Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,223 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking relocate. We currently live in Michigan and plan on moving in the fall when our youngest leaves for college.

I've read many of the threads about Kingman, but *edited because I found the search function*. And, the con posts seem to be in the majority. We have spent the last 6 months looking at as many low-humidity places as we can find, and Kingman seems to fit our needs. (As close as you can tell from internet searches anyway.)

We don't mind isolation, lack of "culture" doesn't concern us, and shopping is not a major consideration for either of us. I realize it's hot (although having lived in Michigan all my life I probably can not even imagine what "hot" is in the desert xD), the real questions I have concern jobs, cost of living, and what it's really like.

We do plan on coming out there to visit before we make a concrete decision, but unfortunately -- our situation restricts us to only one trip to visit to any location before making our decision.

What I'm looking for is someone who lives there and has a few moments to discuss these and any other pertinent issues with me. Including things like why do some realty listings have electric and water being available as a plus/bonus? Don't all homes have electric and running water?

Like I said, I've lived in Michigan all my life, water has never been a problem here

Last edited by AmarilloSky; 06-30-2009 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Edited because I figured out how to use the search function :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Hint: Look up the address of the properties for sale that do or don't have electricity and/or water, and use a map to see where they're located with respect to the city of Kingman. All properties in the city limits do have those utilities. That should tell all.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hint: Look up the address of the properties for sale that do or don't have electricity and/or water, and use a map to see where they're located with respect to the city of Kingman. All properties in the city limits do have those utilities. That should tell all.
As you stated.

Needless to say: things are quite a bit different within the city limits of Kingman.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,474 times
Boy there sure are alot of folk from Michigan moving or has moved to Arizona. I know of 10 different people in Buckeye alone.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 PM

34 posts, read 91,018 times
Hey AmarilloSky. I moved to Kingman 3 years ago from upstate NY so maybe I can help.
If you do not have kids in K-12, then the biggest problem with Kingman is not an issue. We pulled our son after a year and now homeschool him. NATIVES CALM DOWN - the reality is that AZ schools just don't compare - that's a fact easily researched and confirmed anywhere. Actually, we love homeschooling - its the best decision we ever made.
The job market is pretty tight right now. The major employers are the county, the cities and the school systems which are all dealing with huge state budget problems. If you're in healthcare, with experience, you'd most likely be snatched up by one of the hospitals or other facilities. In your in mental health profession, even better. If you don't mind a commute, there's retail and service industry opportunities in Bullhead or Havasu. A strong work ethic, experience and post-secondary education will be a big bonus.
Cost of living. Well, housing is pretty affordable right now. Gas, food, and utilities are a little higher than a more populated area where there is competition and large supplies but it's not tragic. Property taxes are NONEXISTANT - but remember, you get what you pay for.
That's a funny question about the water and electricty. A lot of folks on the outskirts of town choose to be "off the grid" because, well, the power lines just don't go too far off the main roads here. Also, you can't just plop a well down where ever you'd like - its the desert. So some people choose to "water-haul" - which means they pick up water in a specialized trailer or they have it delivered by a water company to a storage tank. Again, these are areas outside of Kingman proper. You may also come across the phrase "on paved road". Again, if you are looking outside of the city limits, these things would be important. And the only thing I have to contribute about the weather I heard from a master gardener I took a class with and it seems to hold true - Kingman has two seasons -Summer and Winter. It's either hot (not Phoenix, Havasu or Bullhead hot) or it's cold (not Michigan cold) but there is little in between. What's most important to remember is that the sun shines almost every single day of the year, rain will never ruin your plans, the air is clean, the stars are bright and the sunsets are most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaprix View Post
Hey AmarilloSky. I moved to Kingman 3 years ago from upstate NY so maybe I can help.
If you do not have kids in K-12, then the biggest problem with Kingman is not an issue. We pulled our son after a year and now homeschool him. NATIVES CALM DOWN - the reality is that AZ schools just don't compare - that's a fact easily researched and confirmed anywhere. Actually, we love homeschooling - its the best decision we ever made.
The job market is pretty tight right now. The major employers are the county, the cities and the school systems which are all dealing with huge state budget problems. If you're in healthcare, with experience, you'd most likely be snatched up by one of the hospitals or other facilities. In your in mental health profession, even better. If you don't mind a commute, there's retail and service industry opportunities in Bullhead or Havasu. A strong work ethic, experience and post-secondary education will be a big bonus.
Cost of living. Well, housing is pretty affordable right now. Gas, food, and utilities are a little higher than a more populated area where there is competition and large supplies but it's not tragic. Property taxes are NONEXISTANT - but remember, you get what you pay for.
That's a funny question about the water and electricty. A lot of folks on the outskirts of town choose to be "off the grid" because, well, the power lines just don't go too far off the main roads here. Also, you can't just plop a well down where ever you'd like - its the desert. So some people choose to "water-haul" - which means they pick up water in a specialized trailer or they have it delivered by a water company to a storage tank. Again, these are areas outside of Kingman proper. You may also come across the phrase "on paved road". Again, if you are looking outside of the city limits, these things would be important. And the only thing I have to contribute about the weather I heard from a master gardener I took a class with and it seems to hold true - Kingman has two seasons -Summer and Winter. It's either hot (not Phoenix, Havasu or Bullhead hot) or it's cold (not Michigan cold) but there is little in between. What's most important to remember is that the sun shines almost every single day of the year, rain will never ruin your plans, the air is clean, the stars are bright and the sunsets are most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
And; Kingman winters, even with the wind are nothing like Wash DC winters. For that matter; K's summers are not bad if one is in the shade.

Trust me: I would know----------I have lived in both places. And, I have also lived in both BHC as well as LHC---------burn baby burn.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 AM

34 posts, read 91,018 times
Oh, and as cliche as it is, it IS a dry heat and no matter how hot it is, it's better than than having sweat pour off you any day. The last time we visited NY in the summer, my husband was showering 3 times a day. YUCK! Oh, and there are alot less flying, biting bugs here. Wait - that's Minnesota with giant mosquitos not Michigan

Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaprix View Post
Calm down yourself. The current high school situation is lousy, that's true. But I disagree with your contention that the whole K-12 is a problem. There are six or seven elementary schools in town, at least two of which are quite good. Assuming you pick the right school district, and you stay involved, your elementary school-aged kids can get a good education here.

There is presently only one high school in town and it's way over-crowded. That leads to numerous problems. However, that should improve greatly starting next year when the new high school which is currently under construction opens. I have heard good things about the AZ on-line school program. If our kids were high-school aged, we'd probably use it as well today. Although, hopefully that won't be necessary when the new school opens.

BTW, we moved here three years ago ourselves from Rockland County, NY. Before that, we lived in Silicon Valley for 20 years. So it's not like we're country bumpkins. We know a thing or two about education ourselves.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:57 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
If you have the time, just drive around all of Arizona. There are some real good and not so good communities. Try Wickenburg. Eager. Springerville. Prescott. The list is endless.

Don't all homes have water and electricity? As stated above, no. If you want to live off the grid, then many parts of Arizona will fit your bill.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:10 AM

11 posts, read 29,922 times
My wife and I are also considering relocating to Kingman. We both spent many years living in and around the desert cities of southern california, now live in north texas. the humidity here is brutal to our dry-air-acclimated bodies. We don't know much about Kingman though so I thought by reading some of these posts we'd learn a little more. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's opinion, especially the locals who seem to really like their town. We're considering opening up a barbeque restaraunt as well as a recycling business. We're both eco-conscious and love the outdoors. (I know, eco-conscious and bbq...oh well we have ideas to balance the two). Our daughter is college-bound but hasn't made her mind up where to go.
Any relocation tips, statistics, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona