Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmad1 View Post
Im looking to buy about 20 acres or more and want to know where I can have some mountain views but not 3 foot of snow and not to hot. Is this possible in AZ?
Unfortunately, Jmad . . . "perfect weather" is tough to find.

Arizona has great weather, however, when the Summers are mild the Winters tend to be boogers and vice versa. I chose Tucson because we only have a couple booger months (usually between the 4th of July and Labor Day) and I bet 20 acres not too far from town may be possible.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:51 AM

27,364 posts, read 27,414,874 times
In my 12 years of living there, you get one extreme or the other. You can have triple or 90-above temps all the way form April to Nov. or you can get the actual 4 seasons in the higher elevations, but have the snow to contend with during those winter months. Not sure about the Prescott area but as one poster mentioned it might work out there. I think though, its a bit pricey up there?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:18 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,072,580 times
Quote:
want to know where I can have some mountain views but not 3 foot of snow and not to hot.

wouldn't we all....

the only place where you can have a mild year-round climate is near an ocean in the lower latitudes (10-35 degrees or so)....the ocean temps moderate the air temps in those areas....San Diego, Florida, Hawaii, LA, not to mention all the other world spots....

if it has to be Arizona, you'll have to be a little flexible, as Bummer suggests....a trade-off will be needed....but if you divide the state into thirds, with the lines drawn NW to SE diagonally, the middle section may have the best chance of what you want, approximately....Payson, Prescott, the Verde Valley (Cottonwood area), Kingman, Safford (the Gila Valley), Sierra Vista are all moderate climate places, will be warm in summer, but cool at night

Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 8,557 times
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times
Quote:
Im looking to buy about 20 acres or more and want to know where I can have some mountain views but not 3 foot of snow and not to hot. Is this possible in AZ?
Yup - SE Arizona.
These are the 5 year averages from near our land in the J-6 area just off I-10 40 minutes SE of Tucson (10 mintues west of Benson). We sit at 4,200 feet with mountain views to the South, West and North. You might look in that general area or around Sierra Vista (which has an almost identical climate). The key thing to remember is that elevation is THE key to climate in Arizona. The higher the elevation the cooler the climate. For us, Northern and Central Arizona are too high in elevation (too cold in the winter), Southwest Arizona is too low (too hot in the summer) - but parts of Southeast Arizona are just right. Remember, for every 1,000 feet in elevation gain, the temps will drop 3 to 4 degrees (on average).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Best place in AZ for land with good temps.-landtemp.jpg  

Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times
PS to jmad1 -

You might also consider the area around Willcox. It's a bit warmer in the summer and a bit cooler at night in the winter (though still pretty mild overall). It looks like you can get some pretty good-sized parcels of land in the area for pretty good prices. I did a quick search and found some parcels of "39 Acres in the Butterfield Ranches - Just off Hwy 186 near Dos Cabezas" for $30,000 or so. All such parcels are likely to need a well and may or may not have power to the lot line, but I've driven through that area (between Willcox and Douglas) and it's VERY pretty. Some areas have views of nearby mountains and some have more distant views but much of the area relatively green (for Southern Arizona). You would be a ways away from any large city (and the goods of services such a city provides) but it MAY suit you.

Ken

PS2 - Here's a beautiful picture I found of some land near Sunsites (between Willcox and Douglas). Just gorgeous!
Attached Thumbnails
Best place in AZ for land with good temps.-land-near-elfrida-arizona.jpg  

Last edited by LordBalfor; 10-09-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 AM

239 posts, read 642,603 times
There is some nice cheap land in Rio Rico. No A/C needed; swamp works fine. Great Highway access. Check out the tax sale in February. Legal fees will cost you 2250 to foreclose, which you can do after paying taxes for three years. I bought 3.5 acres this way. Sold it in 2 hours on craigslist. PM me if you would like the attorney's name, who specializes in this. It would be very difficult to do without a lawyer.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 8,557 times
Thanks for the reply's. Yeah are family has a place Tuscon. Do you ever eat at EeGes out there?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 PM

30 posts, read 100,749 times
SHHHHHHHH............Lordbalfor, quit telling people about our secret spot. ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona