Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:37 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,427,345 times

Advertisements

Ahh I see, I did not mind the overcast, and the fact that it was cold until June. I guess living there for a few years versus your whole life makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 AM

314 posts, read 925,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I guess living there for a few years versus your whole life makes a difference.
Yep, it makes a huge difference. My wife used to ask me (when we lived out there) "Why do you let the weather bother you"? I thought WTF! How could it NOT bother you? It all depends on what you're used to I guess.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,358,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Did the move to AZ and hated it. There is just too much sun in AZ. I find it annoying like some people find Michigan winters depressing. Plus, I've never heard of too much gray skies giving you skin cancer.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,279,468 times
I posted this same question some time back. I found it strange too as I view them as polar opposites. I personally think the sun in winter is blinding in Michigan. I guess I'm fortunate that the overcast does not get me down that much. Sure at times it gets old but I think spring, summer and fall make up for it. I love the snow, and don't mind the cold. But hate how long winter lasts. If it were 2 months shorter Michigan would be perfect. One other thing that I would have a hard time with is the lack of rain. Sure on the wrong days it sucks if it ruins plans. But I like a good rain here and there. Almost as much an overnight snowstorm. I love walking in the snow during a really heavy snowfall. Everything is so peaceful, if you stop and listen hard enough it's like you can hear the snow falling.

Anyway sorry if I got off topic. The family and I tossed around an Arizona move for awhile. I personally love Michigan. Arizona has a lot to offer but I'm just not sure if it's the right fit for me. Seems like it would be hard to adjust after 42 years here. I kind of agree with some when they say the sun get's to be too much, all the time....forever. LOL

Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 AM

314 posts, read 925,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I posted this same question some time back. I found it strange too as I view them as polar opposites. I personally think the sun in winter is blinding in Michigan. I guess I'm fortunate that the overcast does not get me down that much. Sure at times it gets old but I think spring, summer and fall make up for it.
The fall is spectacular in Michigan, no question! I'd love to spend every September and October there.
I remember spring always seemed very wet and rainy, the summers were muggy with LOTS of bugs, and winter was long and bitter cold.
I like winters here in Flagstaff. It'll snow one day, and the next day it's sunny and most of the snow melts off.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,563,020 times
The opinion of many Michiganders towards Arizona is often the result of ignorance and disgust for the cold weather and lack of jobs. Trust me, I moved here from MI and the talk is the same there. They say the same thing about Florida too. Whenever I go back to C my family in East Lansing, many people tell me things like "I wish I was you. I should consider going there. You should go there and not come back. Your family should move there too. Arizona is the best (even though they've never been here). And I'll bet they have lots of good jobs there." I Laugh every time I here that stuff and tell em the truth from my perspective. Often they dont believe me. Nonetheless, if I found a job there I would probably move back. The people are nicer--no CA influence. GREEN GRASS. Four seasons. WATER. Excellent cost of living. And the jobs will eventually return. However, I cant stand the cold. But you cant have everything and have to take the good with the bad--shoveling snow. But the extreme heat here is just as bad, so you are simply trading one extreme for another. The funny thing is that many Michiganders who move here to get a "better life" often move back after a few years when they realize the truth that AZ isnt what they thought it was. You can have a great life, no matter where you live, and dont have to move to a sunny climate to do so.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn_raptor View Post
Jobs are very hard to come by here in Michigan.
Seems like jobs around here are considered good when they pay anything over 10$/hr.....and thats pretty sad!
Congrats, my friend. You just described Arizona.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
jobs in Michigan are declining at an incredible rate and have been the last 2-3 years. Our unemployment rate was 16% this summer........but thats not counting the people who have already lost their benefits. There are alot of places closing here......and in the towns that these places are closing there certainly isnt a whole lot of other opportunities for people looking for decent paying jobs
What you dont know is that jobs in Arizona are declining at an incredible rate. This recession is exploiting Arizona's stubborn reliance on the service industry. Most jobs in AZ pay only like $10 an hr at most. Walmart is the state's largest employer by far, so that should tell you something. Arizona has lost the most jobs per-capita in this recession. Also, AZ has almost no industry to speak of and is a state of consumption industries versus production ones, compared to MI. Trust me, Arizona has mucho big problems, just like MI, and many many people are hurting here as well.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
jobs in Michigan are declining at an incredible rate and have been the last 2-3 years. Our unemployment rate was 16% this summer........but thats not counting the people who have already lost their benefits. There are alot of places closing here......and in the towns that these places are closing there certainly isnt a whole lot of other opportunities for people looking for decent paying jobs
What you dont know is that jobs in Arizona are declining at an incredible rate. This recession is exploiting Arizona's stubborn reliance on the service industry. Most jobs in AZ pay only like $10 an hr at most. Walmart is the state's largest employer by far, so that should tell you something. Arizona has lost the most jobs per-capita in this recession. Also, AZ has almost no industry to speak of and is a state of consumption industries versus production ones, compared to MI. Trust me, Arizona has mucho big problems, just like MI, and many many people are hurting here as well.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:02 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,295 times
The Michigan-Arizona connection is just a subset of the central continent-Arizona connection that includes thousands of people from Canada. Yes, the main reason is the weather and second is the belief that jobs in Arizona are plentiful.

I went to UM-Ann Arbor. I noticed how much more cloudy it was there than in my home town area of Chicago. Yes, it's a beautiful state with water in all directions. Lake Superior feels like the ocean. I spent summers in the UP and drove around the farmland before sunset spotting deer in the fields. But it's too cold for comfort, too cloudy, and I doubt very much any of the jobs will return. That's also true for many of the places in the 'rust' belt. Arizona's current problems will not help those who move here from Michigan...or anywhere else for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona