Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:33 PM

286 posts, read 640,177 times

Advertisements

The thing that bothers me about HOAs is over reaching nosey-ness and never ending fee increases. My friend in California couldn't even hang laundry outside and was nearly forced to put the car in the garage. In addition, it's money I could be using else where. But, think about it. Where else can you buy 5 wooded acres with a 1600 square foot (living) house for 120k? In a very nice neighborhood. I can go outside my front door and pi55 if I want and I don't have to deal with anyone telling me what I can and can't do on my OWN property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Wow, you sound like me. Except for the pastry chef thing, but I have my own creative side, woodworking. You have Arizona written all over you. Wildlife, off-road, exploring, hiking, we have it all here. I'm a software engineer as well (sounds better than computer programmer ), but I work remotely for a company in CA. Your wife could work anywhere. You ought to open up a computer/IT shop in a small AZ town somewhere.
Sounds good Kdog.. I'm waiting for my wife and son to get here (They are from China). As soon as they get here, after getting through the visa "stuff" we will be making a visit to AZ. Gotta be some place out there for us to live

Thanks,

Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
LOTS of nice neighborhoods in metro Phx DON'T have HOAs. (like mine) Matchbox houses are common, but that doesn't describe every neighborhood.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:01 PM

197 posts, read 752,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
I have been thinking for a long time to move to Arizona and am now not going to do it. I'm in Florida and am going to stay here until I can find a place better.

Here's why:

1. HOAs. Seems like the greater Phoenix area have been buffalo'd by HOA groups. I don't like HOAs, I don't like HOAs, I don't like HOAs!!! Period!! and won't ever live in one.

Our realtor in AZ gave us a list of subdivisions with no HOAs. I love Florida, but almost all listings I found have HOAs.

2. High auto insurance costs. Up to 4 times what it costs in Florida.

I'll need to check that out. When we called State Farm in Florida, the agent said it was very expensive in Florida.

3. Speeding Harassment via Speeding Cameras and Speed traps.

Don't speed. Just kidding - we have them here in Washington.

4. Matchbox Communities. I'm buying a 1600 square foot house on 5 wooded acres in Florida for 120k. Couldn't find anything like that in Phoenix.

Which town? How's flooding and hurricane risks? How much will the property tax and homeowner's insurance cost? You can DM me if you wish not to post personal info.

So, for now, I'm saving a visit to Phoenix for just that, a visit. I think the quality of life in Phoenix is not what I thought.
We'll be going to AZ some time in May to check out the Chandler area. So far, it seems that Chandler is more RV-friendly than Florida. However, I really do love Florida but will most probably move to Chandler.

Enjoy your home in Florida. Hope everything works out for you.

iuki

Old 01-26-2009, 06:23 PM

I'm living in Sebring Florida. I grew up here. Hurry-canes? Been though many. More dangerous on the coast than inland (IMO) and only recently (in the last 10 or 15 years) have they become the monsters they are. Property taxes recently went up but for my 5 acres and 1600 sq ft home I'm preparing for about 1800 a year. Insurance (home owners) about 1200 a year. You want a place to put a RV, they're all over the place here. Not a problem. I'm about 2 hours to either coast. So why am I interested in AZ? Well, development and the State. The state is snatching up lands left and right along with development. In addition, the local land owners are fencing up their lands. So, as I mentioned in a previous post, I want nature, open spaces and clear night skys with the sounds of nature.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 PM

oh, Auto Insurance. I pay 75.00 a month for two vehicles. One Full coverage and one basic (my jeep).

Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 AM
wng

72 posts, read 245,438 times
Auto insurance varies from city to city, and can be expensive for different reasons. When I moved to Boston, I was surprised the rates were as high as NYC. Apparently it's the city with the highest accident rate. In Phoenix, it's mainly because of theft, close to Mexico. The snowbirds also add to the fender benders. If you don't need full coverage or theft, your rates will be lower.

Hmmm, it's hard to debate your case of a 1600 sqft/5 acre/$120k. And no HOA! That's pretty good!
If you can make a good life for yourself in your part of FL, then all is well.
Overall, I'm satisfied with what I ended up buying in the Phoenix metro area, last year. But we weren't considering any other city. We were looking for a complete change of scenery from the east coast. We will miss familiar things, but the Southwest is special in its own right.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM

849 posts, read 2,923,497 times
Billybob, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I live in Florida too, like you. I was born and raised in California (So Cal, Ventura County-25 years there). I used to visit my parents in Tucson all the time, but they ended up relocating to Florida as well. I didn't care too much for the southern Arizona scenery- Tucson and Phoenix were all a little too urban for me.
2 years ago I went to Page Az and Lake Powell for a vacation, and I have been hooked ever since. I have plans to relocate there when I retire in 13 years. I am going out there for vacation again in May. It's absolutely beautiful out there, and there is a lot of stuff to do.
I honestly don't want to offend you, since you grew up here in Florida, but to be blunt- it sucks here. The only thing I like about Florida are the beaches and the weather. Other than that, the traffic, transient people, pay, and the "scumbag factor" SUCKS. HOA'S? They are everywhere in Florida. And I hate them with a passion too. Neighborhood gestapo...old people with nothing else to do with their time. Hate 'em.
Sure, you can get a lot of land in Florida in certain areas for a good price-I will give you that much. But you can't see the stars and there isn't anywhere near the stuff to explore here as much as you could out in Northern AZ. Florida is flat, boring, and unless you have a boat or jet ski (I have both..lol), it's pretty much a lousy state to live in. I have recently taken up mountain biking, and have found a few cool riding spots out here, but for the most part it's very limited and very boring to ride out here.
Unfortunately, I have a good career here, and have been with the job for 14 years, so bailing out now (as much as I would love to) isn't an option. But Florida isn't that great.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Hey Rich,

Yeah, I'll have to agree with you for the most part but you are in Tampa. Like I say, I'm buying in the countryside. In fact, I just secured my home price for 110k/5 acres/1600 (AC'd) square feet, over 2000 sq ft total. So, if anything else, it will be a good investment. And, I can definately see the stars at night where I am, big time. Otherwise I would never have considered this house. I'm very adamant about what I want and won't settle for less.

Florida ain't what it used to be for sure. City governments are in the pockets of developers. It used to be great!! Hunting, fishing, camping, jeeping, hiking, etc, etc. The list was endless. Now, you got the State buying up lands to protect what's left, developers buying up land to prepare for the next big wave, and current land owners fencing up what's left to keep ppl out. Over the last 10 years it has turned seriously sucky.

I'm excited you guys have replied with some alternative places to live other than Phoenix. I'm definately going to check it out.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
quote - "2 years ago I went to Page Az and Lake Powell for a vacation, and I have been hooked ever since."

yes, the Page/Lake Powell area is definitely wide-open spaces....wow, the view from the highway a few miles S of town is BIG!.....dry air, quiet, clear skies.....

BUT....as friend said who lives there, Page has the winters of Utah and the summers of Arizona.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona