Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 AM

54 posts, read 248,400 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Arizona sometime in October. I have been to arizona once when I was a little girl (up to the Grand Canyon). Basically I was wondering where in Arizona to live. I fell in love with the breathtaking sights in the Grand Canyon and really want to move to a good location.
Preferably a low crime area, a pet-friendly area. I was hoping to start out with an apartment (and hour or two away from a city) and area with some stores in it as well. Any suggestions from people who live there?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 09:06 AM

647 posts, read 3,341,853 times
Arizona is a big state and has changed quite a bit over the years, so it likely will not look like you remember it. The Grand Canyon is still as spectacular, the mountains still as gorgeous, the blue skies still as bright...but there are more people and the cities are a lot bigger too.

My first recommendation would be to come visit before you decide you want to move here. Come in the summer and in the winter. My next suggestion is to find out where you'll be working first, then decide where to live. There are a lot of beautiful places to live - it just depends on where you'll be working, how much you can spend, how big of a city/town you want, etc.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:28 AM

well i've been reading different posts here and sedona sounds marvelous, but it does sound pricy...are there any towns near sedona? i was hoping to buy an apartment or a condo before buying a house. as of now i have a major in human psychology.

and psychiatrist openings in arizona =)

i live in maryland right now. i love the "small town" feel. i'm not much of a city person. I'm 24 and hoping to move out of maryland and into arizona.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 AM

4,000 to 20,000 a year on a condo or a house? is that possible?

Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 AM

i'm sorry-house i meant apartment

nowhere can you get a house for that little =)

Old 03-03-2007, 10:29 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,407,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrkissesxox View Post
i'm sorry-house i meant apartment

nowhere can you get a house for that little =)
Hey. I moved out here from Washington DC almost two years ago.

Couple of things:

1.) Northern AZ is a wonderful place. I love that area of the state. Sedona is probably the most beautiful place behind the Grand Canyon. It is generally green, there are trees, and the weather is mild. BUT (and there's always a but) the job situation up there is not that hot. Therefore, even if you found a job in your area of interest, the pay may be a pittance.

2.) Arizona is not structured like states back East. By that I mean there are not that many real small towns, with the same feel I am sure you are used to in Maryland. Almost everyone lives in the major metro areas of Phoenix or Tuscon. In fact, I read somewhere that Arizona is one of the most "urbanized" states. Not meaning that it is urban (it is not) but that it has the highest proportion of the population living in the big metro areas.

3.) Because of the two above, I believe that condos/apartments outside of Tuscon or Phoenix are extremely rare. The towns around Sedona mainly consist of retirees (or people near retirement) who buy a plot way out and build a house on it (and normally it's a big one). You probably will find some apartments in Flagstaff because there is a college up there, but the typical "Person buys a condo first close in and then eventually moves to a house" is not as common here as back East. Most people buy cookie cutter homes WAY OUT on the edge of metro areas in developed communities. Doesn't have a city feel to it at all, but it doesn't have a small town feel either.

I would recommend coming out here multiple times to check this place out. I love the Grand Canyon, but unfortunately that's not really what it is like to live here. If you are going to live in Northern AZ (which is a beautiful place), I would make sure you square a job down or at least VERY good leads before moving out here. Maybe try and get some interviews and then come out to visit?

Anyway, good luck.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
I think your relocation scenario is admirable, but maybe not entirely realistic. As mentioned above, true small towns are rare here. Most small towns within an hour of the major cities of Phoenix and Tucson have been absorbed into ever-widening belts of suburban development. If you live on the fringes of either metro area, you might find low housing prices and a relatively quiet residential neighborhood, but you might also find choked roads, long commutes, and few amenities other than big box stores and chain restaurants.

Although you state that you are not a "big city" person, you may actually be better off living in an apartment or condo near the core of either the Phoenix or Tucson areas. Both are low-density cities, so any stereotypes about high-rise living and a fast pace are not necessarily applicable. For some that's a negative, but for me it has become a positive in terms of allowing a comfortable suburban lifestyle within a short distance of cultural amenities and outdoor recreation. You'd also be able to combine the job opportunities of a major metropolitan area with the ability to take weekend road trips to places like Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

Regardless of the communities you target, I strongly reiterate the advice above to visit -- preferably several times -- before making any decision. It sounds like your childhood memories of the Grand Canyon are powerful ones, but they may not be entirely reliable guides in choosing a place to live.

Last edited by exit2lef; 03-03-2007 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 PM

well one of my best friends (who also posts on this name) is going there for college. she's only 18. I kind of want to move to AZ with her, after I moved away about 4 years ago to my little town in maryland for college i've been hoping to catch up with her. now, I'm hoping to get a condo somewhere in arizona-i really am not into "critters" and after reading some posts aren't too sure either =)

Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,171,289 times
You really should get your own name on here. It's very difficult for two different people to use the same one. Then it confuses people, like it already did. Once you start confusing people they won't want to help you anymore.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,465 times
I bought a small place out here close to the Grand Canyon but I use it as a part time house and commute to larger cities for work. I would reccomend that, or accept a job first and then buy.
Good suggestions by other folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona