Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2023, 09:24 PM

40 posts, read 44,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Just me, but that would make a difference. For a place to live year 'round, I think I could tolerate Vegas heat, partly because it's not as hot, and partly because it doesn't last as long. But I'm sure others may feel as you do.
I'm with you on that, I currently reside in a hot part of CA, so I'm not a stranger to the heat, a little increase or decrease does make a difference to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 09:56 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,095,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colt22 View Post
I'm with you on that, I currently reside in a hot part of CA, so I'm not a stranger to the heat, a little increase or decrease does make a difference to me.
Yeah anyone who lives in or around the Inland Empire of SoCal would be right at home in most of Arizona.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:49 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,057,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Yeah anyone who lives in or around the Inland Empire of SoCal would be right at home in most of Arizona.
One thing people need to be aware of is that the medical/hospital situation in Lake Havasu City is not great. Many people who go over there to retire figure this out when it's too late.

One couple I know had to go all of the way to Tucson for cancer treatment when the husband got esophageal cancer from drinking and smoking. He passed away, unfortunately.

Another retired couple had to come back to LA to get treatment at UCLA when the husband got diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and liver cancer. That person passed away, as well.

A third couple I know bought a part-time home and they had Kaiser insurance due to being retired government employees. The husband had an alcohol-related stomach issue and his wife had to fight with Kaiser to get them to pay for his hospital treatments in Kingman.

I have a close friend who worked in the long-term care facility in Havasu and they have told me it is basically a corrupt and mismanaged mess owned by a few local doctors who use it to pad their pockets. And, Arizona being what it is, does not regulate most of its medical facilities in remote regions of the state. This same person also told me that if you have a serious medical issue, it's best to get in your car and drive an hour to the regional hospital in Kingman.

Another option is to go to Las Vegas. However, when people in Las Vegas openly tell you that they go to LA or Phoenix for serious medical issues, you have to wonder if it's really worth it to go to Las Vegas in the first place?

There is a VA clinic in Lake Havasu City, but the closest full medical facilities are Las Vegas and Prescott, AZ.

So, to your statement about the Inland Empire being equitable to Arizona, I'd say not in the health care/medical sense, unless you happen to be in Phoenix or Tucson where there are more ample resources.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:04 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
^This is an important post, and not to be taken lightly.

We have a home in Scottsdale. Over the years I have been through the wars at Scottsdale medical facilities and have been verbally abused by practitioners until I simply gave up. The only facility that would help me is Mayo Clinic. Unfortunately I can't get a PCP there, so I went back to our California home.

I get first class medical care in Silicon Valley at Sutter Health (Palo Alto Medical Foundation) and at Stanford. They are the best.

It's unfortunate that seniors in Lake Havasu don't have the best health care available. I wish I had an answer.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,057,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
^This is an important post, and not to be taken lightly.

We have a home in Scottsdale. Over the years I have been through the wars at Scottsdale medical facilities and have been verbally abused by practitioners until I simply gave up. The only facility that would help me is Mayo Clinic. Unfortunately I can't get a PCP there, so I went back to our California home.

I get first class medical care in Silicon Valley at Sutter Health (Palo Alto Medical Foundation) and at Stanford. They are the best.

It's unfortunate that seniors in Lake Havasu don't have the best health care available. I wish I had an answer.
Exactly.

A senior in the Inland Empire of California would have access to the state safety net through IEHP/MediCAL, or Kaiser Permanente facilities. Also, depending on their coverage, Loma Linda, the VA hospital, medical specialty offices in Riverside, Redlands, Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario; Hoag, UC Irvine and other Orange County facilities, as well as anything in Los Angeles County.

That's a lot to potentially give up when you're at a medically-vulnerable stage in your life.

Yes, California's not cheap, but we also get much better services and resources.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:30 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,095,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
<snip>So, to your statement about the Inland Empire being equitable to Arizona, I'd say not in the health care/medical sense, unless you happen to be in Phoenix or Tucson where there are more ample resources.
Well the post I was responding to and in fact quoted did not mention anything about medical or anything else but heat. In that sense, my statement about equality is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona