Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:26 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times

Advertisements

I live in Fountain Hills and I back to a brush. We see more King Snakes than Rattlers. Had two Rattlers last summer, have yet to see any this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 05:45 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
King Snakes would be welcomed on my property as they would keep the Rattlers out.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
I have lived in Green Valley for 21 years and yes I have seen Diamond Backs and Bull snakes. But I have only seen about ten! Three that I called the fire dept to remove and the rest squashed on the roads.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I have lived in Green Valley for 21 years and yes I have seen Diamond Backs and Bull snakes. But I have only seen about ten! Three that I called the fire dept to remove and the rest squashed on the roads.
Where about is Green Valley? Is it a PHX satellite?

Ill also ask everyone again, how is South Mountain park? Is the neighborhood safe? Noone can seem to give me an answer. LOL

Old 05-25-2007, 02:28 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Does Freeze+P work on snakes???

Old 05-25-2007, 02:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Green Valley is south of Tucson - a Tucson burb - more like an exurb. S. Mountain park is safe but it is a mountain park and pretty inaccessible except on hiking or horse trails. There are entrances between homes in the Ahwatukee area that can get you into the park area away from trails - and no fee. But, east of town is wide open country where you can hunt snakes to your hearts content. Just take the Superstition (US60) to Apache Trail (SR87?) and go north past Canyon Lake. Awesome scenery. If you can catch Fish Creek Hill area after a monsoon you will never forget it - 500 foot waterfalls all around. You can usually scare up snakes around a creek - a gorgeous riparian habitat just past Tortilla Flat.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Green Valley is south of Tucson - a Tucson burb - more like an exurb. S. Mountain park is safe but it is a mountain park and pretty inaccessible except on hiking or horse trails. There are entrances between homes in the Ahwatukee area that can get you into the park area away from trails - and no fee. But, east of town is wide open country where you can hunt snakes to your hearts content. Just take the Superstition (US60) to Apache Trail (SR87?) and go north past Canyon Lake. Awesome scenery. If you can catch Fish Creek Hill area after a monsoon you will never forget it - 500 foot waterfalls all around. You can usually scare up snakes around a creek - a gorgeous riparian habitat just past Tortilla Flat.

Thank you sir! GREAT info! Ive never been south of PHX before, just east, west and north of there. Another question I must ask is, and a very important one too, are any of these lands on reservations? I do not want to herp their lands, for obvious reasons.

Also, how bad are the mountain lions in the area? Are they troublesome? Should I be worried?

Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The area east of Phoenix along Apache Trail is Tonto National Forest. If you have not been out there, you really MUST go. There are fewer more beautiful drives in the world than from Apache Junction to Roosevelt Lake on the Apache Trail. I mean it! It is just awesome.

If you go, stop at the Apache Lake Marina and store. They have a little restaurant/bar there. It is so midwestern feeling sitting there - like lakeside at a marina in Wisconsin or something - screen door, flypaper, ketchup and mustard on a checkered tablecloth. On Saturday nights in summer, there is usually quite a crowd of partiers with volleyball, dancing etc. There is a motel there, too, if you want to sleep it off. Believe me, you will not want to drive that road after having a couple beers (or you shouldn't anyway).

Old 05-25-2007, 03:24 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
Default Green Valley is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Where about is Green Valley? Is it a PHX satellite?

Ill also ask everyone again, how is South Mountain park? Is the neighborhood safe? Noone can seem to give me an answer. LOL
Green Valley is 25 miles south of Tucson.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks again to the both of you, youve been most helpful. Now, if my new snake chaps would just arrive....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona