Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 PM

24 posts, read 109,178 times

Advertisements

The company that has offered him the job, was very generous. The economy here in MI is dreadful. People are leaving left and right, so, when he was offered this position, we felt blessed. I just don't know anything about the Yuma area. I am looking at different cities, like Wellton, Sommerton, etc. Possibly even just over the CA border. I know that all cities have their good and bad points (case in point-Detroit), but I just wanted to see, if someone had to live in the Yuma area, what cities would be preferable to others.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:26 PM

8,375 posts, read 13,528,245 times
I wanted to start off thanking -almost- everyone for their great input. A lot of info, a bit confusing at some points but very educational nevertheless!

I particularly enjoyed reading humorous posts of former chimney smoking, donut monster aj661!

I am an IT professional who will be relocating from Orange County to Phoenix area beginning of June 07. I want to get out of California because it is not hot enough for me!

Just kidding, needless to say, cost of living is outrages out here and I am sad to find out that snobby Southern Californians jacked up the housing prices out there as well. I am also shocked to hear some areas have houses that cost almost as much as the ones out here!?

I was going to move back to Dallas, TX but my sisters convinced me to give Phoenix a shot but hearing all the violent crime issues, it might turn out the other way around after I've moved?

Anyway, I know most of you are rightfully resentful of Californians and being a foreigner to begin with, I am sure I will handed the key to the city by the Mayor the day I move...

Any ideas on where to rent an apartment or a condo that will not be too far from where the main IT jobs are located at (guessing downtown area). I will rent for a while to see if I like the area and if the area likes me (should I keep it a secret that I moved from CA? ).

I am in the process of searching for a job but in case I can't find one remotely, I will be relocating there regardless. Another question would be about social/night life, how good is it for a straight male in his 30s?

PS. Heat, especially dry heat is not a huge concern as I lived in over 100 degree temperature Houston where the humidity was over 100% as well! Also air in OC isn't exactly all that clean either but occasional winds and showers do help a bit. I do not have asthma but how bad is the air there? Is it all around Phoenix + suburbs too or just downtown? Is the air pollution caused by increasing number of vehicles or...?

~TL

Old 04-05-2007, 09:00 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,799,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingfan1 View Post
AJ661 and Pettrix,
First of all, I wanted to thank you for your service as police officers. Just like our soldiers, I think that our police need to have "thank you" said to them and to know that they are appreciated.
I have a question. My husband has accepted a new job in Az, and we are going to be relocating there soon from Ann Arbor. I have read these posts, and to be honest, the city that his company is in, Yuma, has not been getting the greatest of praise..lol. Is Yuma that bad?
You are welcome. It was always nice to hear someone say that. Understandably, most people aren't happy to see the police. Sooo, if you'll just make the check out to "CASH", I'll PM you an address to mail it to .

I wish I could help you with info on Yuma, but I've only been through there a few times over the years. You might want to start a new thread asking for info about Yuma. There are several Yuma residents on this forum, past and present who can help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I wanted to start off thanking -almost- everyone for their great input. A lot of info, a bit confusing at some points but very educational nevertheless!

I particularly enjoyed reading humorous posts of former chimney smoking, donut monster aj661!~TL
Yo, TurcoLoco dude! I rarely ate donuts and NEVER ate them on duty!!! Besides that, Winchell's glazed were the best (well, I HEARD they were anyway) and there weren't any where I worked

I have never smoked a chimney in my life!

Old 04-05-2007, 04:08 PM

24 posts, read 109,178 times
AJ661,
you made me laugh regarding the "check"!lol. Thanks for that! I will take your advice, and start a thread re Yuma. Thanks again...

Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 PM

508 posts, read 1,675,947 times
TurcoLoco -

Things in AZ are not like they are in the OC. There are not clusters of IT jobs like Irvine tech center or sorrento valley. Things are more spread out with maybe a few smaller pockets here and there. One place I know of as a former employee is DHL. They have a huge IT center off the 101 and damn I cant remeber but its near a place called westworld. It is their IT center for all operations in the Americas and houses everything IT from tech support to NOC, to software design and development. Dont know what your looking for but it might be a good place to start and they typically pay well for the area. it will also put you in a good area to get to scottsdale/tempe nightlife which is as close as you will find to CA nightlife in AZ.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:18 PM

Thank you very much for the info Brittz. I am not too social and done with the bar-hopping but it is good to know there is a nightlife out there in case I get bored at home.

I got a few connections that I am working on and hopefully I will have something certain by the end of this month so when I come to visit beginning of May, I will know where to look for an apartment. I am hoping my motorcycle will help me with the traffic issue but another biker friend told me lane-sharing was illegal in AZ, is that true aj661 (it's ok, you can finish your donut before answering...lol).

I bet when aj was a cop he was like one of the cops in that movie Super Troopers!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:41 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,799,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am hoping my motorcycle will help me with the traffic issue but another biker friend told me lane-sharing was illegal in AZ, is that true aj661 (it's ok, you can finish your donut before answering...lol).

I bet when aj was a cop he was like one of the cops in that movie Super Troopers!
Are you referring to the opening scene? Absolutely not!..................................................exactly . (I'll PM you one story.)

Motorcycles can ride two abreast in a lane, but it is illegal to split traffic (drive between cars). ARS 28-903. Operation of motorcycle on laned roadway; exceptions. A word of caution: If you ride a crotchrocket, there is universal zero-tolerance for acts of stupidity here - wheelies on the freeway for example. Have no steering with the front wheel in the air = Reckless Driving. There is a very good chance of getting your scooter towed and possibly having your butt booked into jail if you commit a serious traffic offense. (Be careful)

p.s. Cherry Fritters are NOT donuts.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 AM

67 posts, read 207,570 times
Default Thanks jco

Thanks for your insight! I lived in Phoenix for 2 years in the early eighties and was back for a visit this past Dec. There have been some major changes. My wife and I would love to leave winter behind and move back to Arizona. My biggest concern is the school system (3 still in middle and high school). This is very helpful

Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Default Thread has been "Unstuck"

What started as maybe a good idea has become, I fear, a tangled jumble of unrelated posts. There is good info here, but it is getting buried in the length of the thread. Many of the posts would have been better as their own threads as that would aid in searching the forum. So I have "unstuck" it and will let it run it's course.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What started as maybe a good idea has become, I fear, a tangled jumble of unrelated posts. There is good info here, but it is getting buried in the length of the thread. Many of the posts would have been better as their own threads as that would aid in searching the forum. So I have "unstuck" it and will let it run it's course.
I found the initial post quite helpful and would recommend you turn it into a 'closed' sticky and move the follow-up posts to a new thread under a new name such as "If you're considering moving to AZ Read This Follow-ups" so people who might want to read through the additional posts could do so as well.

Just my $0.02's worth.

Sorry for contributing to the bloating of this thread.

~TL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona