Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 PM

383 posts, read 641,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I would be scared to see what Sierra Vista turns into if the base ever closed...

Well I live here, in Sierra Vista. If the base was to close, yes it would affect our city. But the base isn't going anywhere...knock on wood...and we do have a few defense contractor companies Northrop being one of them. None of them have anything to do with the base. The base is all intel work and a training base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 AM

892 posts, read 1,501,311 times
So it took two months since my last post here to decide that no, Phoenix is not the area for me. It's not that it's a bad place, it just doesn't offer what I'm looking for (I really want to get out of the big city/suburbia areas, into something more rural), and frankly, I just don't enjoy the summer heat. I can tolerate it just fine, but I'd rather deal with it getting a bit colder for longer in the winter than hotter, longer, in the summer. I'm not planning on going back to frigid cold winters, but maybe somewhere that's still low humidity, with the average temps moved down 10-20 degrees both in winter and summer. I can deal with some snow and cold, just not the 6 months of it we had in Detroit, lol.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:50 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,528,540 times
urbex - wow, there's a lot to choose from....flagstaff, tucson, sierra vista, las vegas, st george utah ? get & explore the world, you'll eventually find what you're looking for. phx was too hot for me, but i used my time there to explore & ended up outside of vegas.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,731,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
So it took two months since my last post here to decide that no, Phoenix is not the area for me. It's not that it's a bad place, it just doesn't offer what I'm looking for (I really want to get out of the big city/suburbia areas, into something more rural), and frankly, I just don't enjoy the summer heat. I can tolerate it just fine, but I'd rather deal with it getting a bit colder for longer in the winter than hotter, longer, in the summer. I'm not planning on going back to frigid cold winters, but maybe somewhere that's still low humidity, with the average temps moved down 10-20 degrees both in winter and summer. I can deal with some snow and cold, just not the 6 months of it we had in Detroit, lol.
Have you considered Colorado?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
I went to Minnesota for a few months after I turned 18. Ntm extensive traveling around California and up to Nevada and Idaho. I wish I never came back. Now I feel like I'll be stuck here for my entire life. I've traveled all over Arizona, north and south, but overall it's all the same. I was born here but I don't want to die here.
The heat really bothers me as well. San Diego is AMAZING. Perfect weather all year!
Minnestoa is good, but you'd have to like lots of snow and zero degree weather.
Washington, Idaho (if you like cooler weather but a desert area, southern Idaho would be perfect), Northern California, San Diego (the only place In SoCal that is worth living in)...
I would live in any of these palces, but I'll always regret coming back to AZ

Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 11,007 times
love Arizona, but live in New mexico now, 1/2 hour from the AZ border, would move back, but cost and taxes of living in NM is considerably lower.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 AM

741 posts, read 1,680,091 times
I moved to Tempe, AZ in 1973..at the age of 3.. lived there until age 18 then ran away ..joined the Navy..lived in 7 other states (RI, VA, TX, CA, FL, IL, CT), moved back to AZ..

Did a big move to Orlando, FL..with 3 cats and 6 kids..3 cars..a Uhaul..etc.. back in 2007...

moved back to AZ 10 months later..
NEVER moving out of AZ again because I know that I can't live without my AZ sun, panoramic blue skies, and mountains..

Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,711,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Boompa, I heard some nice things about Sierra Vista. They say the temperature is much nicer than here in the valley.
Low 70s last few days, it rained almost every day in August. The weather is great but it is remote here.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM

197 posts, read 454,207 times
Default Note to newcomers

Don't come to Arizona, preferably Phoenix area, expecting it to be just "WARM". No, you're going to be HOT. That's what so many people think then I have to hear them whine about it later.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM

76 posts, read 143,456 times
moved in 1974 to NY and back in late 1975 and stayed in mesa, gilbert area until 2005. Moved to Prescott until 2007 then to Virginia. Work brought us to there and 1 divorce later, here I am still in Virginia. Want to move to the beach area, VA, NC, SC but not likely the west coast. Not ruling out AZ as a final stop since I have property north of Prescott but unable to sell due to the economy and lack of interest from buyers. Anyone need 4 acres?? will only hold onto it if it becomes beachfront property due to earthquakes in California.... lol btw, there is a lot to like about AZ but depending on where,wants, and needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona