Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 PM

854 posts, read 1,709,834 times

Advertisements

Maybe I didn't word it properly. I don't want the high heat of Phoenix, etc. Sedona and Cottonwood are too expensive, and too much snow. The area needs to have affordable housing and not much snow. Are there areas in northern or central Arizona that fit my criteria(My first post lists my criteria). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 05:42 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,345,813 times
Hi..
Kingman.. elevation about 3000' (+/-)
Very close to the Colorado river and Lake Mohave/Davis Dam (Bullhead city).
Affordable housing... Hospitals, Supercenters and such.
Very little snow, if any..

Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 AM

11 posts, read 39,272 times
I was born and raised in southeastern Arizona (Cochise County) but was never much of a fisherman but know you could always go up to San Carlos Lake or on up to Big Lake to fish if needed. My nephew still lives down there, not too far from our old ranch at the base of the Chiricahua Mountains
in the small community of Sunizona. There may be 5 days a year where it will get over a 100 and 5 days a year where it may freeze and once every 5 years or so you will get to see snow on the ground if you don't get up to late!
He has 8 acres their and wants to sell 4 acres with his modular home on it and build a new home on the other 4 acres where his shop is. He works for the power plant near Willcox. I would say this would be one heck of a buy for someone wanting to retire as jobs are virtually non-existent. This is about 50 miles north of the Mexican border and is still a farm based area with beautiful scenic mountains to the east and west. If you want any further information you can email me at priceracing@cox.net. I am retired and live in Tempe and it does get warm here in the summer!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 AM

687 posts, read 2,954,996 times
Read my post re;Sierra Vista in Arizona city by city, top of forum.
Be warned that the "lakes" we have here are your ponds in Wisconsin, more or less!
Patagonia is nice, but weekends and holidays...forget it. But if you're retired, weekdays would be great. Parker is a tad more remote, trolling motors only. You'll want to approach it from the Sonoita side, not the Coronado Monument side.
Being this close to the border, you'd be surprised that we've no problem to speak of with illegals around Sierra Vista area. They are more interested in the metro areas.
And besides, most are merely people who want to work. That said, I would not venture deep into the mountains here alone or unarmed, the drugrunners are another matter altogether.
Our temps in s.e. Arizona fluctuate by the location obviously. At over 4,000 feet, we have temps well below Phoenix or Tucson in the summer, yet perhaps one snowfall per winter. Anything else, let me know.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM

861 posts, read 2,194,056 times
Some pretty good fishing around Safford....not to mention San Carlos (30 miles away), there is Ropers Lake, just outside of town, Cluff ranch, (15 miles) Frye mesa about 8-10 miles, (caught our limits of 12-15 inch trout saturday), Dankworth pond, Gila River (BIG catfish...55 pounder caught near Ft Thomas this year.) Eagle creek, and Black river (smallmouth...plus another spot that I wont reveal) Trout creeks on MT Graham...Ash, Grant and Marijilda (maybe, not sure of its status since the 2004 fire), and a bunch of private farm ponds if you can get access.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:23 AM

Caught this in another (I choose to keep secret) pond near Safford.

4lb + Largemouth.

Caught these in the same pond

Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM

854 posts, read 1,709,834 times
Thanks Safford. That's a nice load of fish there. Are those small ones crappies? I assume you live in Safford? It appears to be off the beaten path? What kind of stores/businesses in Safford? What type of town is it?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks Safford. That's a nice load of fish there. Are those small ones crappies? I assume you live in Safford? It appears to be off the beaten path? What kind of stores/businesses in Safford? What type of town is it?

Yessir they are crappie....and my daughters and I had a load of fun catching them.
I do live here in Safford and love it. We are about 3000 ft in elevation, 35-40,000 population (in the immediate area, encompasses 3 towns that are right next to each other) climate cooler than Phoenix or Tucson but not anywhere near as cool as Flag or Prescott. It is a farming, mining area, and we have a pretty good assortment of stores and restuarants...SuperWalmart, Home Depot, Dennys, Safeway, Bashas, McDonalds , Arbys, and such like...plus an assortment of good to great local fare.
There is a very nice downtown with a traditional Main street and a lot of events go on there.

I have lived here for most of 35 years and am sold on the area.

Absolutely great for the outdoorsman....fishing, hunting, offroading, hiking, (we have a mountain that rises to nearly 11,000 feet right outside of town ...fantastic pine country, meadows, streams, ets.) and just an assortment of things to do.
And a lot of nice folks here too.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM

I have posted these on the picture thread but it will give you an idea what the mountains outside of town look like.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,368,221 times
Saffordpastor -

VERY NICE indeed!
Thanks!

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona