Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
However, anywhere else, and you'll see the proverbial tumbleweeds as your being gay will not be met with any excitement or acceptance.
Why should people act excited when they meet a homosexual ? Do you act excited when around heterosexual people ?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
It is where the schools teach it and then force you to leave your kids to be subverted in the name of diversity and tolerence, where hardcore homosexual activists push to ban every bit of free speech that is not "politically correct" according to thier definition, where marriage is taken and twisted so much it is no longer recognizable, where churches are in danger of losing thier rights to preach against what they consider sin because the gay pride dudes consider it "Hate Speech"....where parades are put on and festivals are held that are so full of filth and perversity that you would not want to attend much less take your children to one ...(dont believe me...just do a little internet research....if you can stomach the photos)

I am willing to let folks live thier lives however they choose....but I hope that at least my part of Az never becomes that "gay friendly".
Quote:
Lot of difference between homosexuality and race....a person is born black or Hispanic, but sexual orientation is a behavior......and you can declare it until the cows come home, but I have yet to see one piece of definitive proof showing that a person is "born gay".....if I were black or Hispanic (which my wife and daughters are) I think I would be sorely offended whenever my situation and travails were compared to that of the gays.

I personally know several gay people very well....and in EVERY case they were preyed upon by an older homosexual when they were between 12 and 17......I could tell you who and where in each situation (if I were so inclined...but I am not)......so as far as I can see gays are made or make a choice.....but they are not born that way.

I do not believe in mistreating anybody or taking away any human right....but the drive by the homosexual community for special civil rights is ridiculous. IMHO
The first post above set the tone for my initial foray into this thread as well as those by another individual. I see these views as bigotry. I'm sorry your experience with gay people has led you to certain conclusions. I've interacted with many more and, believe me, they are just as messed up as heterosexuals. Plenty of abusive situations out there, plenty of gay people who grew up without any dilemma at all. Please don't paint everyone with the same brush stroke.

As far as gay people not being born gay, you will never know the answer to that question. Why? Because you are not gay. The only source for the answer is gay people. Ask them. Their answer will be that they were born that way. We choose who we have sex with but we don't choose who we are attracted to. Emphasis on "attraction" because sexuality is only a small portion of that concept. If logic isn't enough proof for you, then I can't help you.

Special rights is a catchphrase for bigots who cannot see the inequality that current exists. As a gay individual myself, I could care less about gay marriage for the most part, but I do want that option and the rights afforded it by our society should that blissful event come my way.

Gay friendly places need not be bastions of semi-nude jerks with makeup parading in front of innocent six-year olds. Your references to depravity above are hardly restricted to the gay community. But then who are any of us to judge another's sexuality? It's none of our business. With respect to the parades you allude to, I hate those parades myself! I even leave town so I don't have to put up with the embarrassment they cause.

"Gay friendly" would be a place where two gay people can live in a house and not be afraid that it will be burned down or vandalized, where they can work without fear of being fired, and they can lead lives just like the rest of society. Nothing "special" about that. I'm sorry that this is so scary that you don't want it in your city.

All of this has been argued to death on other threads.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 06-18-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Why should people act excited when they meet a homosexual ? Do you act excited when around heterosexual people ?
How sad that you took my comment literally. If you were gay or some other minority that isn't obvious at a glance, you might understand the frustration when you're new to an area and everyone treats you nicely UNTIL they know you're gay. Then you find out how two-faced people can be, how rude and insensitive they can be, how much of a bigot they can be. In rural Arizona, as in most of the nation itself, a gay person is not welcomed into the community. I can tell from your posts here you wouldn't welcome them at all. Even at 500,000+ inhabitants you intimated in an earlier post that you were happy that Tucson doesn't offer its gay citizens much. I don't know of too many people that would bother to celebrate such a thing...at least openly like you did.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Another thing....why is it that folks cant express thier opinions concerning gays without being called bigots?
Nothing wrong with expressing opinions. But when those opinions are not based on facts or when the person giving said opinion refuses to consider alternatives despite the wealth of contradictory information at their disposal, then they get labeled a bigot. They should know better, but they refuse. It's like a conscious form of ignorance. Now THAT's something people choose.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 PM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Nothing wrong with expressing opinions. But when those opinions are not based on facts or when the person giving said opinion refuses to consider alternatives despite the wealth of contradictory information at their disposal, then they get labeled a bigot. They should know better, but they refuse. It's like a conscious form of ignorance. Now THAT's something people choose.

Facts!!!!!!!!!??????????

Every proof that the gays have thrown out for thier being born gay is so subjective it stinks!!!!!!!

"'cuz I know I was born that way..." Applegate "knew" there was a "Mother Ship" behind the Hale Bopp comet, and all it got him was a purple shroud....

Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,632 times
Quote:
In rural Arizona, as in most of the nation itself, a gay person is not welcomed into the community. I can tell from your posts here you wouldn't welcome them at all.
If a I find out that a gay couple moved into my neighborhood I would just ignore them and continue on with my life. I am not going to knock on their door, give them a batch of cookies, and say welcome to the neighborhood. Why is that the kind of treatment that you want when moving into a neighborhood where there are little to no gays ?

Old 06-19-2009, 02:42 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Facts!!!!!!!!!??????????

Every proof that the gays have thrown out for thier being born gay is so subjective it stinks!!!!!!!

"'cuz I know I was born that way..." Applegate "knew" there was a "Mother Ship" behind the Hale Bopp comet, and all it got him was a purple shroud....
I have read and studied cases from Harvard University and those studying biology that do in fact state that being gay is influence through biological and natural factor before birth.

Quote:
A new study shows that gay men respond differently from straight men when exposed to a suspected sexual stimulus found in male sweat.

When homosexual men smelled the odor of male sweat—more specifically, a chemical in the male hormone testosterone—their brains responded similarly to those of women.

The findings suggest that brain activity and sexual orientation are linked. It also supports an opinion held by most scientists, that people are born—not bred—gay.

"This is one more line of evidence that there's a biological substring for sexual orientation," said Dean Hamer, a geneticist at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.[/b]

Hamer is the author of The Science of Desire: The Gay Gene and the Biology of Behavior. He was not involved in the research, which was conducted by scientists at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden.

The study was published today in the research journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Reproductive Behavior

The scientists exposed heterosexual men and women and homosexual men to chemicals found in male and female sex hormones. One chemical is a testosterone derivative produced in men's sweat. The other chemical is an estrogen-like compound in women's urine.

These chemicals have long been suspected of being pheromones, molecules emitted by one individual that evoke some behavior in another of the same species. Pheromones trigger basic responses, such as sexual attraction, in many animals.

But scientists have long debated if humans respond to pheromones. The new study suggests that pheromones indeed play a part in making humans sexually attractive to one another.

In a previous study a few years ago, the Swedish researchers showed that the brain's hypothalamus region, which is involved in sexual behavior, becomes activated when men smell EST (the estrogen derivative) and women smell AND (the testosterone compound), but not vice versa.

For their new study, the scientists added a sexual-orientation element, which revealed a difference in the brain activity of gay and straight men.
Read the entire article here: "Sexy" Smells Different for Gay, Straight Men, Study Says

Symmetry Of Homosexual Brain Resembles That Of Opposite Sex, Swedish Study Finds

What the Gay Brain Looks Like - TIME

Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I have read and studied cases from Harvard University and those studying biology that do in fact state that being gay is influence through biological and natural factor before birth.

Read the entire article here: "Sexy" Smells Different for Gay, Straight Men, Study Says

Symmetry Of Homosexual Brain Resembles That Of Opposite Sex, Swedish Study Finds

Quote:
The findings suggest that brain activity and sexual orientation are linked. It also supports an opinion held by most scientists, that people are born—not bred—gay.

"Supports", "Suggest" "Opinion"....again purely speculative....not an ounce of proof.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post

Yeah, the whole "They made a choice to be Gay" argument is BS - if for no other reason that the fact that if Gay people made a choice to be Gay then that implies that Straight people made a choice to be Straight - and I know I certainly didn't make a choice to be Straight, I just am - and I'm pretty darned sure it's the same for other Straight folks out there.

Being attracted to someone is not a conscious choice - it just happens. It's a biological response - not a logical one - and it has a whole range of instantaneous physical reactions - your heartrate speeds up, your pupils dialate, hormones are released, etc, etc, etc. For the most part these are automatic responses - not things you have any conscious control over, they JUST HAPPEN. It's part of the animal in us - it's among our most basic, primitive instincts. In a heterosexual person these things happen when you encounter an attractive member of the opposite sex. In a homosexual person they happen when you encounter an attractive member of the same sex. People don't make a choice to be attracted to someone - they just ARE. That's what is commonly called "chemisty" or "the spark" or any of hundred other names in other languages all around the world - they are all names for that same basic animal attraction that EVERYONE is subject to.

Now certainly people can and do choose whether or not to act on those attractions - but the attractions themselves people have no control over - it's an animal function, a basic part of that person's anatomy.

So, for those of you out there who think being Gay is a choice - did you REALLY make a choice to be heterosexual? Did you weigh the pros and cons and decide to yourself "Gee, after thinking it over I think I'm going to choose to be Straight" - because if you DIDN'T then you have NO WAY of knowing that Gay people made a conscous choice either (and note that I'm NOT speaking here of the decision to be OPENLY Gay (which is clearly a conscious choice) - but whether one is openly Gay or not, the attraction to a member of the same sex will mark someone as Gay even if they keep that a secret and never act on it - Biologically, they are Gay).

People are what they are.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 06-19-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
If a I find out that a gay couple moved into my neighborhood I would just ignore them and continue on with my life. I am not going to knock on their door, give them a batch of cookies, and say welcome to the neighborhood. Why is that the kind of treatment that you want when moving into a neighborhood where there are little to no gays ?
I never said anything about such friendly tactics nor would I expect them, but it would be thrilling to live where people are that nice. Look at your response: "I would just ignore them". Imagine moving into a community where everyone ignored you. There's a big difference between the batch-of-cookies approach and being ignored and shunned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona