Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Who knows? Why does the gov't do a lot of the things they do?
Good point, but this came out of the AZ legislature where a significant number of the members think that any attempt to regulate the highways is an assault upon our God-given rights. These same guys are usually involved in trying to pass legislation to ban cameras rather than laws that would make them work better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
How does a plastic plate cover obscure the plate? Reflection?
The plastic covers should be banned. I don't know about the speed cameras, but they do a great job covering up half the plate where you can't see it. At that point the person should be pulled over. Apparently, they have something to hide. LOL

Old 05-21-2008, 05:31 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The Arizona Senate on Tuesday gave a tentative green light to legislation that would ban plastic covers and other materials motorists use to obscure their license plates from speed and red-light cameras.
Great post, Greatday . . .

This is one of those COMMON SENSE LAWS since there is absolutely no logical reason to cover a license plate except to BREAK AND/OR AVOID THE LAW.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
They dont work, period. Mythbusters tested this myth awhile back, using every kind of plate cover under the sun and none of them worked. The only time they beat the camera was by hitting obnoxiously high speeds. All the other covers, sprays, etc, were proven ineffective by the show.
I saw the same thing. They don't work. I have one but I kept it because it is light green and matches my car. Its kind of funny that AZ is going through all this if they don't work to begin with.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
How does a plastic plate cover obscure the plate? Reflection?
Quote:
They dont work, period. Mythbusters tested this myth awhile back, using every kind of plate cover under the sun and none of them worked. The only time they beat the camera was by hitting obnoxiously high speeds. All the other covers, sprays, etc, were proven ineffective by the show.
Sorry, Steve-o . . . THEY DO WORK VERY WELL.

Not only do they obscure a license plate from Speed and Red Light Cameras but they also obscure a license place from victims and witnesses of crimes.

Obviously, only a COMMON CRIMINAL would need to obscure the license plate or plates on their vehicle.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, Steve-o . . . THEY DO WORK VERY WELL.

Not only do they obscure a license plate from Speed and Red Light Cameras but they also obscure a license place from victims and witnesses of crimes.

Obviously, only a COMMON CRIMINAL would need to obscure the license plate or plates on their vehicle.
You should check out the myth buster program. Maybe it didn't take into consideration all the conditions or all types of cameras but it showed them NOT working.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You should check out the myth buster program. Maybe it didn't take into consideration all the conditions or all types of cameras but it showed them NOT working.
I can tell you, from personal experience, I have been behind vehicles with these types of coverings and I cannot read the entire plate number. Usually, it is the right side that is obscured.

Forgetting the issue of photo radar, if I was an officer about to do a traffic stop, I want the ability to run the plate for W+W BEFORE doing a stop -

With some of these plates - it isn't possible

Get rid of the covers. I support the legislation

Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I could care less about Myth Busters or any other similar organization . . .

I have witnessed License Plate Covers first hand and they do work. They are not simply clear and or tinted plastic allowing the plate to be clearly visible. Using "filters" and other blocking tactics, they very cleverly obscure either all or a portion of the plate, especially if viewed from a slight angle off center.

Bottom line . . . only a criminal would find the need for such devices.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The legislation failed.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Weird/Quick Question....does Arizona require front and rear plates or just rear plates?

I kinda wanta keep my front area reserved for an Arizona plate and a PSU Alumni frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona