Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,456,354 times

Advertisements

This is the type of post I wish someone would post under NC! Here's all the stuff you should know that a local knows. About me - I've lived in AZ for 10 years and my husband is a native. I've lived in Glendale, Queen Creek, Phoenix, and Surprise. My husband has also lived in the New River area, and we are very familiar with every single part of the Phoenix metro area. All of this is our opinion after years of living here.

First, realize that a lot of new home builders and realtors will say things about a city to sell you a house. Second, don't be a sucker and build a new home. I cannot even believe how many thousands of dollars people are wasting on this! It's a buyer's marker... take advantage!

For those with school, low-crime, and quality of life concerns, I recommend: Scottsdale, most of Chandler/Gilbert, Paradise Valley, Auwatukee, Arrowhead area of Glendale, Phoenix (only in the Arcadia, Biltomore, and North Central areas), and Anthem in North Phoenix (not in Florence).

If you're looking for all the above, but have a price restriction as well, I recommend: Litchfield Park, Surprise, Goodyear, Buckeye, Arrowhead areas of Glendale are often reasonably priced, Happy Valley, Peoria, Queen Creek (in the Queen Creek School district, near Power Road, and not near Hunt Highway).

I definately do not recommend moving to the following cities because of their poor schools, crime, and poor quality of living: Florence, east of 59th Avenue in Glendale, Casa Grande, Coolidge, El Mirage, Maricopa, Yuma, Tuba City, Apache Junction (ALTHOUGH there are some very, very nice and scenic areas by the mountains).

The places with the most culture: Well, realize that when you move here you're not going to transplant your culture here. I see a lot of people looking for CA or NY culture here, and they'll be disappointed! But, I recommend old town Glendale, the historic districts of Phoenix, and Tempe (it's mostly due to ASU being right there).

Schools: Arizona's schools are not doing well in the big picture, but there are a few good school districts including: Scottsdale schools, Madison in Phoenix, and Gilbert. Most charter schools are for drop-outs, but prep-schools are usually very good. I highly recommend the schools at Great Hearts (www.greathearts.org) (broken link). There are other great charter schools in the Phoenix area that others may be able to suggest. If we're still here when my son goes to school, we will not send him to public school. Realize that this is a problem that is slowly improving.

The weather: It's hot. I think we all know that, but it really is a dry heat. I've been to humid states in the summer and thought it was way more unbearable than our heat. During monsoon season in the summer, there will be sporatic downpours of rain and it will be more humid. The winters aren't usually cold, although there were some days in the highs of the 50s this year. Very strange!

Pros: Our job market is very strong. I've found that it's not hard to find a job in the healthcare, construction, high tech, and education fields. There's no snow to shovel, the fall and spring has very nice weather. Most days are sunny. I find that there is a lot to do, but that you really have to make an effort to get out and do it. If you live in the Phoenix area, you can drive 2 hours to play in the snow in Flagstaff. Lake Pleasant is a man-made lake (pretty big) for boating. We have a top five zoo (Phoenix Zoo), a great Science Center in Phoenix, ghost towns, some fun farms to visit, and water parks.

Cons: It's hot. Very hot. Over 110 degrees hot in the summer. There's not a lot of green. The schools aren't the best, there's a major problem with immigration, a MAJOR problem. A lot of areas just are not safe. Wages in many fields have not gone up with the cost of living. The air is very poluted, and people who have never had respiratory problems have them here.

Traffic: Is getting worse and worse. We have several freeways, but during rushours, you'll be at a dead stop at times. You need to come here and drive in traffic from where you think you will move. Most jobs are in Phoenix, and the growing suberbs don't have enough routes out of the city to ease the traffic.

North Arizona: I haven't lived here, but my impression is that Flagstaff has a lot of culture because it's a college town. It gets very cold, and the cost of living is much higher than Phoenix area. The wages are also lower. There is a very high Native American population. Sedona is very scenic. Whenever I go there, I think that it has a strong culture and community feel. The job market isn't as great and it's not near a big city. Havasu has very clean air. I've only gone to the fun tourist places, but it seems like a nice city. I know they pay teachers more! Prescott seems like a great place to live for all four seasons and a family atmosphere. Their job market wasn't as great, but I know that they're experiencing a lot of growth and that this may have changed.

Seniors: We're a big retirement state and Sun City is the Emerald City for retirees.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:52 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,665,326 times
Truthful and helpful. Thank you.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:04 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,968,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
This is the type of post I wish someone would post under NC! Here's all the stuff you should know that a local knows. About me - I've lived in AZ for 10 years and my husband is a native. I've lived in Glendale, Queen Creek, Phoenix, and Surprise. My husband has also lived in the New River area, and we are very familiar with every single part of the Phoenix metro area. All of this is our opinion after years of living here.

First, realize that a lot of new home builders and realtors will say things about a city to sell you a house. Second, don't be a sucker and build a new home. I cannot even believe how many thousands of dollars people are wasting on this! It's a buyer's marker... take advantage!

For those with school, low-crime, and quality of life concerns, I recommend: Scottsdale, most of Chandler/Gilbert, Paradise Valley, Auwatukee, Arrowhead area of Glendale, Phoenix (only in the Arcadia, Biltomore, and North Central areas), and Anthem in North Phoenix (not in Florence).

If you're looking for all the above, but have a price restriction as well, I recommend: Litchfield Park, Surprise, Goodyear, Buckeye, Arrowhead areas of Glendale are often reasonably priced, Happy Valley, Peoria, Queen Creek (in the Queen Creek School district, near Power Road, and not near Hunt Highway).

I definately do not recommend moving to the following cities because of their poor schools, crime, and poor quality of living: Florence, east of 59th Avenue in Glendale, Casa Grande, Coolidge, El Mirage, Maricopa, Yuma, Tuba City, Apache Junction (ALTHOUGH there are some very, very nice and scenic areas by the mountains).

The places with the most culture: Well, realize that when you move here you're not going to transplant your culture here. I see a lot of people looking for CA or NY culture here, and they'll be disappointed! But, I recommend old town Glendale, the historic districts of Phoenix, and Tempe (it's mostly due to ASU being right there).

Schools: Arizona's schools are not doing well in the big picture, but there are a few good school districts including: Scottsdale schools, Madison in Phoenix, and Gilbert. Most charter schools are for drop-outs, but prep-schools are usually very good. I highly recommend the schools at Great Hearts (www.greathearts.org) (broken link). There are other great charter schools in the Phoenix area that others may be able to suggest. If we're still here when my son goes to school, we will not send him to public school. Realize that this is a problem that is slowly improving.

The weather: It's hot. I think we all know that, but it really is a dry heat. I've been to humid states in the summer and thought it was way more unbearable than our heat. During monsoon season in the summer, there will be sporatic downpours of rain and it will be more humid. The winters aren't usually cold, although there were some days in the highs of the 50s this year. Very strange!

Pros: Our job market is very strong. I've found that it's not hard to find a job in the healthcare, construction, high tech, and education fields. There's no snow to shovel, the fall and spring has very nice weather. Most days are sunny. I find that there is a lot to do, but that you really have to make an effort to get out and do it. If you live in the Phoenix area, you can drive 2 hours to play in the snow in Flagstaff. Lake Pleasant is a man-made lake (pretty big) for boating. We have a top five zoo (Phoenix Zoo), a great Science Center in Phoenix, ghost towns, some fun farms to visit, and water parks.

Cons: It's hot. Very hot. Over 110 degrees hot in the summer. There's not a lot of green. The schools aren't the best, there's a major problem with immigration, a MAJOR problem. A lot of areas just are not safe. Wages in many fields have not gone up with the cost of living. The air is very poluted, and people who have never had respiratory problems have them here.

Traffic: Is getting worse and worse. We have several freeways, but during rushours, you'll be at a dead stop at times. You need to come here and drive in traffic from where you think you will move. Most jobs are in Phoenix, and the growing suberbs don't have enough routes out of the city to ease the traffic.

North Arizona: I haven't lived here, but my impression is that Flagstaff has a lot of culture because it's a college town. It gets very cold, and the cost of living is much higher than Phoenix area. The wages are also lower. There is a very high Native American population. Sedona is very scenic. Whenever I go there, I think that it has a strong culture and community feel. The job market isn't as great and it's not near a big city. Havasu has very clean air. I've only gone to the fun tourist places, but it seems like a nice city. I know they pay teachers more! Prescott seems like a great place to live for all four seasons and a family atmosphere. Their job market wasn't as great, but I know that they're experiencing a lot of growth and that this may have changed.

Seniors: We're a big retirement state and Sun City is the Emerald City for retirees.

jco I have lived in Phoenix twice as long as you and I have lived in more parts of Phoenix than you and I say "NICE JOB".

Very good post!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,641,590 times
Quote:
Is the area in the area code 85027 considered N. central Phoenix? Bet. 19th ave & Union Hills?

Thanks!

Last edited by Marka; 03-19-2007 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: shortened the quotation

Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,920,491 times
Smile 85022 is the end of North Central?

85027 is Phoenix north but not necessarily “central”! I don’t know where to say that central ends when you’re looking toward the north side. Moon Valley at Central and Thunderbird is north-central and maybe just north of that area a little. Maybe the last north central area is 85022. Hope that helps?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:20 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,641,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
85027 is Phoenix north but not necessarily “central”! I don’t know where to say that central ends when you’re looking toward the north side. Moon Valley at Central and Thunderbird is north-central and maybe just north of that area a little. Maybe the last north central area is 85022. Hope that helps?
Yes it does thanks I did pass by that neighborhood when I was out there last looking at 85027.

Is the general North Phoenix neighborhood considered decent?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:44 AM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,456,354 times
North Phoenix is hit and miss, but generally it's not a good area. I think the best area of North Central Phoenix goes as north as Northern Ave. From 10th St to 10th Ave is the best from what I've seen.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,794,924 times
Quote:
All of this is our opinion after years of living here. Second, don't be a sucker and build a new home. I cannot even believe how many thousands of dollars people are wasting on this! It's a buyer's marker... take advantage!
Perhaps, if your priority is simply a place to live. I've never considered it a waste of money, in fact quite the opposite. (and I'm certainly not a sucker in financial matters)I look at a new house as a blank canvas. I get a great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction from designing and installing the landscaping It's also cheaper to upgrade some interior items. (I paid $175 to have KB Homes run an extra 220v line to my patio for a spa. It cost me $800 at the previous house to have it added by a contractor) Buying a resale would mean having to undo whatever the previous owner had done, some of it at great expense. For us, that's what makes a house a home. I think it's a matter of personal preference.
Quote:
Plus Arcadia HS is in the Scottsdale School District - best of both worlds. But it's not fair to exclude Anthem in Florence. It may turn out to be a very nice community burdened with the 'stigma' attached to the town's name. It is about seven miles driving distance away from downtown Florence, which make's a world of difference. Consider this:The Biltmore area you mentioned, go seven miles straight down 24th St. from Camelback and you're at Broadway. A lot of it has been bulldozed, but once upon a time it was one the most dangerous places in Arizona.
Quote:
Power Road and Hunt Highway intersect. There's actually two Queen Creeks. There is the "TOWN of Queen Creek" mostly in Maricopa County, with an actual Town Government, then there is the vast unincorporated area called Queen Creek, more in Pinal Co. Some of those homes are relatively cheap, but the actual Town can be real expensive.
Quote:
It depends on how you define "quality of living". I wouldn't choose to live in most of the cities and towns you mention here either, but for different reasons. I worked in and around Apache Junction for over twenty years and currently live a mile west in Mesa. (I like it out here). AJ has come a long way. It used to be mostly mobile homes, now some places go for over $500k. It's a slow, laid back lifestyle. Very,very little violent crime. The current Chief of Police, Glen Walp, has done a great job of rebuilding what was once an embarrassing excuse for a police department. It's not there yet, but it's becoming a first rate organization.

This is off topic but something to think about concerning Arizona crime stats. Generally when people hear "burglary" they think of a home or business broken into. In Arizona, if someone breaks your car window, then reaches in an steals your purse, etc., it's a burglary. If they reach in through an open car window, it's a theft.
Quote:
The places with the most culture: Well, realize that when you move here you're not going to transplant your culture here.
Thank you! I'm tired of reading posts from people who rant about Phoenix not having any culture or sense of community and how wonderful it is in Chicago or San Francisco, etc. I say, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out". (Where were these complainers in the early 80's when we wanted people to stay away? It's too late now!)
So, why are we wasting tax money trying to be like those cities? Subways are great for NY and Boston, the 'el' is wonderful for Chicago. But the Phoenix light rail, aka PHoenix Area Rapid Transit System? It's costing billions and will only be used daily - according to the projected start numbers - by a little over one tenth of one percent of the population of Phoenix.
Quote:
Schools: Arizona's schools are not doing well in the big picture, If we're still here when my son goes to school, we will not send him to public school. Realize that this is a problem that is slowly improving.
[CENTER]HAY! my kidz n me al wint ta publik skool heer n we dun grate!![/CENTER]

I hate to say this, but sometimes, a lot depends on the students themselves. Of course you want the best for your kids; everyone does. My kids went to "inferior" schools in east Mesa because their mother chose to live there and the judge took her side. In spite of that, both all but aced the AIMS tests, my daughter is an Honors student, she's on her HS Academic Decathlon team, as was my son. He's on his way to the Navy's Nuclear Power School. All in spite of living 0.5714286% of their lives in the meth capital of central AZ. I know they would have done even better in Gilbert schools, but...
Quote:
Cons: It's hot. Very hot. Over 110 degrees hot in the summer. The air is very poluted, and people who have never had respiratory problems have them here.
Funny how things change: When my parents moved us here in 1962, people came here BECAUSE they had respiratory problems!

You say it's "very hot" like that's a bad thing. There is no place on this planet that is TOO hot. I love hot weather. Besides, if it wasn't a little warm here, God wouldn't have invented swimming pools for us. Be thankful!
Quote:
Traffic: Is getting worse and worse. We have several freeways, but during rushours, you'll be at a dead stop at times. ...the growing suberbs don't have enough routes out of the city to ease the traffic.
Traffic is bad, but it can, and will, get so much worse. I often go to the LA area to visit relatives. LA is major league. Phoenix is AAA.

Here's some more AZ history: In the 1960's, plans were on the table for an ELEVATED freeway to run east-west roughly along the McDowell Rd. corridor, all the way to Scottsdale. It was scrapped after the outrage voiced in the Arizona Republic/Phoenix Gazette because, (I love this): More freeways would draw too many people to the area. Building freeways would make us like LA. Oops! They came anyway.
Quote:
North Arizona: I haven't lived here, but my impression is that Flagstaff has a lot of culture because it's a college town. It gets very cold, and the cost of living is much higher than Phoenix area. There is a very high Native American population.
I hope you don't mean that in a negative way. Each tribe has it's own culture, but they have one important thing in common with the rest of us. Some are good, some are not. I worked with an Apache off and on over the years. Great guy, very good cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
jco I have lived in Phoenix twice as long as you and I have lived in more parts of Phoenix than you and I say "NICE JOB".Very good post!
I agree! I enjoyed responding to it, although a moderator will probably cut it because it turned into a novel

Old 03-18-2007, 09:05 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,156,169 times
What a great post!

My bf wants to go to Prescot but I see no jobs in my field, property management listed anywhere.

My children live in Tucson with my xhusband and I know there's tons of jobs there.

I live in FL & work for a wonderful property managment firm.

I'd love to be near my children & thought Phoenix would be good as I'm in the same state but not on top of my x...however, the pollution situation really bothers me.

I don't have any respitory problems & I don't want to get any. But again, the job situation is plentyful...

I'm just sitting & observing at this time...

Old 03-18-2007, 10:26 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,276,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post

I agree! I enjoyed responding to it, although a moderator will probably cut it because it turned into a novel
In fact, a moderator will make it a sticky thread here for everyone to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona