Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:05 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallie3680 View Post
Twiggy
Isn't Cape Cod on the east coast along water? If my thinking is correct and it is you will get a few new experiences....good luck to you and hope you enjoy the adventures that await you
Thanks, I'm sure there will be many! lol
My family is from the Cape, so I'm familiar with the weather but it has been a long time since I've faced a winta. lol
My father grew up in Gardner MA, then went to college in Flagg, he said Flagg reminded him of Gardner.
I should be frozen for at least 2 years.

Aw, but right now I would be at the beach sucking down some Lobsta! It's a trade off but I'm ready to experience it. I might run back here screaming, we will see!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,348,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Great, more ammunition! This post (and numerous others of yours) submitted to mod for permaban.
Greatly appreciated! The mods are the ones who will need to see and assess what an Arizona hater/cyber-stalker YOU truly are! Tick-tick-tick...

Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Kinda morbid, but the cemeteries are 500 times nicer in MI. Especially the old ones in the middle of the woods. Nice places for a picnic if you can get past the creepy part of having picnic in a cemetery. They have benches, lots of nice flat spots to put your drinks, bathrooms.....flowers.....Birds....I've never seen any "no picnicking" signs. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. If it catches on more, they might put the signs up.
Oh man.

I can hook ya up with the coolest graveyards EVER.

Folks don't realize how "old" Michigan is. Detroit was a city 100 years before our country was "born". In the U.P., I've seen gravestones dating back to the 1600's. I sheet you not.

I've traveled around New England, seen the 'ole cannonballs stuck in the buildings from the Revolution, Antietam, Gettysburg, et al from the Civil War, and spent some time at Arlington.

Michigan is just as "spectacular" in it's history. The cemetaries prove it.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Oh man.

I can hook ya up with the coolest graveyards EVER.

Folks don't realize how "old" Michigan is. Detroit was a city 100 years before our country was "born". In the U.P., I've seen gravestones dating back to the 1600's. I sheet you not.

I've traveled around New England, seen the 'ole cannonballs stuck in the buildings from the Revolution, Antietam, Gettysburg, et al from the Civil War, and spent some time at Arlington.

Michigan is just as "spectacular" in it's history. The cemetaries prove it.
The Arizona Territory and overall New Mexico territory has a long history as well. Not many know about it though. The Mission San Xavier del Bac in the "Old Pueblo" of Tucson was founded by Father Kino as a Spanish Mission in 1699 but the site was surveyed in 1692. Santa Fe was the oldest capital city west of the Mississippi and a Pueblo just north of Santa Fe was established for the Kingdom of Spain in 1598. There are old cemeteries all over Arizona and New Mexico that date back to the 1590's and 1600's from the early Spanish Empire conquests.

Let's not forget the Hohokam civilization that established itself on in the Salt River Valley where Phoenix sits from approximately 1150 to sometime between 1350 and 1450. The civilization vanished but they left complex systems of canals and buildings that now sit as a museum in east Phoenix known as the Pueblo Grande Museum. Even to this day we still use some of the ancient canals that this advanced ancient civilization built to support their thriving community. Their villages and cities were scattered throughout the Gila And Salt River Valleys.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
Oh yeah.

Old Mesilla in New Mexico has some cool history as well.

Some neat cemetaries out that way.....

Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 PM

153 posts, read 541,324 times
Tucson vs. Michigan? Hard to compare on so many levels. If you want to come to the west, you could do a LOT WORSE than Tucson for cost of living versus jobs and things to do, etc. The culture shock of moving from the Upper Midwest to a western boom town is always an issue. You really won't find too many places in AZ, CA, NV, OR etc. where "community" is the same as it is in the midwest, but Tucson is one of the easier and nicer choices out there.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:21 PM

153 posts, read 541,324 times
History? Go look at some Anasazi Ruins, like:

Anasazi Ruins of the Southewest (http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~dvess/ids/amtours/anawciv.htm - broken link)

and there are even some right off the highway on the way to Flagstaff. Now THATS history!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,800 times
Smile Happy to Have Made the 2,000 Mile Road Trip

My husband and I recently moved from Michigan to Arizona. We bought a new house that will be finished in another month and couldn't be more excited. So yes, it's been friggen' hot outside, but I'd much rather deal with a couple of really hot months than the sub zero temps in Michigan. The only thing that I will really miss about not having the snow is going snowboarding. I heard the Snow Bowl is a good weekend trip from Phoenix though.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:09 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
Yeah, when it's open. I had trouble going last year because the weekends I got off, they were closed due to lack of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona