AZ, no one wants to wait another hour after work for the sun to go down so we can come out of our air conditioned shells.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:17 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
The main impact is what time football games start on TV. I prefer the 10am NFL and 9am NCAA kickoff times so I'm fine with being in line with the West coast. Major downside is the stock market opens up earlier and I'm an active trader but the football schedule makes it worth it

Old 03-16-2022, 01:27 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The main impact is what time football games start on TV. I prefer the 10am NFL and 9am NCAA kickoff times so I'm fine with being in line with the West coast. Major downside is the stock market opens up earlier and I'm an active trader but the football schedule makes it worth it
Agreed. Love 4PM hockey and baseball, hate early markets.

Also, Sunshine Protection Act is up there as one of the dumbest names ever.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:30 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

I remember listening to a guy who wrote a book about DST and according to his calculations the sector that benefitted the most was the BBQ industry.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:46 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Arizona should go with the rest of Mountain Daylight Time states like Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc. Otherwise, just abolish savings time nationwide and do standard time year-round.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:20 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don’t think that’s right:

Since the Pacific coast states move to Mountain Standard Time during daylight saving time, which is Arizona's permanent time zone, Arizona would always be aligned with those states instead of being an hour ahead of them during the winter months if the bill is signed into law.

Because the bill states that Arizona and Hawaii would be allowed to remain on each state's standard time and the bill is meant only for states that observe daylight saving time, Arizona is not directly affected by the bill.
Crap! IMO, then AZ needs to do a single, one-time change to become MST. Because that aligns with other states north of us. Potentially, pride is going to get in their way and they don't want to change. I bet the topic will be discussed. In the end, I doubt they will change it. Considering our current events, who knows if will even matter. 2023 seems like a long time away.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:32 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
So the country will be protecting sunshine, but at the expense of no longer saving daylight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona