Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 AM

11 posts, read 33,278 times

Advertisements

I've been reading about poorly built new houses in many places in Arizona. Did I mis-understood that implications? Via search, I didn't see anything regarding concrete houses (I did see concrete "fences"). Do they exist?

What would you say that majority of the houses in Arizona are made out of? Wood stick built? Mud? Concrete?

Makes me wonder if we decide to move to Arizona, would we find many good "well-built" homes? Or, would we be better off building a ICF home?

In case any of you are not familiar with ICF---it is abbreviated as Insulating Concrete Form. I'm sure that ICF can be googled.

One more question: How in the world do snakes and scorpions enter the house without knowledge? Do they generally enter old houses that has cracks, would that be it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,355,298 times

Mud?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:43 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,355,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie B F View Post
I've been reading about poorly built new houses in many places in Arizona. Did I mis-understood that implications? Via search, I didn't see anything regarding concrete houses (I did see concrete "fences"). Do they exist?

What would you say that majority of the houses in Arizona are made out of? Wood stick built? Mud? Concrete?

Makes me wonder if we decide to move to Arizona, would we find many good "well-built" homes? Or, would we be better off building a ICF home?

In case any of you are not familiar with ICF---it is abbreviated as Insulating Concrete Form. I'm sure that ICF can be googled.

One more question: How in the world do snakes and scorpions enter the house without knowledge? Do they generally enter old houses that has cracks, would that be it?

Mud?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,758,009 times
Rammed earth? I love concrete and wish we could have built our home here with it. Some of the custom homes are ICF constructed homes, but most of the tract builders use wood. I have not seen any mud, rammed earth homes here yet.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Rammed earth? I love concrete and wish we could have built our home here with it. Some of the custom homes are ICF constructed homes, but most of the tract builders use wood. I have not seen any mud, rammed earth homes here yet.
There may be some on the Navajo reservation up north.

altus2006

Old 07-28-2008, 12:25 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,884 times
Snakes and especially scorpions will enter through any number of cracks in a home, just like any other insect. It doesn't matter what age the home is, there will be a way they get in.

Most homes here are made out of straw. Just kidding. They are made of wood, chicken wire, and stucco. Some older homes are block or brick.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:23 PM

529 posts, read 2,395,852 times
Yep sablebaby has it right, in Arizona wood/wire/stucco is pretty much king. You'll find the occasional brick and block, and for custom homes you'll also see rammed earth a bit.

I know of some builders who used to use block and steel studs in their subdivision homes, but that was several years ago. Those homes still fetch higher prices today!

If you can afford it, ICF may be a better way to go.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:08 PM

69 posts, read 224,391 times
Check this out.

Monolithic Dome Institute

Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,341 times
Maybe you meant "adobe" when you said mud. Adobe brick is used occasionally and is a very good building tool but is not at all the norm.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 AM

11 posts, read 33,278 times
My apology for using the word "mud". I did not mean to be offensive.

After taking a look at the adobe picture, that would be the accurate description.

Thank you all for answering my questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona