Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 03:36 PM

647 posts, read 3,342,911 times

Advertisements

I would recommend renting for a while until you know exactly where you want to live, which will depend as much on where you're working too, in addition to your husband. By waiting, you'll have a better idea of where you want to live, and you'll also have a higher combined income when you're working, so you'll qualify for more. At your price range right now, you can find a house, but it'll be far away from your husband's job and/or it'll be small and probably older so you'd likely want to upgrade in a few years.

Rent first - there are lots of nice apt communities, or even rent a house...you can find houses for around $1000 a month that will take pets - we did it. Take a few months and explore the valley, b/c it's really big - it looks deceiving on a map, but traffic and road construction play a big part in travel times.

As for the negatives, please don't stress about them too much. Bugs are NOT a problem here. I know many people say they are, but I grew up in VA and we had as many bugs there, and a lot more snakes. Anyone who's smart contracts with a monthly pest exterminator and you're totally fine.

And I've had nothing but positive experiences with the people here. We've been here over 3 yrs and I'm still amazed by how nice and friendly people are, for the most part, of course - you find rude people everywhere. But seriously - it's NOTHING like the DC area, or the Philly or Boston area. We were back in DC last week and I was quickly reminded how mean and rude people are back there. I will say that many people in the Scottsdale area can be a bit on the snooty side b/c of all the money there, but you won't be living there so it's not an issue. We've been extremely happy living in Chandler and Gilbert. So many people here are transplants that it's much easier to make friends b/c we're all in the same boat.

If you're not a fan of heat, summers will be tough for you. But you can swim a lot, and everything is air conditioned with misters outside - you'll get used to it. And you can always go up to Flagstaff or other mountain areas for the weekend. And they get snow up there in the winter, if you need a "fix"

I know how scary it is to move across the country, especially to such a new environment. Try not to worry too much about it. Good luck with your move!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundsrule View Post
Hi everyone!

My husband has accepted a job offer in Scottsdale w/ a large corporation. They are providing relocation assistance but he just sent the offer in this week so we're waiting for clearance (which won't be a problem) until the relocation company is in contact with us. Well in the meantime I'm going crazy because I am a researcher and do not like entering any situation blindly.

So here's what I know so far from my research:
We can't afford to live in Scottsdale or Paradise Valley (I don't have a job lined up & probably won't be looking for one immediately until we get settled in so we're just relying on his income).

Have been looking at areas of Chandler, Mesa, Glendale, Queen Creek, etc. but concerned on the commute he'll have to Scottsdale w/ some of these areas (he's spoiled now - only 10 min. drive to work).

We are looking at homes, preferrably new in the $170,000 -$199,999 range. It must have at least 3 bdrms & 1.5 baths & be at least 1300 sf (more would be better). This is what we currently have & I refuse to downgrade.

I am concerned w/ all the crime that I've been reading about in AZ. Although we have it here too, it sounds much worse in AZ.

Also, I read the car insurance is much higher. Here in PA we pay $1700 for two newer (2003 & 2005) leased vehicles. Does anyone have a similar situation & can you tell me what you pay for insurace?

These are just a FEW of my concerns as I am one of those people whose mind never shuts off & I guess I worry alot too!!!! So any information you can provide me with on where to live, crime in these areas, housing market, insurance and overall living expenses would be creatly appreciated. Oh - I did hear that the cost of living is BASICALLY the same btwn. AZ & PA but that's a very general statement.

Any information you can provide will hopefully put my mind at ease for awhile.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 03:38 PM

16 posts, read 105,594 times
Default Utilities are high too

Water and electric is very high in AZ. You will have air conditioning on at least 6 months. If you want a yard with lawn water is very high and not drinkable. Most people buy water to cook and drink with cause of the high salt contint in the city water. I lived in AZ for 7 years and you really have to make sure where you buy you have water year round too if you move out to the country side. Four of those years I moved 3 1/2 hours away to get away from the heat and worked double shifts at the hospital and then stayed home for two. But the winters are awsome!! I would like to snowbird there.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM

647 posts, read 3,342,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abingdon View Post
Most people buy water to cook and drink with cause of the high salt contint in the city water.
??? I've NEVER heard of anyone buying water to cook and drink. Is that just in downtown Phoenix, similar to people in downtown D.C. not drinking tap water?

I've not heard of, or experienced, this at all during our 3 yrs here. Everyone I know drinks water from their refrigerator water dispensers, and we all cook with tap water. We do drink bottled water, but for convenience reasons.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:09 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
??? I've NEVER heard of anyone buying water to cook and drink. Is that just in downtown Phoenix, similar to people in downtown D.C. not drinking tap water?

I've not heard of, or experienced, this at all during our 3 yrs here. Everyone I know drinks water from their refrigerator water dispensers, and we all cook with tap water. We do drink bottled water, but for convenience reasons.
Agree, that remark was way off.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:31 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
I buy bottled water and only drink that. I would never drink tap, but I will cook with it. All fridge water goes through a filter, so taht takes care of that. Everyone I know knows not to drink the tap here- it just tastes bad!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:20 AM

24 posts, read 91,115 times
Default Thank You!

Thanks everyone who set my mind at ease by mentioning all the positives of Arizona! It makes me feel much better about this huge move.

I think we may just have to rent. We'll be working with a relocation company provided by the company my husband will be working for so I'm sure they will be useful in helping us find a rental that will take pet and quickly!

Someone on here asked me if I visited AZ. And the answer is: no I did not! I know it sounds crazy. I was definitely planning on it before my husband had to make his decision but there just wasn't time. He interviewed down in AZ but between his flight arrival, his interview & being whisked back to the airport (he was only there 1 night) he didn't get to see too much but liked what he did see.

The timeframe from when he was offered the job & when he had to submit his acceptance was only 5 business days therefore it only gave us 1 weekend at the last minute to book a flight. It would've cost us alot of $$$ flying from PA last minute & booking a hotel. I felt it was a waste of $$$$ which we currently don't have alot of!!!! I figured how am I going to get a feel for the area just by visiting 1 or 2 nights. Visiting is NOT living there.

I'm not worried about my husband - I'm sure he'll be okay. More concerned for myself. He's lived away from home before - I never have. But think it'll be a good experience for me & I'll learn to become more independent. Besides if I don't like it we can always eventually move back. But most people I know that leave PA to move out west never come back. However, I'm thinking I'll like it out in AZ - more opportunities for me! I also have some family in CO and they're only 1.5 hr. flight away, if I get homesick!

Thanks again. Busy getting our house ready back here but I'll post as things progress.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:44 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Since you mention flights to visit relatives, one of the advantages of PHX is that it is focal point of flights from two major lower cost airlines and has service to selected cities by a couple more of them. The competition keeps the costs of flying to almost anywhere low (relatively) especially if you shop the sales that they have.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,763,880 times
I have to mention another plus to living in Maricopa County. I feared being called to Jury duty because it would mean a trip into downtown. I want the newcomers here to know that we have an awesome, juror friendly court system here. They made it quite enjoyable today and there is even a very nice cafe right next to the courthouse. I took Grand ave down from N. Peoria to avoid the freeway and it was not that bad. Made most of the green lights and I was in downtown Phoenix in no time at all. It really is a beautiful big city.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM

27 posts, read 209,609 times
Not only is car insurance very expensive, but so is registering your car. In New York it was dirt cheap, but in AZ not so. It is all done by the value of your car. We have a new Chrysler mini van and we pay about $500 per year. Our Neon is ten years old, so we have finally gotten it down to under $100.

Loved the comment about cracked windshields. We never experienced one until we moved to AZ. Since moving to AZ, we've had at least 5.

I think renting is very good advice. It is a good idea to try out your community. We have found that out the hard way. Also, those commutes to work can be excruciatingly baaad. You need to do it for a few months to see if you can hack it. It seems very few people in AZ live near to where they work. The traffic is thick and the driving practices dangerous.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,048 times
Default Realtor in Az.

Having lived here for 22 years I have witnessed changed. It is important to note that any big city has some pitfalls but it also has its many pluses.
If Az. was so bad we would not have so many people moving here as well as many corporations relocating here. The traffice is definetly a problem because of poor city planning. Not nearly what it is like in Chicago, Atlanta or LA. It is obvious that many many people are tired of the harsh elemants in other parts of the country. I would highly reccomend living close to where you work; Unless you do not mind commuting. Right now you can buy a nice home for the money as it is a buyers market. To get a decent place you will have to spend at least 250,000.00. Phoenix is only going to continue to grow. So what ever you buy as long as you hang on to it for at least 5 years you will make equity. I was born and raised in Chicago. This place is Heaven compared to Chicago. Although, we still do not have alot of culture here yet. Slowing it is coming. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. I feel wherever you are it is what you make of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona