Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,516,201 times

Advertisements

Are dogs not affected by scorpion stings? I'm even more afraid of my dog getting stung than I am for myself. He has major health problems so it terrifies me that he might get stung by one inside the house when I'm not home to take him to the vet. This dog is like my kid.

I've heard of conditioning dogs against snakes, so I'm going to look into doing that, which will hopefully help him avoid rattlers. We get snakes in our yard here in TN, but not rattlers. He walked right over a snake not too long ago, and I did too, as we didn't see it in the grass, but it was just a big black snake, nothing poisonous. The snake didn't even try to strike us, until I got the hoe out to move it out of the yard. That snake did not want to be moved. I did eventually get him out and put him in the field, but he struck out at the hoe several times in the process.

My dog found some skin that a snake had shed (don't know what type, but it wasn't a typical garden type of snake), and he was very leary of it and backed away from the skin, so hopefully he can sense that they're nothing to mess with. Scorpions will probably be a bigger problem for him, because he does like to investigate bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Speaking of scorpions, I had my AZ derert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) out last night for a little walk last night and made a short video of it.
Cool video, but I hope to never see one that close up in person.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Are dogs not affected by scorpion stings? I'm even more afraid of my dog getting stung than I am for myself. He has major health problems so it terrifies me that he might get stung by one inside the house when I'm not home to take him to the vet. This dog is like my kid.

I've heard of conditioning dogs against snakes, so I'm going to look into doing that, which will hopefully help him avoid rattlers. We get snakes in our yard here in TN, but not rattlers. He walked right over a snake not too long ago, and I did too, as we didn't see it in the grass, but it was just a big black snake, nothing poisonous. The snake didn't even try to strike us, until I got the hoe out to move it out of the yard. That snake did not want to be moved. I did eventually get him out and put him in the field, but he struck out at the hoe several times in the process.

My dog found some skin that a snake had shed (don't know what type, but it wasn't a typical garden type of snake), and he was very leary of it and backed away from the skin, so hopefully he can sense that they're nothing to mess with. Scorpions will probably be a bigger problem for him, because he does like to investigate bugs.
Well, not trying to scare you, but your dog is a prime candidate to die from scorpion sting. I dont think a sting from any Vaejovis, Hadrurus or Smeringurus species will harm it, but a sting from a Centruroides exilicauda (bark scorpion) might prove fatal. Like I said, Im not trying to be the bearer of bad tidings, but a sick, old dog probably wont make it through a bark scorpion sting.

Regarding rattlers... they are definitely more of a concern than scorpions. A bite from a rattler would more than likely spell the end of your dog. Like you also mentioned, there are some classes you and your dog can attend that will teach them to avoid snakes. Lucky for us, dogs are very smart and will learn very quickly what animals to leave alone.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Cool video, but I hope to never see one that close up in person.
Theyre nothing to worry about. That was a Arizona desert hairy scorpion, the largest scorpion in North America. Notice how, even when I was messing with it, that it never once raised its tail in a threatening form? For the most part scorpions are very docile, shy critters. If they sting its because they feel very threatened or have been persistently bothered. Bark scorpions are quick to sting, all other species I have encountered and kept as pets from AZ are not whatsoever.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Well, not trying to scare you, but your dog is a prime candidate to die from scorpion sting. I dont think a sting from any Vaejovis, Hadrurus or Smeringurus species will harm it, but a sting from a Centruroides exilicauda (bark scorpion) might prove fatal. .
Thanks for the warning, Steve. Since the bark scorpion is the one most seen in homes there, that is not good news. I was hoping the sting wouldn't be that bad for a dog. He's a large dog, in case that makes a difference. I guess I'll have to question the landlord (or seller if I buy) very carefully about past problems with scorpions in the house, and also call exterminators to see if they've had any calls for that address, before I sign any contracts. Or find a different state to move to. I'm really hoping I don't have to change plans to move there though, but my dog is the most important thing in my life, so he has to come first.

Is there a bark scorpion antivenin that people can buy for their dogs, to give in case they can't get to a vet in time?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the warning, Steve. Since the bark scorpion is the one most seen in homes there, that is not good news. I was hoping the sting wouldn't be that bad for a dog. He's a large dog, in case that makes a difference. I guess I'll have to question the landlord (or seller if I buy) very carefully about past problems with scorpions in the house, and also call exterminators to see if they've had any calls for that address, before I sign any contracts. Or find a different state to move to. I'm really hoping I don't have to change plans to move there though, but my dog is the most important thing in my life, so he has to come first.

Is there a bark scorpion antivenin that people can buy for their dogs, to give in case they can't get to a vet in time?
Well, it definitely helps that he is a large dog!! How large though? German Shephard/Rottweiler/Retriever size? That could make or break the situation. Im almost positive that an old, sick Chihuahua would bite the dust if stung by a bark scorpion. But if a healthy, 30-40 lb young child needs medical treatment from a bark scorpion sting, a small dog would certainly need treatment too.

As for antivenin, Im not sure what vets use (if anything) for dogs. You should call around and see what some vets think and/or recommend.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,214 times
This morning was rather humid, and it reminded me how I hated the heat of Texas. It wasnt quite as bad as texas, in fact not even close, but I still thought it was miserable. I love the dry heat.

Try and attack the weather here, and I think your in for a battle. Most of us love it here.

I don't know how ya'll southerners handle that sticky crap day after day after day.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Well, it definitely helps that he is a large dog!! How large though? German Shephard/Rottweiler/Retriever size?
He's a collie mix, around 75 lb.

Quote:
I don't know how ya'll southerners handle that sticky crap day after day after day.
Some of us don't handle it well.... which is why we wanna move to AZ.
I don't do much outside in this humidity. I spent time in AZ in the summer for several years and it was too hot to do a lot, but I was able to tolerate that heat much longer than I can tolerate this humidity and all the biting bugs.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
He's a collie mix, around 75 lb.

Some of us don't handle it well.... which is why we wanna move to AZ.
I don't do much outside in this humidity. I spent time in AZ in the summer for several years and it was too hot to do a lot, but I was able to tolerate that heat much longer than I can tolerate this humidity and all the biting bugs.
No joke there.

Wash DC summers were almost as brutal as their winters.

Admittedly; I have been giving idle thought about moving to the 'Hi-Desert' area of SoCal (Yucca Valley, etc) or even to Charleston, W Va.

The former place is drier than even Phx (but 5-10 degrees cooler in the summer on average) and Charleston, despite it being very green with lots of water coupled with very low housing costs-----the weather there is too similar to DC for me to seriously consider it.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,419 times
Hmmmm! Scorpions, rattlesnacks, dry, extreme heat, can't afford to live there vs. ticks, humidity, and plant life that provides oxygen, stay young looking longer, and can afford to live here. Yeah, I'll take Tennessee, anyday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona