Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:33 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lets just say that 99% of you would rather deal with a lifetime of mosquito bites than one significant rattler bite. Trust me on that.

Although a little feeble, valid point, Steve-o.

However, in the vast majority of cases, snakes and spiders will do whatever possible to avoid an attack on humans (read: they're as afraid of us as we are afraid of them) while the exact opposite applies to mosquitos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
It's the 'Jackalope' you need to beware of. http://blogulate.com/wp-content/uplo...-jackalope.jpg
If a herd of them start to surround you, lie down on the ground in a prone position and make hissing noises like a zonia-snake, they will then know you're from back east and laugh their way into the hills.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:32 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It's the 'Jackalope' you need to beware of. http://blogulate.com/wp-content/uplo...-jackalope.jpg
If a herd of them start to surround you, lie down on the ground in a prone position and make hissing noises like a zonia-snake, they will then know you're from back east and laugh their way into the hills.
Are those damn JACKALOPES still running wild?

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 12-24-2009, 10:40 AM

210 posts, read 744,791 times
When i went to School in Arizona (UTI) we had signs on our apartment dorm rooms that said,"We are not responsible for scorpion or snake bites"

Old 12-26-2009, 03:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
When i went to School in Arizona (UTI) we had signs on our apartment dorm rooms that said,"We are not responsible for scorpion or snake bites"
And they were serious.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
I have been in Phoenix all my life(30+ years). I've seen scorpians in town like a handful of times. There's not really anything else except Black Widow spiders and there easy to avoid. Just dont stick your hand in an old box in the garage without looking first. People from back east that I've met that've moved here have told me that there are less bugs than the woodlands back east.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Thousands? Not here.

There are 17 different species or subspecies of the rattlesnakes in Arizona. There were 202 rattlesnake bites reported to the poison control center at the University of Arizona which serves all of Arizona, except Maricopa County during 2006. However, 50 to 70% of all snake bites reported were provoked by the person who was bitten. From 2002 to 2007, Arizona had about one snakebite fatality a year. For comparison, lightning killed 17 people in Arizona from 1990 to 2003, so you are in slightly more danger dying from lightning than from snake bite.

source: Walking Arizona
Im well aware of those facts, thanks.

As AZ's population continues to grow into rattler habitat, expect more and more bites. And in the USA, there are thousands of rattler bites. We're lucky to have anti-venin here, as some snake venom is no joke. Over 300,000 people die worldwide from venomous snake bites. And like I stated earlier, give me a quintillion mosquito bites over one single rattler bite.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
I would have sued them if I got stung. If they got pissy about the lawsuit, I would have stated that they werent responsible for bites, but they were for STINGS!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,129 times
Not too common in my area. I'll spot a snake in my backyard every four or five months and they'll usually slither away from loud noises such as footsteps. Seriously.

I've only encountered a scorpion twice in my home. I remember once when I was five, I was sitting on the carpet, watching Spongebob. I looked down and noticed the carpet looked a little funny. I thought maybe it was a clump of misplaced carpet fibers, being half-blind and all. I think I stared at it for awhile before I realized it was a scorpion. It was just there minding its own business, watching Spongebob with me. Of course, I freaked out and my dad killed it...

Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 AM

227 posts, read 535,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mouse View Post
Not too common in my area. I'll spot a snake in my backyard every four or five months and they'll usually slither away from loud noises such as footsteps. Seriously.

I've only encountered a scorpion twice in my home. I remember once when I was five, I was sitting on the carpet, watching Spongebob. I looked down and noticed the carpet looked a little funny. I thought maybe it was a clump of misplaced carpet fibers, being half-blind and all. I think I stared at it for awhile before I realized it was a scorpion. It was just there minding its own business, watching Spongebob with me. Of course, I freaked out and my dad killed it...
Stung once by a scorpion once when I was a kid. Was'nt paying attention to what I put my hands under when lifting a box in the garage. That cured me from that time onwards to always look and be cautious. The only thing I'd be worried about now is running across a killer bee colony and having nowhere to run or hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona