Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 11:25 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,349,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Just me, but that would make a difference. For a place to live year 'round, I think I could tolerate Vegas heat, partly because it's not as hot, and partly because it doesn't last as long. But I'm sure others may feel as you do.
I agree, it's probably all subjective. Myself I've never noticed that much temperature deviations between 5 degrees or less. Of course depending on how high or low the temperature is at the extreme end of the range.

Before we moved Lake Havasu City was one of the places that we looked into. Until one of the realtors told us that we had to take into consideration that Lake Havasu City was in the Mojave Desert. With summertime temperatures close to that of Death Valley CA. Coming from New York where the winters really suck it was hard to imagine what 120 degrees would be like? Especially when it's a "dry heat". I just hated the winter so much that winter in Lake Havasu City would be a blessing. But it just wasn't worth the other extreme during the summer. In New York when it's 95 degrees out in the shade once you step out the door you sweat like a pig.

I live in central Arizona at 5,500 ft. in elevation where the temperatures are a little bit warmer than New York and the winters are relatively short compared to out there. For the most part we don't have to get all bundled up either. Sometimes if the wind isn't blowing just a sweatshirt will do. During the summer if it's 95 degrees in the shade during the summer you can sit outside and not sweat so profusely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 12:03 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I agree, it's probably all subjective. Myself I've never noticed that much temperature deviations between 5 degrees or less. Of course depending on how high or low the temperature is at the extreme end of the range.

Before we moved Lake Havasu City was one of the places that we looked into. Until one of the realtors told us that we had to take into consideration that Lake Havasu City was in the Mojave Desert. With summertime temperatures close to that of Death Valley CA. Coming from New York where the winters really suck it was hard to imagine what 120 degrees would be like? Especially when it's a "dry heat". I just hated the winter so much that winter in Lake Havasu City would be a blessing. But it just wasn't worth the other extreme during the summer. In New York when it's 95 degrees out in the shade once you step out the door you sweat like a pig.

I live in central Arizona at 5,500 ft. in elevation where the temperatures are a little bit warmer than New York and the winters are relatively short compared to out there. For the most part we don't have to get all bundled up either. Sometimes if the wind isn't blowing just a sweatshirt will do. During the summer if it's 95 degrees in the shade during the summer you can sit outside and not sweat so profusely.
As I've gotten older, I've actually had a higher tolerance for cold and less for heat. I still prefer warm weather, but months of 100F+ temperatures is just too much. I got spoiled by California's mild year 'round temperatures. After spending last winter in the Philadelphia metro, I learned winter wasn't as bad as I thought. But that's partly because we had a very mild winter on the East Coast last year, with less than 1 inch of snow the whole season. So, while a place like Philly is too cold for me long term, I think I could handle living in a place with mild and short winters. Places like Virginia Beach, St. George UT, or Albuquerque come to mind.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As I've gotten older, I've actually had a higher tolerance for cold and less for heat. I still prefer warm weather, but months of 100F+ temperatures is just too much. I got spoiled by California's mild year 'round temperatures. After spending last winter in the Philadelphia metro, I learned winter wasn't as bad as I thought. But that's partly because we had a very mild winter on the East Coast last year, with less than 1 inch of snow the whole season. So, while a place like Philly is too cold for me long term, I think I could handle living in a place with mild and short winters. Places like Virginia Beach, St. George UT, or Albuquerque come to mind.
We looked into moving to St. George UT. Summer's can be pretty hot there too. In the Southwest, whether it will be hot or not all depends on the elevation.

https://weatherspark.com/y/2380/Aver...r-RoundClimate and Average Weather Year Round in Saint George
Sep 29, 2017 · In Saint George, the summers are sweltering and mostly clear, the winters are very cold and partly cloudy, and it is dry year round.

https://en-us.topographic-map.com/map-sdtf/St-George/ George topographic map, elevation, terrain
Average elevation: 3,048 ft Minimum elevation: 2,392 ft Maximum elevation: 4,911 ft The St. George valley occasionally receives wet or slushy snowfall in the winter

Old 05-09-2023, 08:38 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
It"s great if you want to live in one of the most right wing counties in America. Paul Gosar is your congressman, Borelli and Biasucci are state reps. If you are a maga fan and love DJT you will be very
So sounds like a great place then.....?

Old 05-09-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
So sounds like a great place then.....?

Old 06-28-2023, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 4,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retireee View Post
good place to retire?

no!

Old 06-29-2023, 08:11 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,417,441 times
Imagine wishing you had moved to Bullhead City....https://youtu.be/hoGt-qKbXDg

Old 08-05-2023, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 4,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retireee View Post
good place to retire?
no!!

Old 08-09-2023, 01:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Here's my "not approved by the Chamber of Commerce" commentary. It's tongue in cheek, mostly.

It"s great if you want to live in one of the most right wing counties in America. Paul Gosar is your congressman, Borelli and Biasucci are state reps. If you are a maga fan and love DJT you will be very happy there. Havasu is by far the most progressive town in the county - which is also home to the Warren Jeff's polygamy clan of the FLDS church. Mohave county is still the wild, wild west. There aren't many rules here and those there are, are mostly ignored.
To be clear, his home in in Colorado City, AZ which is at the border of AZ and UT. Even Mohave wants nothing to do with it.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
OP, the simple answer is yes Havasu is a great retirement community. The average age is 55 or so, so that helps. BUT, its also a party town...although not nearly as popular as it used to be. If you love boating you'll fit in just fine. Crime is generally low and usually top 10 in the state.

Havasu is the only city in Mohave County I'd live in. That being said, there is better....and cheaper. Havasu has become expensive, mostly in the housing realm. Its being slowly invaded by Californians. Other things to note: Havasu can be confusing to get around, outside of the main roads. Its designed like a monkey threw a bowl of spaghetti on the ground. As others have said, its HOT!! The summer months are rough, make sure you have a good working AC and a backup. The winters are wonderful, but all the snowbirds show up.

Havasu is also isolated, and the next closest towns would be Needles, Bullhead, and Kingman. Larger cities would be Vegas, and slightly further is Phoenix.

Another problem most people don't mention is there is one way in and out on 95. I suppose you can take the dirt roads if you got a vehicle for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona