Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 PM

13 posts, read 34,206 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been following the Arizona bus crash which killed seven Chinese tourists? It is still unclear if there were seat belts available on the bus for passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM

Here is one blog that has comments about whether there was, or was not, seat belts installed on this tourist bus. http://tcattorney.typepad.com/wrongfuldeath .

Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,357,117 times
That is terrible. I just came back from China two weeks ago and still can't believe I survived some of the bus trips I was on. I've spent plenty of time there before, but on this trip we were on a few buses in the countryside that were death traps. Passing on blind curves in mountain passes was the norm there. I fear some of the Chinese tour operators here skimp on proper licensing and insurance and this accident might bring about some needed changes. A lot of those tour companies only deal with other Chinese folks, so no one bothers to check on compliance stuff, as no one gives it a second thought in China. This one is a pretty hot topic on some of the Chinese BBS's my wife frequents.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,386 times
sounds like the TSB spent the weekend out there at the scene going over every detail then today went to a ADOT yard and went over the bus for any problems. I do know that MVD enforcement does unannounced stops out there coming from Grand Canyon West on the tour busses, so most keep things in shape.
I would rather take the bus than than take my life in my hands with those helicopters.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:57 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
I'll tell you, there has been a huge crackdown on out-of-compliance tour company buses out here between Kingman and Vegas. We see them pulled over frequently. If serious violations are found, the bus is impounded on the spot, and the tour operator has to arrange transportation for their passengers. And yet, the violations continue.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 AM

Default Hoover Dam Tour Bus Accident: No Seat Belts for Passengers

They are now saying that the crash investigation is focused on driver error.

Quote:
Sources say the door on the bus opened as the group was driving north on US-93. When the driver, 48-year-old Han Dong, tried to close the door, he lost control of the bus and crashed. The result left seven people dead...Only the driver had a seatbelt, as the law doesn't require them for passengers. Las Vegas Now | Investigators Focus on Driver in Bus Crash (http://tinyurl.com/agkqtv - broken link)
Although there is no official word from NHTSA, it appears that there were no seat belts on this tour bus. There is some good information on the seat belt issue here "Why No Seat Belts? The Passengers Ejected From The Tourist Bus Had Little Chance at Survival" Arizona Bus Crash Accident: Seat Belts Save Lives In Rollover Bus Accidents (http://tinyurl.com/d5u2e4 - broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 AM
wng

72 posts, read 245,438 times
I gotta agree with Rick. There were a lot of incidents of bus crashes in the Northeast by new discount bus companies. The drivers complained about being overworked, and safety was not a priority. Lot's of complaints of the drivers being reckless. I'm not targeting this criticism just because it was an Asian operator, but it comes as no surprise.
It's a tragedy none the less. My hearts goes out to the families. You go on vacation and could never imagine such an outcome.
There were kids 6-9 on board.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
there were a lot of incidents of bus crashes in the Northeast by new discount bus companies. The drivers complained about being overworked, and safety was not a priority. Lot's of complaints of the drivers being reckless.
People have been trying to get NHTSA to force manufacturers to include seat belts in all tour buses for a long time. it is hard to understand why they are not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: