Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:04 PM

24 posts, read 91,058 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband has accepted a job offer in Scottsdale w/ a large corporation. They are providing relocation assistance but he just sent the offer in this week so we're waiting for clearance (which won't be a problem) until the relocation company is in contact with us. Well in the meantime I'm going crazy because I am a researcher and do not like entering any situation blindly.

So here's what I know so far from my research:
We can't afford to live in Scottsdale or Paradise Valley (I don't have a job lined up & probably won't be looking for one immediately until we get settled in so we're just relying on his income).

Have been looking at areas of Chandler, Mesa, Glendale, Queen Creek, etc. but concerned on the commute he'll have to Scottsdale w/ some of these areas (he's spoiled now - only 10 min. drive to work).

We are looking at homes, preferrably new in the $170,000 -$199,999 range. It must have at least 3 bdrms & 1.5 baths & be at least 1300 sf (more would be better). This is what we currently have & I refuse to downgrade.

I am concerned w/ all the crime that I've been reading about in AZ. Although we have it here too, it sounds much worse in AZ.

Also, I read the car insurance is much higher. Here in PA we pay $1700 for two newer (2003 & 2005) leased vehicles. Does anyone have a similar situation & can you tell me what you pay for insurace?

These are just a FEW of my concerns as I am one of those people whose mind never shuts off & I guess I worry alot too!!!! So any information you can provide me with on where to live, crime in these areas, housing market, insurance and overall living expenses would be creatly appreciated. Oh - I did hear that the cost of living is BASICALLY the same btwn. AZ & PA but that's a very general statement.

Any information you can provide will hopefully put my mind at ease for awhile.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 03:27 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
Do you know what part of Scottsdale? Is it south, north or oldtown?

Queen Creek would be a hell commute. What about a condo? If not, what is the oldest home you would consider? Your price range is very difficult with an ok commute. That was the price range a few years ago (10?) in the valley. You might find an older home (1980's-1970's) in an yucky neighborhood.

I just checked the MLS and found that you can find (a few) newer home (1996 and newer) in your price range in Chandler (zip code 85249), but they are only 1000 sf, 2 bedrooms. Also in south phx (zip 85040), also very small. And a few over in the west valley 83rd ave and camelback, they are 840 sf! Anything else is just too much.

You may need to up your range, settle for an older home, or have your hubby commute an hour or two.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:30 PM

Oh yeah, I believe you will pay a lot more for car ins. We have high rates due to the crazy drivers and lots of accidents/thefts.

We pay $3300 a year for two cars that are a couple of years older than yours.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:45 PM

[quote=sablebaby;289766]Do you know what part of Scottsdale? Is it south, north or oldtown?

Not really sure since this is all new to me. Looked up the address of where he'll be working and it seems that Scottsdale Municipal Airport and the Kierland Golf Club are nearby. Roads that are close are N. Greenway Hayden Loop and N. Scottsdale Rd.

Not sure if you can tell me from the info above.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Yes, that is north Scottsdale.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 PM

As for a condo - that is not an option for us since we are moving w/ our 3 cats and 1 dog. We also live in a townhouse back here for 6 yrs. & have alot of furniture that I'm not willing to part with.

I did see some new homes in the price ranges I mentioned. Most were of course in the Queen Creek area that you mentioned was a hellish commute. The builders were KB homes and Pulte homes. Also saw some homes in Maricopa - I believe that's even further than Queen Crk???

Old 01-19-2007, 03:51 PM

The car insurance is ridiculous! We researched as much as we could but I still feel my husband jumped into this. The company didn't give him much time to make the decision (5 business days)! Although it is a huge increase in salary for him. Currently in PA pre tax income is $35,000 this new job in AZ pays $55,000 (which I read is the median income). Any feedback on this?

Old 01-19-2007, 04:01 PM

Yep, you can find a lot of homes in your range in Queen Creek, but like I said it would be very, very far to commute. Would there be a way for him to work alternate hours, or work some from home?

The commute would be at least 50 miles (I looked this up) and an hour with little traffic, or closer to 2 hours with our typical morning traffic.

That's a lot of time and frustration in one's life. My advice: find an older home or settle with a condo/townhouse. I commute 18 miles to work and hate it ( and I love to drive), but this traffic is crazy.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Or maybe rent for 6 months before deciding!

Old 01-19-2007, 04:09 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
If I were you I would seriously consider renting for a time. Rentals are everywhere right now because of the housing issues going on here. And you can rent a house a lot cheaper than you can buy it for. The speculators are desperate for income while they wait for the market to recover.

As for insurance, it varies. Shop around. I pay 65 a month for an 04 pickup and 80 a month for an 05 van. It's cheaper if you pass on the no-deductible glass, but that is not a good idea around here. We must be the cracked windshield capital of the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona